Offseason (GM + Coach) Part V | Brisson out | Everything's Coming Up Morehouse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
pgsmpo0dqy9vngzl4eac_400x400.png

Don't worry it will be me.

Cease and desist with this toolbaggery or I shall infract you for harshing upon my weekend vibe (which was already harshed upon once by a painful HVAC quote).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I seriously doubt we go back to Nashville for their assistant GM. It might be bad timing for Fenton, but the optics are terrible.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Agree. He's pretty far down the list IMO. Ahead of Pierre and Botteril and anyone else tied to The Family, and ahead of McPhee (should he be interviewed), but that's about it.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
What's wrong with Botterill?

I think I've read that he's regarded just as highly as BrisBois. What's the point of avoiding him just because he's in-house?
There may be a frustrating PR/image aspect to the way things are managed, but it's not like this is the mafia.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What's wrong with Botterill?

I think I've read that he's regarded just as highly as BrisBois. What's the point of avoiding him just because he's in-house?
There may be a frustrating PR/image aspect to the way things are managed, but it's not like this is the mafia.

I think the main thought is that a lot of us want a completely fresh set of eyes on the whole team.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
anatomy of an off-season thread:

poster1: lopsided trade in pens favor
poster2: lol, dumbass
poster3: reasonably fair trade
poster4: lol, no way that happens
poster5: lopsided trade in other teams favor
poster6: lol, dumbass
poster7: sarcastic quip
poster8: gif
poster9: lopsided trade in pens favor

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
anatomy of an off-season thread:

poster1: lopsided trade in pens favor
poster2: lol, dumbass
poster3: reasonably fair trade
poster4: lol, no way that happens
poster5: lopsided trade in other teams favor
poster6: lol, dumbass
poster7: sarcastic quip
poster8: gif
poster9: lopsided trade in pens favor

dumbass

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
I think the main thought is that a lot of us want a completely fresh set of eyes on the whole team.

Well, he technically is a fresh set of eyes.

Just because he's been in house doesn't mean he's not going to have his own ideas on how to correctly structure the team. I think that line of thinking is overrated - hiring externally just for the sake of it.

That being said, as far as removing stagnancy and initiating a culture change - it does sometimes help.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Which seems less and less likely at this point.

All I wanted was what happened in Dallas when Nieuwendyk was fired. Jim Nill was brought in, he interviewed the players, staff, etc...then cleaned house with the staff soon after. Gulutzan gone for Ruff and the Stars are suddenly back in the thick of the playoffs? I mean, damn, why can't we have a smart person running the team for once?

Not that Shero was an idiot or anything, just lacked a lot of sense with his draft mentality.

I know people have their favourites, but I am hoping for an off the book person...Pat Verbeek. Kind of the same path as Nill.

I don't want the guy that wanted Cedric Desjardins for his affiliate and got his GM to move Dustin Tokarski for him because Cedric was "his boy" from when he ran the Bulldogs. No to Brisebois.

Or Norm MacIver, seems like the Hawks are also developing some smart head office personnel.

Or better yet..

MacIver - GM
Verbeek - ASGM

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Please don't be McGuire, please don't be McGuire, please don't be McGuire....

I know McGuire knows the NHL and Amateur players maybe better than anyone connected with the NHL right now but I get the feeling he'd turn into a cross between Milbury and Holmgren. His downfall in Hartford was due to his ego. Someone's ego is part of their personality and from my understanding of psychology classes (and from what my wife has said since she is a licensed psychologist), you can't change someone's ego/personality with meds or therapy. Whether it's true or not, but some of the reported things by Pat Verbeek and others that were said by McGuire in Hartford would align with being a narcissist.

I wouldn't mind him as a consultant but not a GM. Pretty sure we'd be having some major bonker trades/free agent signings that would be along the lines of someone playing NHL 14 with Pierre as GM.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I know McGuire knows the NHL and Amateur players maybe better than anyone connected with the NHL right now but I get the feeling he'd turn into a cross between Milbury and Holmgren. His downfall in Hartford was due to his ego. Someone's ego is part of their personality and from my understanding of psychology classes (and from what my wife has said since she is a licensed psychologist), you can't change someone's ego/personality with meds or therapy. Whether it's true or not, but some of the reported things by Pat Verbeek and others that were said by McGuire in Hartford would align with being a narcissist.

I wouldn't mind him as a consultant but not a GM. Pretty sure we'd be having some major bonker trades/free agent signings that would be along the lines of someone playing NHL 14 with Pierre as GM.

I think people can be humbled. Pierre could be a very good director of scouting I think, he does know an incredible amount about prospects, but I think maybe even someone like Bob McKenzie could be good in that type of role, not sure about his past outside of working on TSN, but I'd be curious about maybe him taking on a role like that.

I would never want Pierre to be next in line for GM or Assistant GM, but maybe a guy that works directly with the scouts and scouting, either give him an "area" to scout or make him the guy that compiles a short list of prospects the Pens should maybe look at that are off the board a little.

I do want to know more about why Pierre was hated in Hartford.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Meh we are close enough to the new thread - starting it up. Last time I fell asleep and we went 70 posts over :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad