GDT: [Official]: WJC Thread

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think it's hilarious that neither Kylington or Andersson are on the team. I wonder how many other dman on team Sweden could do what Oliver is right now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think it's hilarious that neither Kylington or Andersson are on the team. I wonder how many other dman on team Sweden could do what Oliver is right now.
Some believe the team has enough offensive layers and need stay at home types like Mattsson.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Yeah seems like Sweden is very particular with their selections. They have their offensive dmen chosen and wanted more defensive players to round out the roster.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's true that they are trying to fill spots, but I think you always go with the best players and ask them to play a role. The coaches then need everyone to buy in and do their part.

I think it's a mistake that Sweden is leaving 2 of its most talented dman in that age group off the team, it's a joke to me. Rasmus has been playing at close to a PPG pace for the last 18 months, and Oliver has a respectable 7 points in 17 games as an 18 year old and is playing in key situations in the AHL. I know I probably am sounding like a total homer, but both of these guys were slated to be 1st - 2nd round picks in this past draft so it's not like they aren't highly regarded (Kylington has top 10 talent).

Obviously, Andersson is a little unfit and a little bit lazy and Kylington has a bad attitude.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I don't think Swedish fans are unanimously behind the management selections either. We'll see how their strategy plays out.

Would have loved to watched Kylington-Andersson as a pairing though :P

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
It's true that they are trying to fill spots, but I think you always go with the best players and ask them to play a role. The coaches then need everyone to buy in and do their part.

I think it's a mistake that Sweden is leaving 2 of its most talented dman in that age group off the team, it's a joke to me. Rasmus has been playing at close to a PPG pace for the last 18 months, and Oliver has a respectable 7 points in 17 games as an 18 year old and is playing in key situations in the AHL. I know I probably am sounding like a total homer, but both of these guys were slated to be 1st - 2nd round picks in this past draft so it's not like they aren't highly regarded (Kylington has top 10 talent).

Obviously, Andersson is a little unfit and a little bit lazy and Kylington has a bad attitude.

I could understand Kylington because he can be a slight wildcard and the top rated offenses at WJC could make him look bad if he can't shut them down, but I actually don't understand whynot Andersson. Andersson is even more solid all around and has the strength to hold his own against bigger guys.

Though both of them prior did well already in the tourney so I'm not sure why both aren't being brought back. Is Sweden trying to bring in all shut down grit guys to combat US/Canadian team forward corps?

Note: Speaking of which has anyone caught recent games of the Heat? Would like to know how Kylington has been doing lately.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I could understand Kylington because he can be a slight wildcard and the top rated offenses at WJC could make him look bad if he can't shut them down, but I actually don't understand whynot Andersson. Andersson is even more solid all around and has the strength to hold his own against bigger guys.

Though both of them prior did well already in the tourney so I'm not sure why both aren't being brought back. Is Sweden trying to bring in all shut down grit guys to combat US/Canadian team forward corps?

Note: Speaking of which has anyone caught recent games of the Heat? Would like to know how Kylington has been doing lately.

I'm honestly wondering if Andersson is getting slighted for coming over and playing hockey in NA instead of Sweden. Also, I think Oliver has been labelled as having a bad attitude so I think all those things play a part. From all indications though, Mattson is a C level prospect so I just don't understand it.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I'm honestly wondering if Andersson is getting slighted for coming over and playing hockey in NA instead of Sweden. Also, I think Oliver has been labelled as having a bad attitude so I think all those things play a part. From all indications though, Mattson is a C level prospect so I just don't understand it.

I'd be pissed off too if my coach only played me like 7 mins a game :P

I mean its speculative, but I mean someone knows something out there that we don't or there are some politics in play, which wouldn't be surprising.

Maybe someone did a better job scouting Mattson than us haha.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd be pissed off too if my coach only played me like 7 mins a game :P

I mean its speculative, but I mean someone knows something out there that we don't or there are some politics in play, which wouldn't be surprising.

Maybe someone did a better job scouting Mattson than us haha.

Well I know when Loob was asked about Mattson, he really didn't even know much of him. Just that he was a physical, stay at home kinda guy. Honestly, at this point I'd somewhat surprised if Mattson was ever signed to an ELC. I agree 100% politics are in play here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

And I disagree with going with your best players and making them play a role. I think the best bet is to pick players who excel in that particular role. Like picking a physical defenseman over on offensive one or a checking forward over a skilled one. Like if you have a spot on the 4th line open do you look at Lance Bouma or Jiri Hudler? I take Bouma personally. Canada went with the most skilled players for a long time and it wasn't working. They have had more success since they have implemented their new system IMO.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
And I disagree with going with your best players and making them play a role. I think the best bet is to pick players who excel in that particular role. Like picking a physical defenseman over on offensive one or a checking forward over a skilled one. Like if you have a spot on the 4th line open do you look at Lance Bouma or Jiri Hudler? I take Bouma personally. Canada went with the most skilled players for a long time and it wasn't working. They have had more success since they have implemented their new system IMO.

I think when you get in a short tourny, if your down late in a game it makes you shorten your bench to 2 lines. Having depth all around let's you have the ability press teams and roll 4 lines. I know what your saying, but I've always believed you take the best players and they can adapt as long as the team is first.

Also, Canada is known for always leaving top players off the roster and going with character guys in some roles. Really over the last 5-6 years, they've had mixed results.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think when you get in a short tourny, if your down late in a game it makes you shorten your bench to 2 lines. Having depth all around let's you have the ability press teams and roll 4 lines. I know what your saying, but I've always believed you take the best players and they can adapt as long as the team is first.

Also, Canada is known for always leaving top players off the roster and going with character guys in some roles. Really over the last 5-6 years, they've had mixed results.
Sure it's better if you have to come from behind, but when about when you have the lead or get in penalty trouble? I think you need guys capable of every role. I am not saying build it as a top 6 with 3 checking lines, but I think you go 3 scoring lines and 3 elite checking forwards, Frederik Gauthier last year for example was one of those players.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah like if you have a "4th line" that is composed of good 2-way players but can still score (ie. prime Richards or Bergy), so primarily B-level offensive guys who are solid defensively, I'm cool with that. But I'd like to see a roster of the most talented players, who play a team game and play to the system. And then if you have to open it up, let them off the leash.

Going back to Mattson, Andersson is a really good overall dman so I don't see the logic in it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah like if you have a "4th line" that is composed of good 2-way players but can still score (ie. prime Richards or Bergy), so primarily B-level offensive guys who are solid defensively, I'm cool with that. But I'd like to see a roster of the most talented players, who play a team game and play to the system. And then if you have to open it up, let them off the leash.

Going back to Mattson, Andersson is a really good overall dman so I don't see the logic in it.
Andersson's defensive game is lacking some and he isn't physical. Sounds like they wanted someone who could be punishing.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Kylington and Andersson will both be on the Flames within 3 years anyway, so **** Sweden's management group.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Per Mark Masters lineup for Sweden in 12 minutes is:

Quenneville-Strome-Marner
Perlini-Barzal-Virtanen
Crouse-Stephens-Konecny
Chartier-Beauvillier-Gauthier

Chabot-Hicketts
Fleury-Hickey
Sanheim-McKeown
Dermott

McDonald starts

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kylington and Andersson will both be on the Flames within 3 years anyway, so **** Sweden's management group.

Oliver might find himself in the NHL fairly soon :laugh: that kid has a tremendous upside. Still insane how late we got this kid for his 'mental' issues. Huska praises the kid; even with his hiccups from being a young Dman.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

A guy doesn't have to be a great prospect to be a WJC-worthy player, necessarily. Mattsson just likely has a low ceiling.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
AOM will likely make Team Sweden because Aho was injured after taking a Joe Hicketts clearing attempt to the neck/head and is out for the tournament.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Haha. I'm watching Czech - Russia game. Russian defender just took the best (or worst) diving two-handed swing I've ever seen at Spacek on a breakaway, which lead to penalty shot and first goal of the game. WTF was that Russian thingking? :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
GO CANADA!
giphy.gif

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Crazy day so far, Zboril gets 5m, two Swiss take 20m or more pim's and William Nylander most likely has a concussion and might be done and Canada vs USA hasn't even started yet lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad