Speculation: Offseason Thread: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I've never given it much thought. Seven years ago Forbes said he had $730m, which with this year's FED money pouring into the market would easily balloon to over a billion dollars.
Found this about the somewhat current state of the business.

McConnell to step down as Worthington Industries CEO

Separately, the company on Thursday reported a steep drop in profit and sales for its fourth quarter because of the coronavirus.

The company reported profit of $16.2 million, or 29 cents per share, for the three-month that period that ended May 31, down from $37.7 million, or 66 cents per share, for the same period in 2019.

Sales fell from $938.8 million in the 2019 fourth quarter to $611.6 million this fourth quarter.
The most recent quarter’s results were hurt by a one-time charge of $15.7 million, or 20 cents per share.
During the quarter, the company said COVID-related shutdowns limited demand for its products during the quarter.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Seems like Jarmo is just going with his poker face now. I find it hard to believe the Dubois and Gavrikov protection is the main reason for creating $14M in cap space plus Duby’s LTIR.

If signing them is the end of the offseason then we’re basically positioned with a full cupboard of cap space, draft picks, prospects, and a young and deep roster. It will be like having the assets we did heading into the Duchene/Dzingel deadline with a more skilled, well rounded team. The worst case scenario here is signing Dubois and Gavrikov to long term, high cap hit deals with little space on top of that. If that’s what we have to do, then that kind of justifies creating flexibility by going with a cheaper, younger build on the depth D.

Reactions: majormajor

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
No one should pay attention to my opinion anyway, but here's my 2 cents. I agree with Jarmo that superstar UFA's rarely work out, and not just in hockey. I would rather Jarmo get two solid players in he $4-$5M range than one at $9M or $10M. Like all of you, Ive been reading the threads for the last week with all of the trade proposals with the most obvious thinking teams are going to trade away their dynamic scorers. Buffalo isn't trading Eichel, Winnipeg isn't trading Laine, Calgary isn't trading any of their scorers. These players are just too hard to find. Hell the Jackets, despite having opportunities galore to draft high have only had one homegrown player in 20 years and that was Rick Nash.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
No one should pay attention to my opinion anyway, but here's my 2 cents. I agree with Jarmo that superstar UFA's rarely work out, and not just in hockey. I would rather Jarmo get two solid players in he $4-$5M range than one at $9M or $10M. Like all of you, Ive been reading the threads for the last week with all of the trade proposals with the most obvious thinking teams are going to trade away their dynamic scorers. Buffalo isn't trading Eichel, Winnipeg isn't trading Laine, Calgary isn't trading any of their scorers. These players are just too hard to find. Hell the Jackets, despite having opportunities galore to draft high have only had one homegrown player in 20 years and that was Rick Nash.
With Hall it is very likely it might not work out. I don’t see how Pietrangelo signing might not work

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If Jarmo is sticking to a 3 year bridge deal for PLD he has sh*t for brains. Jackets haven't had a 1c since Joey crapped out and now have one who should be signed for at least 7 years and more preferably 8 at up to $8mm imo although 7 to 7-5 might be enough.

I'm inclined to agree but we can't rule out that PLD's camp is looking for even more money than that.

I'm pretty relaxed about getting the deal done eventually, these things take months so we might as well forget about it for a while.

But I'm really not looking forward to this board taking turns being super angry at PLD's demands or super angry at Jarmo's intransigence, all the while none of us actually know the offers they're working with.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Lol, this is as mild as it gets. Check some big market teams forums.

There’s very few people calling for firing Jarmo and the criticism that he’s getting is warranted because his actions go against his words.

Did I miss something?

Reactions: mikeyp24

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Found this about the somewhat current state of the business.

McConnell to step down as Worthington Industries CEO

Separately, the company on Thursday reported a steep drop in profit and sales for its fourth quarter because of the coronavirus.

The company reported profit of $16.2 million, or 29 cents per share, for the three-month that period that ended May 31, down from $37.7 million, or 66 cents per share, for the same period in 2019.

Sales fell from $938.8 million in the 2019 fourth quarter to $611.6 million this fourth quarter.
The most recent quarter’s results were hurt by a one-time charge of $15.7 million, or 20 cents per share.
During the quarter, the company said COVID-related shutdowns limited demand for its products during the quarter.

That one-time charge?

The Wennberg buyout

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Read the Montreal boards when the Domi/Anderson trade went down. Then read it again when the signed Josh for 7 years at $5.5M.
thus said american

He said we’re getting some serious forward help this off season, this hasn’t happened yet
Domi over Anderson??? That is serious help. Plus guess what still time for UFAs and trades... and contrary to popular belief you cant force people to sign here.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Jarmo is a mystery. Man steals some deals and then just hands stuff over. Domi acquisition for Anderson was brilliant, but then basically gave away legitimate Top 6 and arguably Top 4 in Murray and Nuutivara. Should've at least picked up some 2nds/3ds imho.

Koivu is a great addition, but CLB needs one of Hall/Hoffman/Toffoli

Reactions: Martin Sloan

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Holy hell, folks. I wasn't happy about the later trades either, but judging by some of the reactions here you'd think he just completely gutted the starting roster for nothing instead of dumping otherwise useful depth pieces.

Looking at some of the other deals that have been happening, I'm inclined to believe the market is just that bad this year. The Koivu signing makes it pretty obvious that Kekalainen's willing to restock that depth at lower prices as needed, so there's still going to be options - we don't have to commit to a ten-year multimillion dollar buyout in three or four years to improve the team.

And in the meantime, we've now got that playmaking #2C we didn't have last year. That is a huge upgrade. That was the most glaring hole in the lineup, and it's almost certainly settled now. And we lost essentially nothing of substance from last year's roster to do it. The starting roster we have right now is already substantially improved from what we ended last season with because of that alone.

I'm still hoping we get another quality forward, to be sure. But I'm not going to waste time being grumpy and depressed if the market doesn't fall that way.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Jarmo is a mystery. Man steals some deals and then just hands stuff over. Domi acquisition for Anderson was brilliant, but then basically gave away legitimate Top 6 and arguably Top 4 in Murray and Nuutivara. Should've at least picked up some 2nds/3ds imho.

Koivu is a great addition, but CLB needs one of Hall/Hoffman/Toffoli
its a flat cap pandemic league... people arent paying full price to take on cap.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I didn’t see NYI giving assets for free and they have less cap space and a better player to sign.

Jarmo's been more proactive creating needed space. We've essentially turned two injured players, a bottom-pairing/healthy scratch defenseman, and Wennberg into a 2C. That was our biggest weakness last year. Jarmo is going to be making a trade with a cap-strapped team to shore up the top-6 by adding a forward for pennies on the dollars. He wouldn't be able to do that AND re-sign PLD and Gavrikov to their expected contracts without the extra cap space he's ensured. Be patient.

Give it a watch. It seems our local media is trying to create and push their own narrative that there isn't anything else coming. Jarmo mentions multiple times that there will be some good opportunities to poach a good player from a desperate team. I'm keeping an eye out for a trade with Vegas, Tampa, Toronto, Calgary, etc. And don't forget the teams with true internal caps.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I want to know what other team is in the position to realistically offer sheet PLD.

Ottawa and Detroit, Buffalo? And candidly, if they offer PLD $10-$11M and he signs it, I take their next 4 first round picks (they should be top 5 picks) and don’t look back

(in other words, it’s not happening and is cover for the internal cap)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
@Viqsi we are not exactly hurting by losing Nuti and Murray, it’s the urgency and the return we got from these trades that’s questionable
That's the thing, though. Look at the kind of money folks are getting - most of them are tiny bridge deals. Look at other trades around the league and their pitiful returns - Stastny, Gudbranson, Andreas Johnsson. Nashville had to pay extra to move Bonino to a team desperate for centers. Chicago got Colorado's #7D for Saad, and still had to retain salary AND throw in a decent prospect. And we were arguably a beneficiary with the Domi trade.

We knew the market was going to be badly affected by the pandemic. We just didn't realize the full impact until Kekalainen made three moves in a row and thereby threw it into sharp relief.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Ottawa and Detroit, Buffalo? And candidly, if they offer PLD $10-$11M and he signs it, I take their next 4 first round picks (they should be top 5 picks) and don’t look back

(in other words, it’s not happening and is cover for the internal cap)

take the four first round picks, let him go.

Immediately offer sheet Barzal. Done.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71 and Fro

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It was a good time to offload salary while not having to take any back as cap room started to fall.
I'm used to offloading salary by figuring out decent asset exchanges. The idea of just dumping guys for next to nothing and then (as needed) picking up the folks everyone else dumped at rock bottom prices simply didn't occur to me. But that looks like it's a viable play simply because of the sheer number of folks getting desperate this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad