GDT: [Official]: WJC Thread

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Canada's missing that game breaking talent. Coaching is also subpar (Same old Lowry) On some level, it might have been interesting to see what a 19 year old Sam Bennett could have done.

Blackwood has looked pretty solid though. Think he takes the starters job from hereinafter.

Didn't notice Hickey much but that's probably a good thing.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
By my count the Hickey-Fleury pairing has allowed 2 scoring chances in 3 games. Although I did miss the first five minutes of todays game. None in the last two games. I'd say they are playing pretty good :laugh:
Blackwood looked really solid back there.

Mitch Marner... Remember when Leaf fans were saying he was better then Eichel and should have gone second overall:laugh:? They also said Strome would bust :laugh:. He reminds me of John Drouin from two years ago so much. Just terrible overall. Holding onto the puck too long, making the extra play, whether its an extra deke or extra pass. He looks flashy but at the end of the day he creates very little and is a turnover machine. There were at least three or four times he didn't pass to some wide open guy in the scoring area and he tried to deke three guys and surprise surprise he lost the puck.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
After a few hours away, I still think it was a disappointing win and poor effort. Many of the puck battles the Swiss won, when the Canadians should have.

One thing I'm appalled by is the coaching, specifically Lowry's line decisions and ice management. It is unacceptable when Mitch Marner is on the ice for more than two minutes at a time, especially when the team is playing on the back-end of a back-to-back. Another issue about the time management is the fact that Canada has four extremely capable scoring lines. Why exhaust the Quennville/Chartier - Marner - Point (not like they played well, either) line, when Travis Konecny and Matt Barzal are sitting on the bench 10 minutes at a time.

While Hicketts did play fine this game, how in the world are him and Dermott playing over the likes of Sanheim and Hickey? It makes no sense and I feel Lowry is simply playing favorites here. It was confirmed to me when Hicketts won Player of the Game, as I believe the coaches pick. Again, the lines he is choosing is simply confusing when Matthew Barzal is not getting ice-time while Marner is, who was struggling a lot in the game.

Also, Hicketts apparently played 4:15 minutes in OT; again, poor ice management when you have Sanheim who didn't play at all in OT. Why?!?

By my count the Hickey-Fleury pairing has allowed 2 scoring chances in 3 games. Although I did miss the first five minutes of todays game. None in the last two games. I'd say they are playing pretty good :laugh:

Hickey has played fairly well in the tournament. I counted one mistake, where Hickey pinched and it resulted in a two-on-one, but like TJ Brodie, he quickly skated back and disrupted the counter-attack. :)

If I'm Lowry, here are the lines for the next game:

Crouse - Strome - Virtanen (best line in the game even tho Virtanen has been a passenger, on the ice for both goals)
Perlini - Marner - Barzal (Barzal played with Marner for a bit in the 3rd and they seemed to click)
Konecny - Point - Beauviller
Chartier - Stephens - Quenneville

Hickey - Sanheim
Hicketts - Fleury
Chabot - Dermott

Blackwood

Split Dermott and Hicketts, no point in two offensive-dfenseman on the same pairing. Put Hickey with Sanheim as I think Hickey is very responsible in his own end and it lets Sanheim do his thing.

Also, please do something about the power play! They play too much on the perimeter and the power play in the 3rd period was amateur!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Alpha, really good assessment man. I agree on all points. Barzal reminds me of Giroux and if it were me I'd playing him with Gauthier/Crouse and Konecny. But yeah the management overall has been pretty brutal.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Ran into gm treliving right after the belarus/czech game. Told him I was living in Edmonton and he offered his condolences. Real nice guy

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Finland has looked quite bad, but at least they've managed to score 2 PP goals. 2-2 late in the second. Pulju with 2+6 in the tournament, and Finland has score 12 goals.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
4-2 to Finland early in the third. Pulju decided to score this time instead of passing. 1+2 today, 3+6 in the tournament :laugh:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Wouldn't be surprised if it is 5-4 soon, and then Finland collapses just like against Russia.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
CXfmz7aWcAA2xdo.png:large

Top scorers in U20 history that were under 18. Pulju now has 10 points in three games :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad