Speculation: Offseason Thread #6 (Mod post #318)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Zipay has been horrendous lately. With that Malkin to Chicago rumour and attacking like a child to everyone who told him the nonsensical it was.
The only NYR beatwriter I respect is Andrew Gross, and I read he might cover the Devils next season

Yeah Zip dipped his toe in the deep end and got absolutely humiliated.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Zipay has been horrendous lately. With that Malkin to Chicago rumour and attacking like a child to everyone who told him the nonsensical it was.
The only NYR beatwriter I respect is Andrew Gross, and I read he might cover the Devils next season

I think Brett and Brooks from the NY Post are Islander fans covering the Rangers.

Zipay and Carpinello have been testy to Rangers fans at times.

I like Gross the best as well.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Here's one thing about a potential Stamkos contract. Pretty decent chance that either the NHLPA or the NHL opts out of the CBA in 2019. Any new CBA will have a compliance buyout without penalty, so in theory the Rangers could get out of a Stamkos contract after what should be the most productive years and before his play deteriorates too much and it becomes a giant albatross.

I wouldn't bank on that happening. In the 2005 CBA, they had compliance buyouts because the salary cap was brand new and teams needed to become compliant. In the 2012 CBA, the cap dropped by a significant amount, prompting the need for compliance buyouts.

We have no idea what will happen in the next CBA. Will the cap drop again? If so, by how much? I have a hard time seeing the NHLPA taking less than the 50% they are getting now. If the cap doesn't drop, I wouldn't expect there to be compliance buyouts.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If I was in charge I would make a much looser cap. It is really penalizing teams that do well too much. Look at the guys Chicago has had to dump over the years. It has gotten kind of ridiculous. I understand the reasons we have a cap but I feel it is too strict a cap. Teams pay too big a price for winning. Players also pay a price for excelling. Often guys have to leave their teams a year or two after they have breakout seasons. I'm okay with having a cap but I think the teams and players should agree on a more flexible cap.

rvdnsx

Jun 30, 2003
Holding pattern right now because of Stamkos, NYR not gonna trade guys like Stepan, Nash, or Brass to free up cap space unless a Stamkos deal is in place. If there is no Stamkos deal, expect those 3 to be with us next year. Staal and Girardi are independent of Stamkos because Rangers just wanna get out of their contracts. If

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If I was in charge I would make a much looser cap. It is really penalizing teams that do well too much. Look at the guys Chicago has had to dump over the years. It has gotten kind of ridiculous. I understand the reasons we have a cap but I feel it is too strict a cap. Teams pay too big a price for winning. Players also pay a price for excelling. Often guys have to leave their teams a year or two after they have breakout seasons. I'm okay with having a cap but I think the teams and players should agree on a more flexible cap.

Those players who have to leave their teams end up making more money.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

This is exactly what the league wants. It is exactly why they structured the last CBA the way they did...eliminating back diving contracts, 7/8 year term limits, 50/50 revenue split, any currency hedging revenue not counting as HRR. The advantage big market teams had is whittled down year after year.

Forced parity is the #1 priority for the league. That's why the screwy loser point system still stands...why the expansion draft rules are the way they are. Etc.

The number of teams that benefit from these changes outweighs (and thus can outvote) the big market teams and it only increases with expansion. If there is less money to be spent in the market by the Rangers/Hawks of the world, it is more likely that a top tier UFA is gonna have his best offer come from Florida or Phoenix.

When will the revenue generating teams say enough is enough? When it hurts their bottom line. The last few years a strong CAD and increased national TV contracts has lifted all boats. It will be interesting to see what the climate is like when the next CBA expires.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Those players who have to leave their teams end up making more money.
It used to be players could get raises and stay with their teams. Sometimes they still do but then a year later teams look to trade them in large part because of their contracts and cap room. I'm not against the cap. I just think it is too firm a cap. I think it hurts teams, players and most of all fans. Outside of Lundy how many players on our team today were here 6 years ago?

This is exactly what the league wants. It is exactly why they structured the last CBA the way they did...eliminating back diving contracts, 7/8 year term limits, 50/50 revenue split, any currency hedging revenue not counting as HRR. The advantage big market teams had is whittled down year after year.

Forced parity is the #1 priority for the league. That's why the screwy loser point system still stands...why the expansion draft rules are the way they are. Etc.

The number of teams that benefit from these changes outweighs (and thus can outvote) the big market teams and it only increases with expansion. If there is less money to be spent in the market by the Rangers/Hawks of the world, it is more likely that a top tier UFA is gonna have his best offer come from Florida or Phoenix.

When will the revenue generating teams say enough is enough? When it hurts their bottom line. The last few years a strong CAD and increased national TV contracts has lifted all boats. It will be interesting to see what the climate is like when the next CBA expires.

I know its by design but maybe the quest for parity has gone too far. Should teams and their fans be penalized for excellance to such a large degree? Why should we hammer teams that do well to reward teams that do not do well to such a large degree? Is it possible that we could have a looser cap so that you do not have to lose guys you spent years developing so often? Last year we thought Stepan was worth 6.5 mill. Now the only reason we are considering trading him is to make cap room for another player. Its not a situation like Girardi or Staal that we are looking to trade him because he declined. Years ago nobody would be thinking of trading a young player like Kreider but now we are because we are afraid he will take up too much cap room. I never liked when fans went from judging players abilities to being accountants. Teams should try to ice their best teams not keep underperforming guys over better performing guys. I'm for the cap. I just think a looser cap would benefit the league.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Anyone else notice how bad Tampa has been at picking in the first round... Drouin exempt because he's a stud.

Brett conolly deangelo

DeAngelo just finished with 43 points in 69 games as an AHL rookie. Way too early to call him a bad pick.

Connolly wasn't a bad pick at the time, perhaps a bit of a reach considering the injury concerns, but what really did him in was throwing him into the NHL too soon. Playing over his head and not getting enough ice time.

Koekkoek's injuries hurt him a lot, but he's turned into a solid defensive D who can skate and move the puck well. Vasilevskiy is a surefire #1 in the league. In fact, the Rangers were hot after him in 2012. Wonder what drafting him would have done for the future of this team and Lundqvist.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I wouldn't bank on that happening. In the 2005 CBA, they had compliance buyouts because the salary cap was brand new and teams needed to become compliant. In the 2012 CBA, the cap dropped by a significant amount, prompting the need for compliance buyouts.

We have no idea what will happen in the next CBA. Will the cap drop again? If so, by how much? I have a hard time seeing the NHLPA taking less than the 50% they are getting now. If the cap doesn't drop, I wouldn't expect there to be compliance buyouts.

Nothing is certain but I have a hard time believing league revenues will grow by percentage that much more than they did this past year, eventually the owners are going to say the players share is still too high.

The union is still messed up, if they would have been basically telling players to get large amounts of bonus money only in the possible years of a work stoppage, they'd have some leverage but as far as I have seen only a few players or agents actually figured out a way to do that.

But it works both ways, if the Canadian dollar improves it's possible real revenue growth takes place again and they will not want to stagnant it by having a lengthy battle.

Depends on how one would bet, I'd bet the first thing happens. It's not like expansion teams are going to raise the revenue figure all that much, in fact I'd guess they end up being takers on the revenue sharing list by then.

The league is about to add in a whole boat load of new player salaries to the players share, add another whole boat load of operating expenses, if revenue can not keep up, it's not going to be the owners who decide to cover the difference in the next CBA.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Sort of bet Rangers are waiting on Stamkos sweepstakes. To see if they are serious players. If they are, they make moves to accommodate. If they aren't, they push forward with plan B. Until then, I don't know if we'll see much activity since other teams around the league might be doing the same.

EDIT - See I was beaten to this punch.

Last edited:

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
I'm not ok with having a cap, I think it's ********! It's the successful teams bailing out the useless incompetent teams!

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I could see Tampa signing Stamkos to an 8 year deal the very last moment they possibly can right before free agency officially starts.

They are in a unique position to pretty much troll the rest of the teams who are waiting to see what happens instead of just doing whats best for their team in the mean time.

It only works if both Stamkos and Tampa already have a deal done and just waiting to be filed, one they both trust will not change, which I do not find all that far fetched.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Holding pattern right now because of Stamkos, NYR not gonna trade guys like Stepan, Nash, or Brass to free up cap space unless a Stamkos deal is in place. If there is no Stamkos deal, expect those 3 to be with us next year. Staal and Girardi are independent of Stamkos because Rangers just wanna get out of their contracts. If

I'd listen to this guy. But what do I know?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
some interesting names NOT qualified so UFA if unsigned by July 1

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2089333

Brandon Pirri, Joe Colborne, Landon Ferraro, , Drew Shore,
and NJD: ?Beau Bennett who NJD just gave a pick for?, Jon Merrill, Devante Smith-Pelley

I am not lobbying for any to join NYR,
although Colbourne just had his best NHL season and
Merrill is maybe as good, or better, than Holden

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Some RFA notables:
  • Brett Connolly
  • Joe Colborne
  • Devante Smith Pelly
  • Brandon Gormley
  • Jon Merril
  • Kenny Agostino
  • Landon Ferraro
  • Brandon Pirri
  • Michael Chaput
  • Gabriel Bourque
  • Josh Jooris
  • Quinton Howden
  • Drew Shore
  • Beau Bennett
  • Jeremy Morin
  • Patrick Weircoch
  • Justin Schultz
  • Kevin Czuczman
  • Mike Halmo
  • Cody Hodgson
  • Michael Paliotta
  • Bryce Van Brabant

Not all of them will go to UFA though. We have a lot of contract space in regards to avaliable SPCs. Would like to nab3-4 of these guys for bottom lines/organisational depth in Hartford. But maybe the coming trades will derail this? At least some of it...

I would go after Pirri, Schultz, Wiercioch, Bennett, and maybe Paliotta and DSP. Possibly Howden. Maybe Merrill. Connolly possibly.

No go on BVB, Hodgson, Halmo, Czuczman, Morin, Shore, Jooris, Bourque, Chaput, Ferraro, Agostino, Gormley, Colborne.

Why didn't the Devils qualify Bennett though? They traded #77 OVR for him. That'd be kind of weird, just giving away a pick for free.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm not ok with having a cap, I think it's ********! It's the successful teams bailing out the useless incompetent teams!

Well I would encourage a much looser cap since I do not think the cap will go away entirely any time soon.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Sort of bet Rangers are waiting on Stamkos sweepstakes. To see if they are serious players. If they are, they make moves to accommodate. If they aren't, they push forward with plan B. Until then, I don't know if we'll see much activity since other teams around the league might be doing the same.

I agree. I think one of those moves will be flipping Stepan in a deal for Shattenkirk.

I'm hopeful for plan B, but I'd wager plan B is sit tight and hope the landscape changes.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
What was the knock on Pirri? That he scores well but does nothing else?

Schultz is one of those guys I'd take a flyer on if he could be had cheap and we knew he wouldn't be put into a situation where he'd have to play hard minutes, but I have doubts about that.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
A few other notable RFAs that weren't qualified are:

• Kevin Connauton
  • Klas Dahlbeck
  • Jarred Tinordi
  • Bill Arnold
  • Taylor Beck
  • Adam Clendening

The only ones I might take a chance on out of the players listed there though are Clendening, and Connauton.

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
Did not see this posted, but I thought it was interesting. I would definitely be on board for Stamkos if he took "less" money.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-...tamkos/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"So let’s see how it all plays out. Let’s see – It’s not just about money with Steven Stamkos, if you know the guy. But it is the biggest contract of his life, and I think it behooves him to carefully listen to everything that’s in front of him before making a really intelligent decision, and that’s what he plans to do.â€

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It certainly doesnt make up for much but the publicity he would get in NY would sure as hell raise his brand image even higher in the spotlight here. I think he would get more endorsements in this market than pretty much any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad