Offseason (GM + Coach) Part V | Brisson out | Everything's Coming Up Morehouse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Let me offer you an alternative theory:

teams who are hiring a new GM are in need of more than just a new GM... they are in need of information.

What is wrong with our team? What is good with our team?

Any prospective GM candidate will have ideas to answer both of those questions, for sure, but many GM candidates will have spent the past 12 months working their ***** off for a specific team. And, as an AGM, a scout, etc... they probably weren't spending much time on the Penguins, but on their own players, their prospects, or junior/college players.

Pierre McGuire, however, sees every team multiple times per year. He watches tape. He talks to players about their teams. He talks to players about other teams. He talks to team execs about their team and other teams. He has the most-complete "outsiders" view of what is and is not ailing a team.

Now, you can argue the validity of his viewpoint, but you would be hard-pressed to argue the breadth of it.

So that teams are milking Pierre for as much as he's worth while also giving him the air of respectability makes sense.
And that's also what could make him such a good GM. **** everyone here watches way less hockey and thinks they know more than whoever is hired.

I dont care who the GM is. I care about the moves he makes this summer, because its a big one. That will tell a lot more than what everyone thinks they know about a bunch of people who they have likely never heard speak 100 words.

Seriously, 95 percent of this GM talk is speculation or based on speculation. Oh brisebois and botterill are "capologists". Great but how involved were they in everything else. Go hire an accountant, I can be a capologist.

_____ fires bylsma. Gets a good return for Letang. Dumps orpik, glass, scuderi, adams, and signs a good winger for Crosby. And everyone will praise him. Thankfully we get to see this summer what they are made of

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Regis is able to do that because he doesn't have to deal with also being a GM. A static collection of information is worthwhile for a season at BEST. I want someone with vision, not some TV personality. Plus, he loves Sid WAY too much for me to be comfortable with them working together. He'd make a good consultant, I'll give you that.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't know how fast people expect this to happen. Hiring a new GM is a pretty big deal. Let them take some time to do it right.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
DK said that they should have a new GM by the beginning or middle of next week.

465810.jpg

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt they're able to interview Gorton or MacIver with their teams in a playoff run.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I doubt they're able to interview Gorton or MacIver with their teams in a playoff run.

why? What does an assistant GM do that affects the immediate on ice play of the team?

Fletcher got hired as the Wild's GM in May 2009. Teams need to replace them once they go, so they would want these guys to get hired ASAP if they are going to be leaving.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I always found George McPhee to be a pretty interesting guy to listen to. I think he's a good GM, but he sort of had a team that had to be set up a certain way with the stars they were given. I think he made some really solid moves with Washington, but the leadership was...the leadership.

Poor George McPhee, he HAD to set his team up with stars. Sucks for that guy.

Every GM in the league would KILL to be able to draft Ovechkin, Green, Backstrom et al.

We gotta fit Wayne Gretzky in, too, guys!

I don't see this as a joke at all. The President of Hockey Operations title is tailor-made for Gretz.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
why? What does an assistant GM do that affects the immediate on ice play of the team?

Fletcher got hired as the Wild's GM in May 2009. Teams need to replace them once they go, so they would want these guys to get hired ASAP if they are going to be leaving.

I suppose.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Mike Colligan ‏@MikeColligan 52s
#Pens GM search process has been very silent, yet Pierre McGuire's visit to Pittsburgh is covered like one from the Pope. Should be telling.

https://twitter.com/MikeColligan/status/472738685029715968

hope he's implying that McGuire is a smokescreen.

Colligan thinks he's smart and he does write alot of good stuff but on TPB podcast he said Shero shouldn't have been fired. Also if you go through his timeline he mentions a Canuck AGM(lolwut?) and Fenton as good candidates.

Sometimes i think he says stuff like that just to go against the norm. Makes him look more edgy or somethin'.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
except that wouldn't be his role here and you know it

Why not? Gretz isn't going to take a GM role exclusively. Talk about taking a paycut.

Gretz would have final say in hockey ops but the GM would do the leg work. That's the blueprint in Columbus, Calgary, sorta in Colorado, Vancouver and I suspect Toronto. I'd be fine with that here.

Also, someone mentioned "lolwut" when discussing the possibility that the assistant GM in Vancouver would be a GM candidate. I don't see why that's funny. I assume the person Colligan was talking about is Laurence Gillman. He's been a name out there for a while in terms of potential GM's. Just because the Canucks imploded doesn't mean he's not potentially qualified. He also was part of the group that built the Canucks into a Presidents' Trophy squad and Stanley Cup finalist.

I think too often people associate team standings with assistant GM qualifications.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see Gretzky taking any job in a city not in southern California, the NY Metro or Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad