Speculation: Offseason Thread: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
The team has assets if they want to rearrange the talent allocation. They can ship out more defensemen. They have room to take on salary (cheap owner not withstanding). Something can be done. If they want to.

I keep replaying some of those moments from the playoffs in my head where CBJ would repeatedly dump the puck, bunker, and never threaten to score because they lacked the skill.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
The team has assets if they want to rearrange the talent allocation. They can ship out more defensemen. They have room to take on salary (cheap owner not withstanding). Something can be done. If they want to.

I keep replaying some of those moments from the playoffs in my head where CBJ would repeatedly dump the puck, bunker, and never threaten to score because they lacked the skill.

Hopefully you aren't too sick of it, because you're getting more.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This is my big beef. "Internal growth" is bullshit. None of Tex, Bemstrum or Foudy are the kind of high skilled "top ten" picks that can realistically be expected to grow into elite offensive players. Tex is the one who has at least close to a 50/50 chance.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
No you aren't understanding me at all.

3 years ago was a very contentious negotiation. He had just come off a rookie season where he was close to scoring 20 goals and Jarmo insisted on paying him less than the CBJ paid Samuel Pahlsson. He held out because Jarmo wanted to pay him 4th liner money. I don't recall there was ever an ask for anything close to 7/7 3 years ago. In fact, comparable contracts at that time were around 2. he and his agent must have thought he was worth more than that.

He clearly wanted to make up for that now and Jarmo wasn't going to do it so they traded him. The deal he has in place now is ridiculous.

No, I understood you. I know about the negotiations 3 years ago & I literally saw like 2 seeks ago where it said Anderson(Ferris) asked for 7 years @ $7million per coming off of Josh's ELC. Obviously Jarmo didn't give it to him. Jarmo might have offered him $4 million for all we know & he could've said "no, only $7 million" & Jarmo was like "screw it, bare minimum then." Considering how Ferris bent Dubas over with Marner, I'm glad Jarmo held firm.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
No, I understood you. I know about the negotiations 3 years ago & I literally saw like 2 seeks ago where it said Anderson(Ferris) asked for 7 years @ $7million per coming off of Josh's ELC. Obviously Jarmo didn't give it to him. Jarmo might have offered him $4 million for all we know & he could've said "no, only $7 million" & Jarmo was like "screw it, bare minimum then." Considering how Ferris bent Dubas over with Marner, I'm glad Jarmo held firm.

I haven't paid attention to recent negotiations. I've personally been convinced Anderson played his last game in the CBJ sweater on the day he got injured last time and of course that ended up being true. I would have been truly shocked if he re-signed here.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
I haven't paid attention to recent negotiations. I've personally been convinced Anderson played his last game in the CBJ sweater on the day he got injured last time and of course that ended up being true. I would have been truly shocked if he re-signed here.

I thought it was very telling how he came out & said he wanted to stay. I think he came to the realization he wasn't gonna get the mega contract he thought he was($7+) so he was trying to back track a little bit. I liked Josh, but not at what he signed with Mtl for.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Antawn

Jan 30, 2020
Keep in mind that the cap is flat for 3 seasons. Even as excited as I am about the Hall idea (and I still think it's possible if we clear up this PLD junk), being able to resign Jones, Z and a goalie in 2 years has to play into everything the CBJ do. That can look like an internal cap.

But doesnt necessitate a Murray dump.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
Keep in mind that the cap is flat for 3 seasons. Even as excited as I am about the Hall idea (and I still think it's possible of we clear up this PLD junk), being able to resign Jones, Z and a goalie in 2 years has to play into everything the CBJ do. That can look like an internal cap.

What I said earlier. Z & Seth are probably gonna be close to double their salary, so that's $10 million right there. Toss in PLD, Gavrikov, I think Tex is do next off season too. We do have Savard/Dubi/Foligno coming off the books next year as well.

I still think there possibilities this FA. Vegas needs to shed, TB, & maybe even Toronto too, so there are options

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Extremely disappointing off season if no more big moves happen, but let’s put all the blame on Jarmo, we don’t know what the ownership told him

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Or hes trying not to throw ownership under the bus for not having as deep of pockets as some of the other owners

Or he decided that paying Hall $9m+ is f***ing stupid. (which would be correct).

looks like Hall is off the table. Only chance for improvement is if we trade with desperation teams.

Very cool. offseason gets a D.

Hasn't Jarmo been very clear all along that "we don't believe in free agency" "those are usually bad contracts", etc... and that we would use our cap space to get good players via trade from cap-strapped teams?

That was the right approach and it still is.

For offense, We added a legit 2C and elite 4C, giving up nothing from last year’s team, except Wennberg.

Defense is where the problem is. We gave up two half-decent 2nd pair guys for nothing. Hopefully Peeke takes a big step forward, because I cannot f***ing watch Scott Harrington play 60-70 times next year.

We gave up our #5 guy and our #8, boohoo. Kukan-Peeke should be a fine pairing. Signing Harrington was dumb to begin with but he's here and he won't hurt much playing as a spare. And I am a Clendening guy and Bayreuther looks pretty good too. Our D depth is just fine.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Keep in mind that the cap is flat for 3 seasons. Even as excited as I am about the Hall idea (and I still think it's possible if we clear up this PLD junk), being able to resign Jones, Z and a goalie in 2 years has to play into everything the CBJ do. That can look like an internal cap.

Cap won’t be flat for 3 seasons, TV contract is up in 2 years.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I’m not mad about missing out on Petro, give me Werenski and Jones over him and that’s what it comes down to.

If Hall signs for 7 years at 9 million, I’m perfectly fine with passing. The whole saying we are done with so many options still on the market (and Tampa being in cap hell) is what is upsetting.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
Did any of you watch the media availability or just saw the quotes from the beat writers? I don't think the vibe of it was as bad as it seemed from the quotes and something might still happen. Signing PLD is just by far the priority (as it should be).

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Or he decided that paying Hall $9m+ is f***ing stupid. (which would be correct).

Hasn't Jarmo been very clear all along that "we don't believe in free agency" "those are usually bad contracts", etc... and that we would use our cap space to get good players via trade from cap-strapped teams?

That was the right approach and it still is.

Normally I would agree. However I think you’re severely underrating Hall. He’s exactly what we needed. And 9 million for a former MVP on the right side of 30 isn’t albatross.

It’s a fine strategy when it works. And maybe it will. But nobody is cap strapped other than Tampa and I don’t see us going for Tyler Johnson or offer sheeting anyone. If this strategy falls on its face, which it likely will considering it’s been our strategy for years and it’s only worked with one team (twice), I don’t want to hear about how he’s trying to win a cup or believes in this team anymore.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well it takes 2 to tango.

If an offer sheet is a serious option it means Jarmo is lowballing again in negotiations and PLD is more interested in big dollars than being on this team.

We'd match just about anything, signing an offer sheet is obviously a way to get change your paycheck, not a way to change your address.

People need to relax. Negotiations take time, we're probably months away from this getting finalized.

Id be willing to bet Jarmo saw this as an oppurtunity to weaponize our cap space just like we do but the guy signing the checks isnt allowing it. Jarmo is in the position to take the heat and hes probably doing a good thing deflecting it to himself but im sure hes as upset about the situation as we are

Jarmo said before this started that UFA contracts are bad, and that that's not the approach. More than likely he offered what he thought Hall is worth and Hall obviously said no because he's going to get more than he's worth.

After Jarmo's statement that it seems like we have a lot of cap space but we really don't, if I'm another team that wants PLD they should offer sheet him, at $7M

Easy match. McConnell has like a billion dollars, similar to Tom Dundon who laughed when he had to match the offer sheet to Aho.

How is it Jarmo’s fault your shitty owner wants an internal cap? Explain.

It wouldn't be, but we've also never had a shitty owner and probably still don't. This is just hysteria on day 2 of FA because people spent too long in front of their screens waiting for their UFA dreams to come true.

If we make a trade, I hope Bemstrom is in there. He can't hold the puck! I know, 21, but if we add a top 6 winger (big if), I don't see where he plays.

*Edit nvm the trade, don't see where he plays

He can play in Cleveland if he doesn't make the team.

Do you know how much Kucherov scored in his 20 year old season (Bemstrom just finished his 20 year old season)? The same.

This is my big beef. "Internal growth" is bullshit. None of Tex, Bemstrum or Foudy are the kind of high skilled "top ten" picks that can realistically be expected to grow into elite offensive players. Tex is the one who has at least close to a 50/50 chance.

Yeah maybe none of them are 75-80 pt guys. Fortunately you don't need a lot of them to win the cup. Several teams have won the cup in the last ten years without any 65+ pt wingers. But you'd think from panicky fans today that we need like ten of them. And FWIW I wouldn't be surprised at all if Texier takes a huge step this year and someday scores 70+ pts.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
But nobody is cap strapped other than Tampa and I don’t see us going for Tyler Johnson or offer sheeting anyone

Vegas is. Toronto is pretty close, Calgary only has like 16 people signed. Chicago was close(traded Saad) & have no goalie. Boston has some finagling to do. Throw in whoever might sign Hall may need to move salary. Tampa isn't the only option by far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad