Speculation: Offseason Thread #6 (Mod post #318)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
No. You tell him he can play on his QO, on the offer the Rangers present that I'm sure will be less than $3.5m, or not at all.

Hayes is arbitration eligible, so it won't come to that. I can't see him getting much more than 2 mil on a 1 year arbitration award.

Hayes has 3 years until UFA, so the only real options for him are 1, 2 or 4 year deals. I can't see the Rangers offering 4. They will low-ball him on a 2 year deal and maybe it goes to arbitration.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Non-Stamkos related thought: if the Kevin Hayes camp gets crazy and starts asking for $3.5-$4m, should we explore trading him and signing Vadim Shipachyov, who apparently is still open to playing in the NHL?

Shipachyov is 29. He is not remotely comparable to Hayes. Hayes has a huge future and hopefully it's with the Rangers.

This would be a completely idiotic move with no thought towards the future.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hayes is arbitration eligible, so it won't come to that. I can't see him getting much more than 2 mil on a 1 year arbitration award.

Hayes has 3 years until UFA, so the only real options for him are 1, 2 or 4 year deals. I can't see the Rangers offering 4. They will low-ball him on a 2 year deal and maybe it goes to arbitration.

Damn. I finally take a hard stance on a player other than Miller and it blows up in my face.

Speaking of Miller...

Hayes would have to be on drugs to ask for any serious money after the awful showing he had this past season

What would you offer JT on his contract right now?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Reports out of Russia is that Nuke isn't happy in Dallas and may jump ship back to his old KHL team.

[Tweet]747830483610968072[/MEDIA]

Last edited:

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Shipachyov is 29. He is not remotely comparable to Hayes. Hayes has a huge future and hopefully it's with the Rangers.

This would be a completely idiotic move with no thought towards the future.

So that's why Sather passed over me for Gorton. Damn it. :rant:

I would say right now, there is a good argument to be made that Shipachyov is a better talent than Hayes, and is more suited to a Win Now team looking to retool on the fly, such as NYR. I'm generally in the "don't give up on Hayes" camp, I think he has the ability to be a special player. But bringing in Shipachyov is an interesting thought. Plenty of teams want to bring him in, and some would even slot him into their Top 6 right away. Watching him Center Buch on the third line would be intriguing.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

I would say right now, there is a good argument to be made that Shipachyov is a better talent than Hayes, and is more suited to a Win Now team looking to retool on the fly, such as NYR. I'm generally in the "don't give up on Hayes" camp, I think he has the ability to be a special player. But bringing in Shipachyov is an interesting thought. Plenty of teams want to bring him in, and some would even slot him into their Top 6 right away. Watching him Center Buch on the third line would be intriguing.

I sent Slats my resume too. Hand written and everything.... I thought it would give me the Trottier edge.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
They absolutely need to get rid of Eberle. There's quite a few big contracts on that roster for a team that is always in the basement.

The problem is I don't think Eberle gets them what they're looking for, which is a top-pairing D. I think they have to part with Hall, or one of RNH or Draisaitl in order to make that happen.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I love that Chia will have traded both Taylor and Tyler, just as they were hitting their primes.

He's a pretty lousy GM, that's for sure. People are going to laud him if he can turn the Oilers around, but honestly you'd have to be a complete buffoon to screw up a team that had Connor McDavid fall into your lap.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Did not see this posted, but I thought it was interesting. I would definitely be on board for Stamkos if he took "less" money.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-...tamkos/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Not me. I only want Stamkos at a max contract. :sarcasm:

All kidding aside every free agent says they will take less money for the "right" situation. Nobody wants to come off greedy when they are about to sign a huge contract. It's a PR move to say he will take less, what is less? A million a year less is still 9M a year.

Let him go somewhere else with the pressure of having that contract. The best situation for him is Tampa. If he wanted less he could get it AND more from Tampa simply because they could offer no state income tax and an extra year on the contract. With one beat writer that I'm fairly certain only goes to home games and certain road games. No pressure, great weather, more money, little media attention, established roots. I understand why Stamkos hasn't signed with Tampa yet. Hell, I would want to hear all offers, maybe a team will give him a max contract. He can't turn that down. But he is nuts to leave Tampa. They can offer him everything he wants.

But his agent did his job. The press is reporting the story and fans of teams are eating it up. Not to mention saying he will take less money brings more teams into the negotiations.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

As of now, we are not a win-now team. And I'm of the belief that Hayes is better than Shipachyov.

People really underrated the season he had last year. It wasn't a horrendous sophomore year.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
If they sign Lucic, they're going to have roughly $16m tied up in top 3 LWers.

I suppose they'd probably move Benny P. Who's going to take Pouliot at $4m for three more seasons? How much value does he have?

Lucic to Edmonton just doesn't really make sense to me.

At least they'll have spent the money on "good" LWs. Not like us, huh? With the $11.5m tied up in the third D-line ...

As for who is going to take Benny P., HFNYR seems willing to make that mistake. But yeah, if they sign Lucic, Pouliot will be out, or they have the cap and roll with it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Unless this is for four or more years, it's too much money, and I really hesitate giving Miller more than two years right now. Hayes too, for that matter, before everyone yells at me for being all biased again :P
I'd be hoping for a 3 year contract at that amount.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Come on Dallas, send him our way for Staal who can be your new #1 LHD!

He is still a second pairing Dman and he's not old. Also if he's dealt after July the actual money owed to Staal averages out to be $3.54 million per year if the Rangers retain $1.7. That would be lower then his cap hit of $4.

I could see interest increasing if Dallas misses out on any UFAs.

Staal would still have to waive though....

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Stamkos might end up getting 8 years from TB in a sign and trade. The Lightning lose their ability to offer Stamkos 8 years at the start of the new league year. If Stamkos goes to July 1 unsigned,he can only get 7 years from TB. It will known soon if Stamkos is staying in Tampa. It would benefit Stamkos to get the 8th year and TB which gets back an asset(s)if Stamkos is not staying in TB. A draft pick or a young player or a combination of both for 8 years of Stamkos. "Free" agent.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
He's a pretty lousy GM, that's for sure. People are going to laud him if he can turn the Oilers around, but honestly you'd have to be a complete buffoon to screw up a team that had Connor McDavid fall into your lap.

Yeah really. "Won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes, led Oilers to complete rejuvenation over the next decade." Jeez Chia, what was your secret?!

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Stamkos might end up getting 8 years from TB in a sign and trade. The Lightning lose their ability to offer Stamkos 8 years at the start of the new league year. If Stamkos goes to July 1 unsigned,he can only get 7 years from TB. It will known soon if Stamkos is staying in Tampa. It would benefit Stamkos to get the 8th year and TB which gets back an asset(s)if Stamkos is not staying in TB. A draft pick or a young player or a combination of both for 8 years of Stamkos. "Free" agent.

That seems like a lot of wishful thinking of a Tampa beat writer. Why add the extra layer of complication and level of control to Tampa at this point?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
What is the trade value anyway, you'd base it of the 8th year of the deal when he's 34 it doesn't make much sense for Tampa but I guess any return is better than no return.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
That seems like a lot of wishful thinking of a Tampa beat writer. Why add the extra layer of complication and level of control to Tampa at this point?

Chris Johnston of Sportsnet also wrote about it. Pierre LeBrun discussed it at the draft. The level of control goes away soon. It's already Tuesday. The market opens up in less than 72 hours. If Stamkos does not want to return to TB,he can only get 7 years. If Stamkos and the two teams can work out a deal,everyone benefits. 8 years.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If he won't command much, bringing back Dale Weise makes a ton of sense. One of the more ridiculous things the Rangers did was letting him go for nothing. Didn't make sense then, doesn't make sense now.

Get him in, and get Glass out.

This is why I unfollowed Zipay on twitter...

because some idiot (read: me) made up a fake tweet and posted it on a message board? I made that thing in MS Paint which doesn't have the font that Twitter uses. Can't believe how many people think it's real :laugh: Not sure if that says more about those being "fooled" by it, or Zipay :biglaugh:

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Chris Johnston of Sportsnet also wrote about it. Pierre LeBrun discussed it at the draft. The level of control goes away soon. It's already Tuesday. The market opens up in less than 72 hours. If Stamkos does not want to return to TB,he can only get 7 years. If Stamkos and the two teams can work out a deal,everyone benefits. 8 years.

Sure, but the last year of the deal he'll only be getting 5-6 million in real dollars. Entirely possible given cap inflation that he could be signing a new deal for that much. I'm just saying the lure of the 8th year isn't as big as people make it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad