Speculation: Offseason Thread #3: Literally Summer / Nothing Is Superior to Something Dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
To not AV guys are CK and Mcilrath for sure. Wild love both as do Nash , Bruins and most NON AV coached teams.. Nash is in play for sure as is Stepan... The cap has a lot to do with it. AS of now no way NY gets 91. just not enough money but 2 trades like DS or RN and u have lots coming back and maybe cash for second tier C. Could Rangers pull off a 3 team deal for Malkin ? just a dream on that one

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I hope Larry Brooks is wrong. If you want to move top guys to recoup some assets then great but don't half ass it because then you only move a couple of guys, get a couple assets back and you're worse off and still stuck in mediocrity.

If they want to do this right, rebuild don't give me this reset ********.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Kreider for Faulk? Deal.

Stepan and Klein for Coyle, Dumba and the #16? Deal. May be have the Wild add a prospect.

Trade Nash for some scoring depth and a #1.

Buyout Girardi.

Could have on D:

McD - Faulk
Staal- Dumba
Skjei - McI

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Interesting article. A reset that includes trading Nash, Kreider, Stepan, Klein. Keeping Staal and Girardi. Not signing Stamkos or trading for Shattenkirk. Trading Stepan in a lateral move for Duchene or downgrade in RNH. Sounds like fun.

Duchene would be a pipedream, IMO. I'd definitely be interested in a huge package for Duchene and Barrie. Now that'd be a shake-up.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I appreciate Brooks' generally honest take in his articles, and the info he provides, but man does he ever need to stop with the trade proposals. Faulk for Kreider? Stepan for RNH? Does he have any semblance of understanding of other team's needs? Jesus.

And as much as I hate to take a turn beating that drum, there's just no way this team stays competitive next year if they're carrying Staal and Girardi on the blue line unless they're getting extremely sheltered minutes.

KreiderHouseRules*

I don't think Gorton plans to try and fix the team in one off season.

I don't think he plans on renewing the lease in hell, and I don't think he's going to try to ice a worse team next year.

There are going to be at least 1-2 major changes, like it or not.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't like how the direction of this team has to do with Hank's window.

He's a hall of fame goalie, but the team shouldn't be making bad decisions just to accommodate him.

He's part of the problem as well. Into his mid 30's, declining, makes a lot of money. We can still win with Hank, but we should be trying to rebuild, and I think that should include trading Hank.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I don't think Gorton plans to try and fix the team in one off season.

Yup. As much as I would love a blow it all up approach, it's not very practical to do it all in one offseason.

Moving, say, Stepan, Nash, Kreider, and maybe Klein as Uncle Larry speculates could be the first step in doing it right. If that's where it stops, we won't know until we see what happens at the deadline, and then again during next year's offseason. Do we see more along the same lines (how awesome would it actually be to take advantage of someone ELSE'S desperation to parlay 1sts, 2nds, and prospects in exchange for 3 months of a player for once?), or does he go back to propping up the existing ship?

EDIT: also, another (probably wishful thinking) point on the difference between reset and rebuild: if I'm the Rangers, and I'm planning to rebuild, especially if I think I'll probably have to do it over time, but I'm worried about the majority of the fan base that "prevailing wisdom" says won't endure a rebuild in NYC/ticket sales/and even other GMs thinking they can take advantage of my fire sale, do I perhaps think of couching my rebuild as something else (say, oh, I don't know, a "reset") so that I can effect in under the radar and 12-18 months later everyone turns around and says "holy ****, you know what? The Rangers actually DID do a rebuild"?

Maybe? I hope? Please?

Last edited:

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
To not AV guys are CK and Mcilrath for sure. Wild love both as do Nash , Bruins and most NON AV coached teams.. Nash is in play for sure as is Stepan... The cap has a lot to do with it. AS of now no way NY gets 91. just not enough money but 2 trades like DS or RN and u have lots coming back and maybe cash for second tier C. Could Rangers pull off a 3 team deal for Malkin ? just a dream on that one

Thank God we're giving that buffoon AV another season and catering to his needs:shakehead

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If this is the approach then sign me up for a rebuild. Nothing in that article gave me a sign of hope. We aren't winning with the wonder twins and trading away our best players.

Last edited:

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
AV should have been let go. They're going to move non-AV players and then he'll end up being canned by December. AV will be gone with CK and McI flourishing on their new teams. Perfect.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think AV has a longer leash than most here believe. Just a hunch but I think Gorton persists with him throughout this rebuild/retool and brings in players that will fit AVs system.

AV's system was fine until 9 months ago. We lose speed and depth in Hagelin, our D regresses and are unable to move the puck and all of a sudden AV's system is the issue? I don't buy it.

KreiderHouseRules*

Brooks is nothing more than a mouthpiece for NYR.

He "leaks" whatever they tell him to leak.

If he's reporting they're not interested in Kevin Shattenkirk, it's likely because they very much are (as they should), and are trying to slow-play it (as they should).

Duchene's speed is dynamic and he has elite offensive instincts. I think a change of scenery does him really well; whether it's NYR or not.

Here's my crazy for the day:

1) Stepan & Glass for Shattenkirk, Berglund, 2nd

2. Hayes, Klein, Graves, 1st ('17), STL 2nd for Duchene

3. Nash (1M retained) for Nichushkin, Roussel, Oduya, 2nd

4. Staal to wherever Eric goes for a 3rd and 6th

5. Sign Helm

Kreider Duchene Nichushkin
Miller Brassard Zuccarello
Helm Berglund Buchnevich
Roussel Lindberg Fast
Hrivik

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei McIlrath
Oduya Girardi

Lundqvist
Raanta

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Sigh. Not particularly encouraging since he seems to go out of his way to say they're doing a reset, not a rebuild, still focused on Lundqvist's window, etc. I'm sure plenty of people around here will be thrilled.

Personally, I only hope that he's wrong. Or that it's misinformation. Or that Gorton simply realizes that he can't do it all in one offseason, and Uncle Larry is misinterpreting.

who cares what they call it. if hank is still here its not a full rebuild

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Brooks is nothing more than a mouthpiece for NYR.

He "leaks" whatever they tell him to leak.

If he's reporting they're not interested in Kevin Shattenkirk, it's likely because they very much are (as they should), and are trying to slow-play it (as they should).

Duchene's speed is dynamic and he has elite offensive instincts. I think a change of scenery does him really well; whether it's NYR or not.

Here's my crazy for the day:

1) Stepan & Glass for Shattenkirk, Berglund, 2nd

2. Hayes, Klein, Graves, 1st ('17), STL 2nd for Duchene

3. Nash (1M retained) for Nichushkin, Roussel, Oduya, 2nd

4. Staal to wherever Eric goes for a 3rd and 6th

5. Sign Helm

Kreider Duchene Nichushkin
Miller Brassard Zuccarello
Helm Berglund Buchnevich
Roussel Lindberg Fast
Hrivik

McDonagh Shattenkirk
Skjei McIlrath
Oduya Girardi

Lundqvist
Raanta

Doubt the Rangers move another first. Though the Ava would never accept that offer anyways.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If that was a bern proposal we wouldn't have a first round pick for the next 7 years.

I mean we're already 4 years in. :laugh:

If it were a Bern proposal the Rangers would trade their first with Buch to acquire the other teams first, only to trade that newly acquired first in another trade. Then repeat and repeat again!

Actually I thought in his latest proposal we were getting like the 1st overall pick and then sending it to Arizona for like 7 first round picks or something?

Stop! That means Bern could be right. Then the world as we know it will never be the same. Up will be down, day will be night. Shnozberries will not taste like Shnozberries.

However, I'm feeling like Moses, getting a message to get back to the boards because 'your fellow posters have corrupted themselves'.
:amazed::amazed::D:D:naughty::naughty:;);):laugh::laugh::handclap::handclap::yo::yo:

------------

also, the world has been the same for a long time.
For years I said we should upgrade on Stepan, Staal and Girardi, AND FINALLY, kickin and screaming, it is happening.

I was right then, and I'm right now.
Of course, capable of being wrong. Not perfect.
But more right than wrong, regardless of what you critics say.

============

the thing w/AZ was we get BOTH 3OA AND 5OA and send both to AZ for return of our first and Strome only this year, but also 5 future firsts which we pick up over time.

Last edited by a moderator:

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Kreider for Faulk? Deal.

Stepan and Klein for Coyle, Dumba and the #16? Deal. May be have the Wild add a prospect.

Trade Nash for some scoring depth and a #1.

Buyout Girardi.

Could have on D:

McD - Faulk
Staal- Dumba
Skjei - McI

You forgot one thing.. Sign Vesey.. Let's hope things shake up nice

darko

Feb 16, 2009
My favorite part of bernie's proposals was when he traded AV to Ottawa (I think).

KreiderHouseRules*

Also, unless it's as the centerpiece in a deal for Taylor Hall or Leon Draisaitl and the 4th overall, I'll scream bloody murder if Kreider is traded.

A few years ago we had a few guys that could've competed for the absolute fastest skater in the league.

Hagelin
Kreider
Gaborik

2/3 are already gone.

Pittsburgh won The Cup with dominating possession numbers, but that's not because they always had the puck; it's because they had the speed and energy to always go take it back.

After being bounced in 5 games, they started off the season looking like a joke. Hagelin (speed) & Sullivan / the coaching change (commitment to team philosophy, commitment to team-defense, and commitment to getting the puck back).

Pittsburgh outshot and outchanced their opponents all playoffs. Speed kills. So does the mentality of "get everything to the net" when an entire team is on the same page, committed to it.

More than "fixing the defense" or any one thing, this team needs speed and heart/hustle/energy.

Trading Kreider is going backwards even further, unless it's for an elite talent. Even with his inconsistent production, he has the skillset (size, speed, strength) to take over and dominate shifts. If he ever puts it all together, he could score 40 & 40 but even if he doesn't, he's still a very valuable multi-dimensional asset as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca