Offseason Roster Discussion part 3

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
At this point a few more moves need to be done because we have too many top 9 W's and or C's (Depending on how you view Strome/Borgstrom/Johnson)

Overall our F's currently

Toews (C)
Dach (C)
Kane
Kubalik
Debrincat
Kurashev
Hagel (RFA)
Nylander (RFA)
Johnson (C or W)
Strome (C or W)
Borgstrom (C or W)
Connolly
Carpenter (C or W)
Khaira
Gaudette
Hardman

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Back to the topic. Competition in camp is going to be FIERCE. There are a lot of guys fighting for very, very few openings. I am excited. It usually brings out the best in players.

Reactions: bwana63

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Back to the topic. Competition in camp is going to be FIERCE. There are a lot of guys fighting for very, very few openings. I am excited. It usually brings out the best in players.

Yeah but this is still too many guys

A few need to go before competition begins

And god damn does Connolly continue to stick out like sore thumb no matter how I look at it (Rosters , Cap , etc)

I hate that we took him... Borgstrom better turn his career around and Stillman establish himself as reliable defender for this trade not to be crap

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
Yeah but this is still too many guys

A few need to go before competition begins

And god damn does Connolly continue to stick out like sore thumb no matter how I look at it (Rosters , Cap , etc)

I hate that we took him... Borgstrom better turn his career around and Stillman establish himself as reliable defender for this trade not to be crap

Laz already posted a roster this past week with both Nylander and Hagel resigned at sub 2m each where we are cap compliant.

We don't have to do anything with Connely to be just fine this year....except bury him in Rockford if/when he isn't good enough to make the squad.

Bit of an eye sore but it doesn't hurt us atm, at least.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Everything they’ve said publicly about Connely makes me thinks gonna be given every opportunity to rebound into the player they perceive him to be.

Maybe they’re full of shit or the kids just wont give them a choice, but I think he’s going to be in the lineup more than we think or would like.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Looking through all the NHL rosters goaltenders and with today’s announcement that Fleury is on board I think the Hawks should move either both or one of Delia and Subban, Lankinen can split time with MA and Soderblom can start ahead of the two Icehog signees...

so where could they be dealt too?

here’s my ideas...

Subban to ARI with a 2022 3rd rounder(hawks have 3) for a 2022 2nd rounder(yotes have5)...to backup Hutton

Delia to ANA for a 2022 5th rounder, he’s from Cucamunga CALF after all

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Actually, because Hagel and Nylander are both RFAs, if Stan wanted to keep everyone on roster, he could just re-sign them once Shaw goes on LTIR.

Still wonder whats going to happen. Few too many forward if we want a conventional grinder 4th line. Id love to spread the wealth around and create 4 scoring lines, but i have a hard time seeing the team going for that.

And i only now realized Borgstrom isnt waiver expemt, so that likely means we need to pencil him in the opening lineup unfortunately. No way they risk losing him without seeing what he can do.

Reactions: Brightwing

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Looking through all the NHL rosters goaltenders and with today’s announcement that Fleury is on board I think the Hawks should move either both or one of Delia and Subban, Lankinen can split time with MA and Soderblom can start ahead of the two Icehog signees...

so where could they be dealt too?

here’s my ideas...

Subban to ARI with a 2022 3rd rounder(hawks have 3) for a 2022 2nd rounder(yotes have5)...to backup Hutton

Delia to ANA for a 2022 5th rounder, he’s from Cucamunga CALF after all
Can’t see either goalie returning picks.
My guess is both hit the waiver wire and hopefully one gets claimed.

Reactions: Giovi

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Can’t see either goalie returning picks.
My guess is both hit the waiver wire and hopefully one gets claimed.
Picks No, a ahl player in return for Rockford I could see. I think they still need some more forwards there. I think they'll keep 1 for sure because they have no clear #3. I think Cale Morris only has an AHL deal, the Swedish guy is like 22 only. They need someone still around.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
do you think they go into camp with all these guys and see if they have injuries or they can benefit off another teams injury situation?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Actually, because Hagel and Nylander are both RFAs, if Stan wanted to keep everyone on roster, he could just re-sign them once Shaw goes on LTIR.

Still wonder whats going to happen. Few too many forward if we want a conventional grinder 4th line. Id love to spread the wealth around and create 4 scoring lines, but i have a hard time seeing the team going for that.

And i only now realized Borgstrom isnt waiver expemt, so that likely means we need to pencil him in the opening lineup unfortunately. No way they risk losing him without seeing what he can do.

this could be the default plan assuming no more roster moves, something similar happened with Strome when he signed his extension iirc

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
do you think they go into camp with all these guys and see if they have injuries or they can benefit off another teams injury situation?

Yeah i think so. Why wouldnt you anyway right, without seeing what level all of Gaudette (putting on weight and adjusted diet), Nylander (coming off injury and incosistency), Borgstrom (bit of a question mark now at the NHL level but bunch of skill), Reichel (is he nhl ready?) are you cant really make judgement on who to keep and play. Need to see where theyre all at, and then hopefully makes moves accordingly.

The only one i dont think we need any more time for is Strome. What are the chances he changes after all these years and opportunity? I hope hes traded for any player really, or even better his cap hit is cleared for picks.

But imagine all the kids pan out. Im thinking about rolling 4 lines the entire day.

Kubalik - Toews - Reichel
Gaudette - Dach - Kane
DeBrincat - Borgstrom - Nylander
Kurashev - Johnson - Hagel

4 legit lines. Id only try to get another Hagel basically in place of Nylander/Borgstrom coz we need one more guy thats heavier, but still. It could be a huge advantage as we saw with Montreal.

No way everyone hits though, so its nice to have so many options available for contingency.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yeah i think so. Why wouldnt you anyway right, without seeing what level all of Gaudette (putting on weight and adjusted diet), Nylander (coming off injury and incosistency), Borgstrom (bit of a question mark now at the NHL level but bunch of skill), Reichel (is he nhl ready?) are you cant really make judgement on who to keep and play. Need to see where theyre all at, and then hopefully makes moves accordingly.

The only one i dont think we need any more time for is Strome. What are the chances he changes after all these years and opportunity? I hope hes traded for any player really, or even better his cap hit is cleared for picks.

But imagine all the kids pan out. Im thinking about rolling 4 lines the entire day.

Kubalik - Toews - Reichel
Gaudette - Dach - Kane
DeBrincat - Borgstrom - Nylander
Kurashev - Johnson - Hagel

4 legit lines. Id only try to get another Hagel basically in place of Nylander/Borgstrom coz we need one more guy thats heavier, but still. It could be a huge advantage as we saw with Montreal.

No way everyone hits though, so its nice to have so many options available for contingency.

unless they want to put Strome's money to work to sign another UFA or two then they should probably just keep him for now...He's a flawed player but he's still a decent top 9 option and has shown chemistry with Kane and Cat...there could be injuries throughout the year and it doesn't hurt to have depth while they see what they have in Borgstrom, if Borgstrom struggles then you know Strome can be a 3C and put up decent production and that's a nice option to have if they want to be a playoff team

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
unless they want to put Strome's money to work to sign another UFA or two then they should probably just keep him for now...He's a flawed player but he's still a decent top 9 option and has shown chemistry with Kane and Cat...there could be injuries throughout the year and it doesn't hurt to have depth while they see what they have in Borgstrom, if Borgstrom struggles then you know Strome can be a 3C and put up decent production and that's a nice option to have if they want to be a playoff team

This, plus he's a hedge on Toews. Much as I want him gone, a better move might be wait to see what happens. Now, if Toews v2.0 is somewhat close to v1.5, Strome's gotta go. I see Johnson at center if Borgstrom struggles.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Strome should have been traded as soon as optically possible after his unsustainable run following the trade.

He very simply does not have the wheels to hack it at the nhl level.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Strome should have been traded as soon as optically possible after his unsustainable run following the trade.

He very simply does not have the wheels to hack it at the nhl level.
The problem is 31 other teams know all about Strome’s situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad