Speculation: Offseason Free Agency thread

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't think I'm underestimating what Dvorak would cost. I'd pay the going rate. And not just for a 2yr gap but for a bridge to see if KK can handle it as a trial and to see if CD fits. If it works out, resign Dvorak. If KK emerges as a 2C walk away from or trade Dvorak.
Not as simple as draft n develop of you ******up as you say. Too many variables.
KK isn't there yet. I wouldn't put all those eggs in 1 basket without support.
Sign a legitv2C and KK gets buried. With a Dvorak, you got flexibility.
Not getting into KK here.
I've made feelings clear. Like the kid, hope it works out, hope he is here long term, think he has some tools but alot to work on still. No where near ready for 2C FT role with no back up for the team success if he fails.

I'm not convinced that Arizona's ask from Montreal wouldn't be KK. There are at least 5 teams that would seriously want Dvorak. I also think you're overestimating how well Dvorak would fit in Montreal. He's not Danault. He's not a point producer 5v5. He's not in the same league defensively. He's a net-front guy on the PP on a team with lots of guys that can do that.

I just think the team is better off achieving success if they're willing to potentially take a big step backwards instead of locking themselves into mediocrity for longer in order to potentially take a smaller step backwards.

Reactions: Mr Mom

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I'm not convinced that Arizona's ask from Montreal wouldn't be KK. There are at least 5 teams that would seriously want Dvorak. I also think you're overestimating how well Dvorak would fit in Montreal. He's not Danault. He's not a point producer 5v5. He's not in the same league defensively. He's a net-front guy on the PP on a team with lots of guys that can do that.

I just think the team is better off achieving success if they're willing to potentially take a big step backwards instead of locking themselves into mediocrity for longer in order to potentially take a smaller step backwards.

OK so you really don't want to add any C of real value in order to miss playoffs n get higher picks for a few years?
I doubt they go rebuild at this point. So the "big" step backwards you hope for and are politicking for probly doesn't happen based on history. And really doesn't guarantee success either ( Edm/Buff/Zona et al.......)
But now I get where u are coming from.
We value Dvorak n potential tole on team differently. No biggie.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
I mean, even if we finish last in the overall standings. drafting one of these two (or being in a position to do so) is far from a certainty.
Then, people are quick to forget that the future faces of our franchise, Caufield and Suzuki, are respectively 15th and 13th overall picks. A guy like Romanov, who's absolutely going to be a core player, is a 2nd round pick. The likely pick to be the next captain, Gallagher, is a 5th round pick. Weber, who was by all means our "big-name" player? A 2nd rounder.

In Tampa, except for Hedman, you have guys like Sergachev (9th overall), Point (79th overall), Kucherov (58th overall), Ryan McDonagh (12th overall), Ondrej Palat (208th overall) and Yanni Gourde (undrafted) who played bigger role than Steven Stamkos in their past 2 Stanley Cup wins.

Drafting high and tanking is incredibly overrated. You build a team with good amateur scouting. Not be going for high picks.
And the caps won with almost only 1st rounder in their lineup.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Not sure if worth pointing out, but the greatest player development success story is yet to be officially signed by the greatest player development program of all time or any other schlep org.......

#Galchenyukfreeasabird

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
OK so you really don't want to add any C of real value in order to miss playoffs n get higher picks for a few years?
I doubt they go rebuild at this point. So the "big" step backwards you hope for and are politicking for probly doesn't happen based on history. And really doesn't guarantee success either ( Edm/Buff/Zona et al.......)
But now I get where u are coming from.
We value Dvorak n potential tole on team differently. No biggie.

No, my preference is that if Montreal adds a C, they go for high-end guy, not a 2/3 C. There just isn't any reason to believe Dvorak is the difference between this team being a playoff team or not.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I love that the Habs gave Hoffman the extra year but same money that Tatar got. Bye you playoff bum.

Reactions: Redux91

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'm not sure I prefer Hoffman over Tatar, especially comparing term and age.

In terms of offensive production, it's not even close.

Hoffman gets 0.73 points per game. Good for around 59 points for 82 games.
Tatar is around 0.60 points per game. Good for around 49 points per 82 games.

In the past 3 seasons, in which Tatar probably had his the most consistent stretch of his career, he got 0.29 goals per game played. Good for around 24 goals per 82 games.
In the past 3 seasons, Hoffman had 0.40 goals per game. Good for 33 goals by 82 games played.

In the end, Hoffman scores about 10 more points and 9 more goals by 82 games than Tatar.

Hoffman is a lot quicker on his feet than Tatar and is one of the best power play triggermen in the whole league. He joins a power play that has been needing some opportunism for God knows how many years.

I'm pretty happy about the switch.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Tatar is a good regular season player. He never shows up for the playoffs. That’s his reputation. But hey NJ ain’t going to the playoffs.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
In terms of offensive production, it's not even close.

Hoffman gets 0.73 points per game. Good for around 59 points for 82 games.
Tatar is around 0.60 points per game. Good for around 49 points per 82 games.

In the past 3 seasons, in which Tatar probably had his the most consistent stretch of his career, he got 0.29 goals per game played. Good for around 24 goals per 82 games.
In the past 3 seasons, Hoffman had 0.40 goals per game. Good for 33 goals by 82 games played.

In the end, Hoffman scores about 10 more points and 9 more goals by 82 games than Tatar.

Hoffman is a lot quicker on his feet than Tatar and is one of the best power play triggermen in the whole league. He joins a power play that has been needing some opportunism for God knows how many years.

I'm pretty happy about the switch.
I don't doubt Hoffman is a better goalscorer. That was not my point at all.

Tatar's a better all-round player, younger and his contract ends sooner. Also, the amount of shoot-first players on the roster and lack of playmaking is concerning.

Probably a moot point, though. I wouldn't expect him to re-sign with us after this years' playoffs.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't doubt Hoffman is a better goalscorer. That was not my point at all.

Tatar's a better all-round player, younger and his contract ends sooner. Also, the amount of shoot-first players on the roster and lack of playmaking is concerning.

Probably a moot point, though. I wouldn't expect him to re-sign with us after this years' playoffs.

I mean. I think we have plenty of players right now who get Montreal near the top of the league in most even strength metrics without being able to thread the needle. We need an awful lot of shots to score just as much as the average teams in the league and it's something that needed to be addressed. Caufield and Hoffman will help us big time with that aspect.

I can see the validity of being concerned about the high amount of shoot-first players on the roster. But sometimes chemestry can be pretty weird. Not all shoot-first players are created equal. Caufield and Hoffman are pure snipers. Anderson is a power forward and works his way to the net physically. Gallagher is more of a grinder. Toffoli is more of a volume shooter. Drouin is definitely a pass-first player and Suzuki can do both. In an ideal world, a guy like Bozak who's not exactly a shoot-first player would help balance things up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad