Offseason Roster Discussion part 3

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hopefully we gets some more moves soon to give us clarity on likely roster at this point

Still have too many forwards and still need upgrade on D IMO

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Hopefully we gets some more moves soon to give us clarity on likely roster at this point

Still have too many forwards and still need upgrade on D IMO
On D where? Unless they buyout or take a buyer to take DeHaan there's no space

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I have 3 questions:
1. Why hasn't Murphy been extended yet?
2. Why hasn't de Haan been traded yet?
3. Why hasn't Strome been traded yet?

I think they want to break the younger D in on the bottom pairing.

Last edited:
Reactions: coolhand

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I have 3 questions:
Defensive dmen into 30s extended is not a great combo, also if things go south he's more valuable to hope for a David Savard return in the trade deadline to maybe get back a 1st or more 2nds.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
I have 3 questions:
1. The Hawks have a whole year to worry about this. There is no rush at all.
2 and 3. I'm guessing nobody wants them. And as much as I want them gone they could bounce back, however unlikely that seems.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I have 3 questions:

1) What’s the rush? I’m not sure I’d extend him period personally.
2/3) Probably going to have to unload guys to rebuilding teams who are willing to take on scraps with sweeteners. Easier to sort that out now that the rest of the roster seems mostly set.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
1) What’s the rush? I’m not sure I’d extend him period personally.
2/3) Probably going to have to unload guys to rebuilding teams who are willing to take on scraps with sweeteners. Easier to sort that out now that the rest of the roster seems mostly set.
If they want to keep de Haan for a season, fine. But they should be able to dump Strome on a team like Seattle, Ottawa or Detroit fairly easily. They're not going to get much back other than cap space, but that's fine.

RD is very thin in UFA next year and do you really think Pulock will hit the market? I don't.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If they want to keep de Haan for a season, fine. But they should be able to dump Strome on a team like Seattle, Ottawa or Detroit fairly easily. They're not going to get much back other than cap space, but that's fine.

RD is very thin in UFA next year and do you really think Pulock will hit the market? I don't.

Exactly, that's kind of my point. None of those teams are going to run out of space to unload CdH and/or Strome. Spend your time getting your guys first, since that was apparently Stan's plan. Now sort the rest out.

Murphy will be almost 30 by the time the 22-23 season starts, plays a fairly heavy game, and has had a back surgery. I wouldn't extend him personally, and wouldn't worry about his replacement until next year.

Let's also see what we might have in house this year out of Kaylnuk, Mitchell, and Beaudin because that could change how you address the future as well.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
1. The Hawks have a whole year to worry about this. There is no rush at all.
2 and 3. I'm guessing nobody wants them. And as much as I want them gone they could bounce back, however unlikely that seems.
Strome is in his contract year. Stanger things have happened.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Strome is in his contract year. Stanger things have happened.

Doesn't strike me as a guy to come in extra motivated for a payday, but we'll see.

Personally I just want him gone even if given away and if he does have a big year then good for him, and good f***in luck to the team that signs him next.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Glad Fleury decided to report and play.

If Fleury plays 80-90% as well as he did last year, then the Hawks have a chance to squeeze into the wild card.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
What we really need now is one of Kalynuk/Mitchell/Beaudin to elevate their game to another level. One of those kids needs to establish themselves as a legit top 4 defenseman. You know you’ve got Jones, McCabe, and Murphy….just need one more guy to solidify the top 2 pairs.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
What we really need now is one of Kalynuk/Mitchell/Beaudin to elevate their game to another level. One of those kids needs to establish themselves as a legit top 4 defenseman. You know you’ve got Jones, McCabe, and Murphy….just need one more guy to solidify the top 2 pairs.

My opinion is that they're going to evaluate Kalynuk/C. Jones/Stillman and let Beaudin and Mitchell start in Rockford.

McCabe-S. Jones
Murphy-Kalynuk
C. Jones/Stillman-de Haan

Forwards:

DeBrincat-Dach-Kane
Kubalik-Toews-Johnson
Nylander-Borgstrom-Gaudette
Hagel-Carpenter-Khaira/Connolly

Last edited:
Reactions: bwana63

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
My opinion is that they're going to evaluate Kalynuk/C. Jones/Stillman and let Beaudin and Mitchell start in Rockford.

McCabe-S. Jones
Murphy-Kalynuk
C. Jones/Stillman-de Haan

Forwards:

DeBrincat-Dach-Kane
Kubalik-Toews-Johnson
Nylander-Borgstrom-Gaudette
Hagel-Carpenter-Khaira/Connolly

I think you're right on the D. Could be right (or close) on the forwards.

Hope Bowman can unload CDH and sign Murray.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I have 3 questions:

I think they want to break the younger D in on the bottom pairing.

1) Why would Hawks be in any rush to extend Murphy? His extension can be done anytime in season if they desire and frankly given his back and ? about Hawks team being playoff capable or not he as UFA could be very valuable trade chip should things go south

2) CDH sucked last year , Has history of injuries and makes $5.4M in real salary this coming year. Moving him will likely be difficult and require retention or asset going with him in deal

3) Probably waiting to see how market develops among teams that need C now. Ottawa , Boston and a few others make sense as potential landing spots

Reactions: clydesdale line

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
1) Why would Hawks be in any rush to extend Murphy? His extension can be done anytime in season if they desire and frankly given his back and ? about Hawks team being playoff capable or not he as UFA could be very valuable trade chip should things go south

2) CDH sucked last year , Has history of injuries and makes $5.4M in real salary this coming year. Moving him will likely be difficult and require retention or asset going with him in deal

3) Probably waiting to see how market develops among teams that need C now. Ottawa , Boston and a few others make sense as potential landing spots
If they're selling at the TDL Bowman should be fired and the Jones trade was a huge mistake.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
There’s still over a month until the preseason starts. Plenty of time to make a few more deals.

We know Stan is trying to move CDH, and I would mind retention because it’s only one year. It’s hard to imagine Strome is back. Dude got scratched for half of the Icehogs.

Stan ain’t done yet.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
There’s still over a month until the preseason starts. Plenty of time to make a few more deals.

We know Stan is trying to move CDH, and I would mind retention because it’s only one year. It’s hard to imagine Strome is back. Dude got scratched for half of the Icehogs.

Stan ain’t done yet.

True. Stan hasn't even signed his annual undrafted Euros yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad