Speculation: Offseason Thread #3: Literally Summer / Nothing Is Superior to Something Dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Nakladals numbers are good but he's played 330 even strength minutes in his NHL career and only played 14:11 per game last year getting real soft minutes. It's really not enough to make much of a judgment. All that said he will come real cheap so there's minimal downside to taking a chance.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If St. Louis is severely in cap trouble (which I have to check), then there should be some negotiating leverage on Gorton's side against St. Louis--Shattenkirk is going to walk, they need cap space, and they have an in house replacement for him...

Makes too much sense for St. Louis to move him now, especially if they're going to buy more into their forward corps.

Um if theyre in cap trouble how are we a fit? There is no "leverage" here. We would need to have a third party take one of our contracts. Thats where you lose that so-called leverage you thought you gained over STL, to another team hanging it over us.

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ
Oh FFS, do not trade valuable assets for a guy you know wants to come here, and who you can get for just $ in one year's time. There are no quick fixes for this team; we need to build for the future. If you want Shatty, get him next offseason. In the meantime, use Nash to replenish the prospect/pick/young player cupboard. :rant::banghead:
I'm not advocating trading for him but I would almost guarantee that the team trades for him would sign him and keep him from becoming UFA. If a team like Boston trades for him they will very easily give in to his asking price to keep him from ever getting to the market.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'm not advocating trading for him but I would almost guarantee that the team trades for him would sign him and keep him from becoming UFA. If a team like Boston trades for him they will very easily give in to his asking price to keep him from ever getting to the market.

Shattenkirk has not made an MSL declaration. He's stated a preference, and if you can lock him down at less than what the bidding war will be for his services, its a win. Besides, it won't be Shatty straight up for Nash. We will get a + and St. Louis has some pretty attractive +s

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Um if theyre in cap trouble how are we a fit? There is no "leverage" here. We would need to have a third party take one of our contracts. Thats where you lose that so-called leverage you thought you gained over STL, to another team hanging it over us.

St. Louis isn't dealing Shattenkirk because they cant sign him. They're dealing him because they have Pietrangelo and Parayko on the RHS. Its like where we were with McD/Yandle/Staal/Skjei on LHS

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Shattenkirk has not made an MSL declaration. He's stated a preference, and if you can lock him down at less than what the bidding war will be for his services, its a win. Besides, it won't be Shatty straight up for Nash. We will get a + and St. Louis has some pretty attractive +s

The + will come from the NYR unless they retain 50% on Nash

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The + will come from the NYR unless they retain 50% on Nash

Maybe we would have to retain or add another body, but I still think two years of Nash has higher market value than one year of Shattenkirk. We'd get a prospect and/or pick and the prospect could be good.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Maybe we would have to retain or add another body, but I still think two years of Nash has higher market value than one year of Shattenkirk. We'd get a prospect and/or pick and the prospect could be good.

I could easily see St. Louis asking about Step or Brass in addition to Nash, but we would then be taking back some $. I could see Berglund or Sobotka being involved. Maybe the offer could see Fabbri return or another of their prospects like Ty Rattie, Jordan Schmaltz or Ian Barbashev. Hockeydb.com 'em St. Louis has a lot of pieces in the air right now.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Want nothing to do with Malkin and that contract. Don't care how good he is. He's useless if he's missing 25-30 games every year.

9.5 for a part time player. Lord no

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
The Sabres are looking for an established LD. Anyone think they might be interested in Marc Staal? Didn't Tim Murray love M. Staal when he was drafted??

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Nakladals numbers are good but he's played 330 even strength minutes in his NHL career and only played 14:11 per game last year getting real soft minutes. It's really not enough to make much of a judgment. All that said he will come real cheap so there's minimal downside to taking a chance.

It's why I think he's a potential untapped resource. If he came to camp for this team, he'd win a starting spot assuming coming into camp the 4 RHD are Klein, G, McIlrath, and Nakladal.

Well, he should win it. But ya know, Girardi bouncing back and all that garbage.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think we have to find a way to get back into the first round. You can't go 4 drafts without a first and not expect consequences eventually.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how ARI operates with Chayka at the helm... imo he's either a boom or bust in very short order thanks to the way he operates.

The guy is leaking every negotiation he's had so far to the press.

Offers for the 7th.

Desire to get LD before getting Goligoski's rights.

The Hanzal situation.

It will be interesting to see how his peers react to this. NHL GMs are a traditional species that don't like their dealings being thrown out there in the media.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It's why I think he's a potential untapped resource. If he came to camp for this team, he'd win a starting spot assuming coming into camp the 4 RHD are Klein, G, McIlrath, and Nakladal.

Well, he should win it. But ya know, Girardi bouncing back and all that garbage.

Would you do a 3 year $3M deal for Nakladal?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
No. I'd give him one year at $1m and tell him to prove it.

Okay fair enough. I wouldn't either considering he played limited minutes in a sheltered role over 33 games.

I think there are some gems in that group 6 or serviceable players that are a little older that are coming out of the AHL.

Drew Shore... Corbin Knight... Matt Tennyson... guys like that.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Sounds a lot like the last time we traded for an elite offensive defenseman who was an upcoming UFA.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Oh, he'd win it. McI would be benched,dof course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad