Speculation: Offseason Thread: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Pretty much. I think Jarmo clearly subscribes to the school of thought that a competitive NHL team needs key players who play above their AAV in order to win and that ELC is too short of a window.

He isn't trying to lowball players, but you can't build a competitive team by giving your core guys $10 million per year as soon as their ELC's are up. Then what are you going to do with UFA's? Expect THEM to take the pay cut? Because that isn't happening either. Suddenly you're paying most of your cap to 4 guys.

Pittsburgh didn't get where it was because they gave Crosby and Malkin huge deals straight away. Same with Chicago with Kane/Toews and Tampa with all of their guys.
Crosby and Malkin both got 8.7 on their 2nd deal.

Kane/Toews were 6.3 with bumps to 10.5 on their 3rd deals.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
We just saw it with Josh Anderson. After getting lowballed 3 years ago he was expecting to be taken care of long term and we clearly weren't going to offer that so he found a team that was going to give it. I'm pretty sure his agent helped negotiate that trade and we just happened to be lucky that they had a similar player they were looking to unload.

Please explain how not giving into his his 7/7 deal is "lowballing" him?

Reactions: thebus88

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
If your strategy still makes you a frequent cup contender then it is a good strategy. If you are constantly scrambling to find talent to replace the guys you let walk after lowballing them, it is probably a bad strategy.

Who did we low ball? I keep reading some of you constantly spewing this, yet don't hear you screaming that he should've given Johansen $8 million a year or upset he didn't cave to Anderson's 7/7 demand.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
But does it really work if the guy tries to pay you back when he has the leverage? It is possible to negotiate deals where both sides win. You pay a bit more per year and they give up a few UFA years when they figure to be in their prime.
Yes. How many RFA deal have we seen Jarmo get negotiated that seems like wins on both sides?

We seem to be the kings of the short term "bridge deal" and then when the bridge deal is over the player may not want to commit here long term or we don't have the money to pay them.

Antawn

Jan 30, 2020
Id also love to know who he considers “10 deep” on D
Jones/Z
Gavrikov/Savard
Kukan/Peeke
Bayreuther (great ahl numbers who stars fans are upset never got a real shot, still young, could be a great find)
Clendening
Carlson
Harrington

That's 10. We have every right to be disappointed if we're done, but defensive depth is still a strength of this team. Let's get some perspective.

Jarmo did a great job leveraging a 3rd in the Domi trade.

It's a short offseason, but you look at all the teams who are salary crunched already, there will be opportunities as teams have to shed to fit in their FAs. I want Hall, but if we can't do it, we might find something else. I've been a fan since inception. We're healthier from a cap perspective than we've ever been. How many teams can say they have no bad contracts? This is a well-managed team. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but this team is not a disaster. Trading Murray isn't a disaster.

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This free agency is far from over. I prefer to wait and see what happens.. if it turns out we are not in the running for any of those guys it is not because we don't have the money. You can't sign players that chose other destinations and that is a fact. Some weaker GM's would give more term or more $.. I don't see Jarmo doing that. In my opinion that approach is probably more sound than caving in. Internal growth, less injuries.. this is a realistic projection. Who am I kidding sign Alex Peitrangelo. Take the plunge Jarmo!!!

Reactions: Antawn

Antawn

Jan 30, 2020
If we make a trade, I hope Bemstrom is in there. He can't hold the puck! I know, 21, but if we add a top 6 winger (big if), I don't see where he plays.

*Edit nvm the trade, don't see where he plays

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So, just so I understand you, you're saying Jarmo should've just given him the 7 year, $7 million per? Because that's what was reported Anderson(Ferris) wanted.
No you aren't understanding me at all.

3 years ago was a very contentious negotiation. He had just come off a rookie season where he was close to scoring 20 goals and Jarmo insisted on paying him less than the CBJ paid Samuel Pahlsson. He held out because Jarmo wanted to pay him 4th liner money. I don't recall there was ever an ask for anything close to 7/7 3 years ago. In fact, comparable contracts at that time were around 2. he and his agent must have thought he was worth more than that.

He clearly wanted to make up for that now and Jarmo wasn't going to do it so they traded him. The deal he has in place now is ridiculous.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
If another team is willing to give an offer sheet to PLD warranting CBJ salary cuts (to match), we shouldnt have cut salary and gladly taken the picks in return.

but this wasn’t the real reason for cutting salary. Not suggesting an internal cap (yet) but perhaps some gamesmanship from Jarmo.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio

Hall talks officially done

Jarmo wasn’t willing to overpay (years and money) for Hall (which the team would have to do to compete with the Bruins of the world ). Which is understandable, because Hall’s injury history and age.

but settling for internal growth isn’t an appropriate consolation prize for competing next season.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Jones/Z
Gavrikov/Savard
Kukan/Peeke
Bayreuther (great ahl numbers who stars fans are upset never got a real shot, still young, could be a great find)
Clendening
Carlson
Harrington

That's 10. We have every right to be disappointed if we're done, but defensive depth is still a strength of this team. Let's get some perspective.

Jarmo did a great job leveraging a 3rd in the Domi trade.

It's a short offseason, but you look at all the teams who are salary crunched already, there will be opportunities as teams have to shed to fit in their FAs. I want Hall, but if we can't do it, we might find something else. I've been a fan since inception. We're healthier from a cap perspective than we've ever been. How many teams can say they have no bad contracts? This is a well-managed team. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but this team is not a disaster. Trading Murray isn't a disaster.

im not sure I’m excited about being another Kukan injury away from Clendening being an NHL regular, but yes, those are the names of 10 defensemen. I’m not sure I consider it “10 deep”.

Reactions: CPTN71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce