Speculation: Offseason Thread: ideas, proposals, general roster discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Normally I would agree. However I think you’re severely underrating Hall. He’s exactly what we needed. And 9 million for a former MVP on the right side of 30 isn’t albatross.

It’s a fine strategy when it works. And maybe it will. But nobody is cap strapped other than Tampa and I don’t see us going for Tyler Johnson or offer sheeting anyone. If this strategy falls on its face, which it likely will considering it’s been our strategy for years and it’s only worked with one team (twice), I don’t want to hear about how he’s trying to win a cup or believes in this team anymore.

Not many teams are cap strapped yet because most of the UFAs haven't signed yet. Everything is pushed back with the elimination of the negotiation window. You'll have plenty of time to talk shit when it's over.

"Former MVP" is a very kind way of describing Hall. He has been in the league ten years now and he's scored more than 53 pts three times. Paying him $9m would be awful.

You seem to be saying that if you aren't going all-out for the top UFAs, that you aren't trying to win a cup? I think you just have a different philosophy here. I'm looking at successful teams and seeing "draft and develop" and "smart trade" a lot more than "massive UFA signing". Jarmo is obviously trying to build a winner.

Reactions: Monstershockey

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not many teams are cap strapped yet because most of the UFAs haven't signed yet. Everything is pushed back with the elimination of the negotiation window. You'll have plenty of time to talk shit when it's over.

"Former MVP" is a very kind way of describing Hall. He has been in the league ten years now and he's scored more than 53 pts three times. Paying him $9m would be awful.

You seem to be saying that if you aren't going all-out for the top UFAs, that you aren't trying to win a cup? I think you just have a different philosophy here. I'm looking at successful teams and seeing "draft and develop" and "smart trade" a lot more than "massive UFA signing". Jarmo is obviously trying to build a winner.

No what I’m saying is when you say the team has a gigantic hole in Play making talent and scoring ability In the top 6, and your only means to address that talent gap is signing 40 year old Mikko koivu. That’s when I stop taking you seriously

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No what I’m saying is when you say the team has a gigantic hole in Play making talent and scoring ability In the top 6, and your only means to address that talent gap is signing 40 year old Mikko koivu. That’s when I stop taking you seriously

I obviously haven't said that, nor has Jarmo or anyone else.

Perhaps we'll find in a couple days that Jarmo has signed Granlund or perhaps he's found a trade that he likes. We should take for granted that he's looking for a trade to help with our playmaking deficit. The idea that he just isn't trying or that he's a coward are ridiculous. For all I know Jarmo is the most active GM in the league and gives the least amount of f***s.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
According to the Athletic article posted by Portzline, the team is insistent on the 3 year bridge deal again.

It isn't going to take much of an offer sheet to force the team's hand. I mean William Nylander got a 6 year deal after a lengthy holdout and he wasn't a 3rd overall pick or a center. He did have relatively comparable points numbers to PLD.

If the 3 year bridge deal is the hill Jarmo wants to die on so be it. He might have gotten Werenski to agree to it but when a team with a long history of weakness at center tries to do it to the 1 actual center they have it won't end well.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I obviously haven't said that, nor has Jarmo or anyone else.

Perhaps we'll find in a couple days that Jarmo has signed Granlund or perhaps he's found a trade that he likes. We should take for granted that he's looking for a trade to help with our playmaking deficit. The idea that he just isn't trying or that he's a coward are ridiculous. For all I know Jarmo is the most active GM in the league and gives the least amount of f***s.

Jarmo hasn’t said our team needs is talent in the top 6? He clearly has. He said his main goals this offseason was

1: improve the center of the ice
2. Get a game changer at forward, or at least another good top 6 option.

So he got 1 down (he says, I don’t necessarily agree). And hasn’t tried addressing 2 in a meaningful way yet. I don’t want to hear “growing from within”. We’ve been in the top of youngest teams forever, it’s time to mature and make the team better again rather than waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
According to the Athletic article posted by Portzline, the team is insistent on the 3 year bridge deal again.

It isn't going to take much of an offer sheet to force the team's hand. I mean William Nylander got a 6 year deal after a lengthy holdout and he wasn't a 3rd overall pick or a center. He did have relatively comparable points numbers to PLD.

If the 3 year bridge deal is the hill Jarmo wants to die on so be it. He might have gotten Werenski to agree to it but when a team with a long history of weakness at center tries to do it to the 1 actual center they have it won't end well.

If those are the parameters I'm not in support of Jarmo trying to bridge him. PLD is too damn important and he knows it, there's no way around paying him.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
I think Hoffman will get more years and money but if that was on the table, I would totally be fine with that. But are the owners fine?

Realistically, if Jarmo signs someone before he goes dumpster diving, I think it'll be Granlund.

Hoffman is not taking 5M AAV when he's coming off a contract with a $5.1+ AAV.

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jarmo hasn’t said our team needs is talent in the top 6? He clearly has. He said his main goals this offseason was

1: improve the center of the ice
2. Get a game changer at forward, or at least another good top 6 option.

So he got 1 down (he says, I don’t necessarily agree). And hasn’t tried addressing 2 in a meaningful way yet. I don’t want to hear “growing from within”. We’ve been in the top of toughest teams forever, it’s time to mature and make the team better again rather than waiting.

I think there was a misread somewhere. He knows we need an offensive upgrade, what he didn't say is that the only means to do that is getting Mikko Koivu. Or that he "isn't trying" to get a forward upgrade. Not throwing money at Hall doesn't mean he isn't trying to get a forward - remember he said at the outset that he's trying to make trades, not big UFA signings.

Also aren't you the guy saying that Koivu is a 3C? So that in your view Jarmo just got us a new 2C and a new 3C, and you're saying you don't necessarily agree that he's improved the center of the ice? It sounds like there's just no way to please you.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I mean it seems like Jarmo is worried about something he is in control of. If you’re worried about Dubois offer sheets then why not sign him yesterday? Seriously?

It makes zero sense. If we’ve cleared space to match any offer , why not make a big offer ? I would be pretty livid if I was PLD.

I know I dismissed it earlier, but this reeks of internal cap.

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I think there was a misread somewhere. He knows we need an offensive upgrade, what he didn't say is that the only means to do that is getting Mikko Koivu. Or that he "isn't trying" to get a forward upgrade. Not throwing money at Hall doesn't mean he isn't trying to get a forward - remember he said at the outset that he's trying to make trades, not big UFA signings.

Also aren't you the guy saying that Koivu is a 3C? So that in your view Jarmo just got us a new 2C and a new 3C, and you're saying you don't necessarily agree that he's improved the center of the ice? It sounds like there's just no way to please you.

It’s not Koivu who I’m not convinced about.

Well see what he does. If this is the opening night roster, I don’t want to hear it

Reactions: EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Jarmo is sticking to a 3 year bridge deal for PLD he has sh*t for brains. Jackets haven't had a 1c since Joey crapped out and now have one who should be signed for at least 7 years and more preferably 8 at up to $8mm imo although 7 to 7-5 might be enough.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
The posts on this subject the past few days give me a hearty belly laugh. It is only October 10, the season by some accounts MAY start on January 1, and many are acting like Jarmo won't get what we need. SMH. How about waiting a while before you start crucifying him? A lot can happen between now and January 1. heck, a lot HAS happened since the last January 1. It is still WAY early and he has a lot of time. Who knows, we may not even have a season by January 1, the League and Players need to agree on a protocol. Jarmo knows what he is doing, even as many on the board don't know what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad