Offseason Roster Discussion part 3

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I'm at a point where I'm pretty fine with going into the season with who we have on D.

McCabe - Jones
Stillman - Murphy
de Haan - Kalynuk/Jones

We need one of Stillman, Kalynuk or Jones to improve to a top 4 level, but it's not unlikely and we need to give them the chance to do it.

de Haan for one year as the extra veteran safety net is good. If any of the other kids push he can be a good 7D and we will need his cap coming off next year.

Let all the kids marinate in the Rock.

If it worst come to push and we still absolutely need another top 4D, we can trade for them in season with all the pieces we have. But I fully expect Stillman or Kalynuk to be a fine option.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm at a point where I'm pretty fine with going into the season with who we have on D.

McCabe - Jones
Stillman - Murphy
de Haan - Kalynuk/Jones

We need one of Stillman, Kalynuk or Jones to improve to a top 4 level, but it's not unlikely and we need to give them the chance to do it.

de Haan for one year as the extra veteran safety net is good. If any of the other kids push he can be a good 7D and we will need his cap coming off next year.

Let all the kids marinate in the Rock.

If it worst come to push and we still absolutely need another top 4D, we can trade for them in season with all the pieces we have. But I fully expect Stillman or Kalynuk to be a fine option.
I know that a lot of people like Kurashev (myself included) but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in Rockford to start the season. They're going to give Nylander and Gaudette every opportunity to win the spot next to Toews and Kubalik.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Really need Mitchell to be that guy.
No kidding. After trading Boqvist I'd have been in on Gostisbehere if he wasn't traded already.
I was only ok trading Boqvist if they got Barrie or Hamilton. They got neither and now unless Kalynuk, Mitchell or Beaudin force the issue their blueline is an offensive black hole.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
They have zero offense outside of Jones on the blueline. IMO they need that more than what Murphy brings.
Jones over Keith for that #1 spot is a massive gain for us.

McCabe over de Haan for that LD/pk role is another massive upgrade - de Haan played FARRRR too many minutes than he deserved and that was on JC.

Those 2 upgrades alone should help generate more offense and chances from our defense as McCabe isn't a pure scrub on offense either.

I do agree that the depth is shallow, and what we need is players capable of making damn outlet passes to unleash our forwards. Mitchell and Beaudin can do that, but will they be ready or solid enough to overtake more balanced guys like Stillman, Kalynuk and Caleb Jones?? That is going to be the question..

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Lost in all the roster talk is Hardman

I liked what we saw from him and think he will be good 4th liner with potential to become a good 3rd line winger in future
I thought him and Entwistle could be the fourth line wings this year. I like what I saw from both of them. Good skaters, not afraid to mix it up, a little bit of offense.

But we still have too many players. We keep reiterating it, but a trade needs to be made.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I know that a lot of people like Kurashev (myself included) but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in Rockford to start the season. They're going to give Nylander and Gaudette every opportunity to win the spot next to Toews and Kubalik.

I don't see that at all. Maybe he is the one that loses out in the fight for the last few spots, but that would mean a very significant improvement from the other young guys.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
IN
Seth Jones
Marc-Andre Fleury
Tyler Johnson
Jake McCabe
Jujhar Khaira
Caleb Jones
2021 1st Round Pick #31 (Nolan Allan)
2022 3rd Round Pick (Edmonton)
2022 3rd Round Pick (Toronto)
2022 6th Round Pick (Columbus)
2023 2nd Round Pick (Tampa Bay)

OUT
Adam Boqvist
Duncan Keith
Nikita Zadorov
Pius Suter
Vinnie Hinostroza
David Kampf
Joel Quenneville
Mikael Hakkarainen
Brent Seabrook
Tim Soderland
2021 1st Round Pick #11 (Cole Sillinger)
2021 2nd Round Pick #44 (Aleksi Heimosalmi)
2022 1st Round Pick

--

How can anyone complain about this offseason?
I'm a fan of the off-season and moves, but you have to factor in Cap space.

I don't like alternate ideas with "just signing Hamilton to 9 million aav".

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I dont recall Kalynuk playing a ton of RD

Why do you guys keep putting him at RD?
He was playing mostly RD last season. Keith, CDH, and Z all were on the left side last year.

I think he's better on LD, but he does have experience with both.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Still should have qualified Suter and then traded him for a very least 7th rounder...that would have been better than nothing...Detroit had 9 2022 draft picks, e 4th rounders...just saying

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
i agree he was pretty bad. I thought Regula looked good in the little bit of NHL minutes he played.

I liked what I saw from him as well. Regula that is

He’s got some potential to be a nice RHD. Like a Scott Mayfield if he hits.

I think his floor is fairly high too. Kinda reminds me of Justin Holl the way he skates and his stance.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Lost in all the roster talk is Hardman

I liked what we saw from him and think he will be good 4th liner with potential to become a good 3rd line winger in future
Closest comparison for Hardman was Hayden. Hardman was lost often and didn't have anything excellent happening in the O-zone.

Young and with more comfortable in NHL, might be 4th liner.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
It's safe to say Mitchell was very disappointing last year and like Boqvist, was rushed to the big show....we definitely need a 2nd, decent offensive D man, but it's likely not Mitchell next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad