GDT: [Official]: WJC Thread

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Finland is leading 3-0 in the third. I was going to change into USA-Canada, but for some reason they don't start broadcasting it for another hour.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hickey should have been back on that goal. He needs to hurry back to the front of the net after the shot is taken

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh, right. Still, it's debatable whether he got shoulder or just head.

I thought the head was the initial point of impact personally, but I didn't think it was that bad. Only illegal because of international rules IMO.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I thought the head was the initial point of impact personally, but I didn't think it was that bad. Only illegal because of international rules IMO.

Regardless of whether it's against the rules in that particular competition, it's a lesson Nylander needs to learn: pay attention to where you're going.

I shake my head when people claim it was a blindside hit, though. It's not like I can run over a pedestrian and claim they were in my blind spot because I was looking at my phone at the time.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Regardless of whether it's against the rules in that particular competition, it's a lesson Nylander needs to learn: pay attention to where you're going.

I shake my head when people claim it was a blindside hit, though. It's not like I can run over a pedestrian and claim they were in my blind spot because I was looking at my phone at the time.
Oh definitely, I don't have an issue with those hits at all.

I'm channeling my inner Don Cherry today.

Keep your head up kid.
Don't use your stick to get in shooting lanes because you will deflect it into your own net.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
2 pucks deflected by Canada onto our own net, I feel pretty good about this team overall. I think our offensive lines aren't set yet and we'll see a much better team come Monday, regardless of the opposition.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The U.S. has a really good team, but I do like Canada in a rematch. That team has lots of depth and good balance throughout. I think we'll be okay.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Hickey and MacDonald were decent, not great. Tough goals for MacDonald, Hicketts was especially dumb on that play, looked like a forward deflecting a puck on an opposing goalie.

Matthews is a stud. Right into the NHL next year. No he didn't dominate but has a immediate pro look and feel to him, smooth and strong.

Gauthier looks like he will be the prospect to trend upwards out of this tourney. Could get into top 5 due to being faster than Tkachuk.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I really liked Hickeys game. Considering he played 25 plus minutes against against Austin Mathews line and was on for only one goal 5 v 5 on a scramble play off a draw.
They only allowed 8 scoring chances as a team and a large part of that was the Hickey Fleury matchup.

I personally don't think the Brodie comparisons are quite true. He's a great skater but not elite like TJ or Karlsson. To me he's more of a Travis Hamonic type. So impressed by him though. Such an impressive prospect and exactly what we need. A smart, shutdown-guy.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hickey and MacDonald were decent, not great. Tough goals for MacDonald, Hicketts was especially dumb on that play, looked like a forward deflecting a puck on an opposing goalie.

Hickey was good. He has good NHL potential.
McDonald was shaky. Yeah it wasnt totally his fault on some of the goals but good goalie makes tough saves. If Blackwood is any good, next game should be McDonald's last in this tournament.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Ollas

[mod]
He looked pretty good btw. Solid stay at home D.

Not picking Kylington is as big of a mistake as not inviting Hedman to the Olympics.

Sweden do these things pretty often. Value character and team play more than talent and skill.

Don't like it..

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Hickey made some really bad errors and made some dangerous plays in the third. I thought his game was really good in the second though.

I don't know if you can compare him to Brodie just from watching that game though, he rarely joined the rush because of the defensive role he has on the team. All game he never really got the chance to show his offensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad