Speculation: Offseason Thread #3: Literally Summer / Nothing Is Superior to Something Dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You know how much can change in a year? Relying on Shattenkirk to hit free agency is a terrible plan if he's a player you really want.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Nash+Staal+Hayes for #8. We can eat all of Nash's contract.

Hell no.

Why the hell would we trade Hayes who is a young NHLer that will at worst be a 40 point 3rd line player, and at best a 60 point player for the 8th overall pick which might not even make it to the NHL?

And at the same time trading away Nash and Staal when we could get more assets from other teams for them?

One of the worst proposals here in awhile.

KreiderHouseRules*

The + will come from the NYR unless they retain 50% on Nash

Doubt that.

I think with no salary retained, it's Nash for Shatt straight up; maybe Ryan Reaves or some other undesirable coming to NY as well as a "cap dump" but nothing major.

With 1-2M retained it's Nash for Shatt and a pick or prospect.

Rick Nash still has a lot more value around the league than some think. GMs don't write a perennial 35+ goal scorer off after ONE down year. And he's only 31. It's not like he's 35.

Nash with minimal to no retention will bring back a nice piece like Shatt. Nash with serious (more than 25%) retention brings back a very nice package of young, cost-controlled assets.

Watch.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You know how much can change in a year? Relying on Shattenkirk to hit free agency is a terrible plan if he's a player you really want.

Normally I would agree but this organization does not have the assets to go after Shattwnkirk in a trade. Hope he hits UFA and try and rebuild through young players and picks this offseason. Otherwise you're going to be in the same situation next year with no one surrounding Shattenkirk and another UFA/Yandle situation.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Doubt that.

I think with no salary retained, it's Nash for Shatt straight up; maybe Ryan Reaves or some other undesirable coming to NY as well as a "cap dump" but nothing major.

With 1-2M retained it's Nash for Shatt and a pick or prospect.

Rick Nash still has a lot more value around the league than some think. GMs don't write a perennial 35+ goal scorer off after ONE down year. And he's only 31. It's not like he's 35.

Nash with minimal to no retention will bring back a nice piece like Shatt. Nash with serious (more than 25%) retention brings back a very nice package of young, cost-controlled assets.

Watch.

I agree. Nash at, let's say, $5M for 2 years, is very valuable.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Stepan for Dvorak, Hanzal and the #7.

Hanzal and the #7 for the #3 and #64.

Nash with $2.8 retained for Shattenkirk.

Sign Stamkos 7 years $70 million.

Sign Riley Nash 2 years $3 million.

Sign Helm 3 years $9 million.

Buyout Girardi.

Kreider ($4) - Stamkos ($10) - Puljujarvi ($950k)
Miller ($4) - Brassard ($5) - Zucc ($4.5)
Helm ($3) - Hayes ($2) - Buch ($950k)
Lindberg ($650k) - Riley Nash ($1.5) - Fast ($950k)
Hrivik ($750k)

Forwards: $37.5 million

McD ($4.7) - Shattenkirk ($4.25)
Staal ($5.5) - Klein ($2.9)
Skjei ($950k) - McI ($1)
XXXX ($1)

Defense: $20.5

Lundqvist ($8.5)
Raanta ($1)

Goalies: $9.5

Retained/Buyout cap hits: $4.5

Total: $72 million leaving $1 million in cap room, 22 man roster.

Or instead of signing Helm have Dvorak as the third line LW and that frees up another $2 million.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Oh FFS, do not trade valuable assets for a guy you know wants to come here, and who you can get for just $ in one year's time. There are no quick fixes for this team; we need to build for the future. If you want Shatty, get him next offseason. In the meantime, use Nash to replenish the prospect/pick/young player cupboard. :rant::banghead:

i'm not saying we should trade for him...but you have to realize that there is a good chance he won't make it to UFA status. if the blues can't sign him, they will trade him and that team will sign him...

i remember waiting for joe thornton to be a ufa and watching him sign right before july 1st like 3 or 4 different times LOL

if you believe shattenkirk is the RIGHT guy and part of the long term solution then sitting around for 13 months with your fingers crossed isn't always the best plan

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Stepan for Dvorak, Hanzal and the #7.

Hanzal and the #7 for the #3 and #64.

Nash with $2.8 retained for Shattenkirk.

Sign Stamkos 7 years $70 million.

Sign Riley Nash 2 years $3 million.

Sign Helm 3 years $9 million.

Buyout Girardi.

Kreider ($4) - Stamkos ($10) - Puljujarvi ($950k)
Miller ($4) - Brassard ($5) - Zucc ($4.5)
Helm ($3) - Hayes ($2) - Buch ($950k)
Lindberg ($650k) - Riley Nash ($1.5) - Fast ($950k)
Hrivik ($750k)

Forwards: $37.5 million

McD ($4.7) - Shattenkirk ($4.25)
Staal ($5.5) - Klein ($2.9)
Skjei ($950k) - McI ($1)
XXXX ($1)

Defense: $20.5

Lundqvist ($8.5)
Raanta ($1)

Goalies: $9.5

Retained/Buyout cap hits: $4.5

Total: $72 million leaving $1 million in cap room, 22 man roster.

Or instead of signing Helm have Dvorak as the third line LW and that frees up another $2 million.

I would rather trade Hanzal elsewhere and pick up another 1st elsewhere than trade up in the draft. Also would prefer younger long term pieces for Nash.

Love the Stepan trade if they'll do it

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hell no.

Why the hell would we trade Hayes who is a young NHLer that will at worst be a 40 point 3rd line player, and at best a 60 point player for the 8th overall pick which might not even make it to the NHL?

And at the same time trading away Nash and Staal when we could get more assets from other teams for them?

One of the worst proposals here in awhile.

You always get mad when its suggested to trade Hayes. Its nothing against him, everyone on the team should be considered for trades.

A reason to get rid of Hayes could be his work ethic. Will his best season be his rookie season? Another season like last season and his value is nearly gone. The team has to make a judgement call whether they think he will play like last season or like his rookie season.

Nash is worth about a mid/late first, Staal probably has minimal value with how much some teams are up against the cap, and I don't think Hayes is worth much more than a late first.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's a small sample size, but silverfish is talking about bringing him in as a 6/7D. That's the type of signing we need.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eh Stralman couldn't crack the Devils way back when.

Stralman put up 34 points in 73 games at age 23.

Stralman was a reclamation project that worked out. At one point early in his career, he was good. This guy is some unknown 28 year old with no NHL experience who couldn't regularly crack the Flames lineup last season.

Signing him for anything more than 1 year at the veteran minimum as a 7D is risking it.

If thats what its for, go for it, just nothing more than the Matt Hunwick contract.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does he skate well? Good puck skills? Good passer? Good shot? Good hockey sense? Good without the puck? Does anyone actually have a scouting report on him and why he didn't play for the Flames last season?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Stralman put up 34 points in 73 games at age 23.

Stralman was a reclamation project that worked out. At one point early in his career, he was good. This guy is some unknown 28 year old with no NHL experience who couldn't regularly crack the Flames lineup last season.

Signing him for anything more than 1 year at the veteran minimum as a 7D is risking it.
I mean I don't think anyone is suggesting giving him a 7-year contract. :laugh:

I have absolutely no idea who he is though. Can already hear Sam ****ing up his name and I don't even know how to pronounce it. "Oh, Baklava with a big hit, Joe."

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Normally I would agree but this organization does not have the assets to go after Shattwnkirk in a trade. Hope he hits UFA and try and rebuild through young players and picks this offseason. Otherwise you're going to be in the same situation next year with no one surrounding Shattenkirk and another UFA/Yandle situation.

If the Blues want Nash, we have the assets to get Shattenkirk.

I feel like people have forgotten the concept of a hockey trade, where both teams involved are trying to improve their teams right now. Every proposal now is for asset trades, where one team is trying to improve now and the other is trying to improve its future. And yes, asset trades do dominate the trade market these days, but hockey trades do happen as well. Hell, Shattenkirk has already been involved in one in his career.

We have plenty of assets.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Does he skate well? Good puck skills? Good passer? Good shot? Good hockey sense? Good without the puck? Does anyone actually have a scouting report on him and why he didn't play for the Flames last season?

Well part of the reason is because they already had Brodie/Hamilton/Giordano/Wideman/Engelland/Russell for most of the year. Not exactly like there was a spot open there. Not too dissimilar to McIlrath or Sjkei here.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
28, no offense, couldn't get minutes for Calgary last season, 28 NHL games in his career, no thanks. You are relying way too much on advanced stats for this one.

it is a very small sample size and there is a good chance he's the next diaz and will be back in europe in a year which is why you only have interest up to a certain amount as a free agent...

however we need to also keep in mind that you need to overpay to get proven players in terms of trade assets, contract or both. odds are that you won't get a young, proven player with upside for cheap...

if you want to 'steal' a guy with upside sometimes you gotta take a gamble on a low risk, high reward guy

of course that's assuming you aren't willing to do it the right way by drafting a guy and being patient for him to develop lol

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Disclaimer: What I could see, not what I want

Nash for Shattenkirk
Klein for Nichushkin, 3rd
Hayes, 3rd for JVR
Sign:
Backes
Stalberg
7th D

JVR-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-Fast
Miller-Backes-Nichushkin
Jensen-Lindberg-Stalberg
Glass

McD-Shattenkirk
Staal-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi
7th

Hank
Raanta

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
You always get mad when its suggested to trade Hayes. Its nothing against him, everyone on the team should be considered for trades.

A reason to get rid of Hayes could be his work ethic. Will his best season be his rookie season? Another season like last season and his value is nearly gone. The team has to make a judgement call whether they think he will play like last season or like his rookie season.

Nash is worth about a mid/late first, Staal probably has minimal value with how much some teams are up against the cap, and I don't think Hayes is worth much more than a late first.

It's not just trading Hayes..its just trading that many pieces for only one player in return, and a player that may not turn out to be anything special.

Nash still does have value and could fetch a pick and good prospect+

Staal can fetch a decent prospect in himself if a team, like Dallas, really wants a 2nd pair dman.

And it's far too early to give up on Hayes after just 2 seasons for a question mark (a draft pick), when he already has the making for potentially a very good NHLer, or at the least a decent NHLer. Especially the fact we are looking to get youngest we shouldn't be trading one of our younger players away.

I'd much rather do a Stepan and Staal for the 8th and good prospect/good young NHLer type deal. And Nash to another team for another deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad