Offseason Roster Discussion part 3

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Who do people think will end up being a better Hawk, Strome or Nylander?

I actually think it will start to click for Nylander consistently this season. The skill and talent are there.
I think they'll both be consistently good this season, if they're given a chance.

The forward logjam isn't doing them any favours right now.

Nylander has played one real season in the NHL, then got injured. Anyone giving up on him now is making a premature judgement.

With Strome, he had one down year. Tough pill for him to swallow with constant demotions, moving to wing, and forced to changed his style of play. This might truly be the first time Strome has ever been faced with any real adversity. Give him a chance to prove he can fight back.

Both these guys need support right now. Not shoved on the 4th line. The Hawks need to do their job and actually develop, nurture, and cultivate talent. Creating logjams can make for some good friendly competition, but ultimately there needs to be a plan.

It's an interesting pre-season we have ahead of us. There's the risk of snap decisions being made and triggers being pulled too soon.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think they'll both be consistently good this season, if they're given a chance.

Nylander has played one real season in the NHL, then got injured. Anyone giving up on him now is making a premature judgement.

With Strome, he had one down year. Tough pill for him to swallow with constant demotions, moving to wing, and forced to changed his style of play. This might truly be the first time Strome has ever been faced with any real adversity. Give him a chance to prove he can fight back.

Both these guys need support right now. Not shoved on the 4th line. The Hawks need to do their job and actually develop, nurture, and cultivate talent. Creating logjams can make for some good friendly competition, but ultimately there needs to be a plan.

It's an interesting pre-season we have ahead of us. There's the risk of snap decisions being made and triggers being pulled too soon.

Nylander actually has the ability to play 4th line. Strome doesn't.

I will say that I think they did not do Strome any favors with trying to change his skating. The intention was good but the results were bad. Maybe becoming a father will trigger something in him. The skill minus speed is there.

In regards to the logjam, having a logjam of talent is a good thing in my opinion. We have not had that in a while. Hopefully we see some major progress this season.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Once the Hawks picked Dach, the writing was on the wall.

If Toews wasn't back things would be different for him, but Strome is about to get a 1 way ticket out of town.

I think Strome has value to a team as a scorer. However you have to surround him with talented scorers and 2 way wingers.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Nylander actually has the ability to play 4th line. Strome doesn't.

I will say that I think they did not do Strome any favors with trying to change his skating. The intention was good but the results were bad. Maybe becoming a father will trigger something in him. The skill minus speed is there.

In regards to the logjam, having a logjam of talent is a good thing in my opinion. We have not had that in a while. Hopefully we see some major progress this season.
I agree with all of this.

We did see Nylander have success on the 4th line so you're right, he could continue to play there. Especially if he continues to work at his two way play which we got glimpses of occasionally.

Yeah the Strome skating experiment did not work at all. I get what they were trying to do, but it pretty much broke him.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with all of this.

We did see Nylander have success on the 4th line so you're right, he could continue to play there. Especially if he continues to work at his two way play which we got glimpses of occasionally.

Yeah the Strome skating experiment did not work at all. I get what they were trying to do, but it pretty much broke him.

It is on Strome to fix himself for the most part and his sulking is not acceptable. Don't like your situation? Then f***ing play better.

Reactions: Giovi

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
especially given the way the hawks try to deploy their 4th line...maybe Nylander can evolve into that kind of player, Stalberg did a decent job in 2013, but hard to see as of now

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Hey Bwana63, what are your thoughts on D Strome for tjix season? And A Nylander.
I had a poster from Calfary Flames nation inquiring about offering center Sean Monahan and a prospect like rw Martin Pospisil or?, for Dylan Strome and Alexander Nylander
What are your thoughts? I know the $$'s don't jive straight up, as is, due to Hawks cap issues.

I'm clueless about other teams and the vast majority of their players, sorry.

FWLIW, I doubt the Hawks will try to move Nylander until he gets another chance.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
It is on Strome to fix himself for the most part and his sulking is not acceptable. Don't like your situation? Then f***ing play better.
Strome worked his way to the bottom of the lineup. It's up to him to work his way back up.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015

Strome was given a chance last year to be the 1C and fumbled his chance miserably.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

I recall reading this article at the time and wondered if it was too much of a change and unfortunately it seems that the work Paul did with Dylan likely messed him up big time.

When you skate a certain way your entire life it would be hard pressed for anyone to change that method/process a great deal.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I recall reading this article at the time and wondered if it was too much of a change and unfortunately it seems that the work Paul did with Dylan likely messed him up big time.

When you skate a certain way your entire life it would be hard pressed for anyone to change that method/process a great deal.
All this talk about Goodman messing up Strome overlooks the fact that Stromes' skating was horrible before Goodman worked on it.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
It can also be pointed out Strome had terrible conditioning when he got to Chicago. He usually looked completely bagged by the end of shifts. And that's in spite of the fact he rarely put in much effort away from the puck.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
It can also be pointed out Strome had terrible conditioning when he got to Chicago. He usually looked completely bagged by the end of shifts. And that's in spite of the fact he rarely put in much effort away from the puck.
Not his fault he couldn't keep up.....right???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad