OT: Official Video Game Thread (Part 4)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I guess in terms of value proposition at least a lot of the high quality stuff coming out has/will have a high hour count. So you get your money's worth game to game, but you don't have time to play the other 8 high hour count releases that are coming out.

Trying to get through Nioh with Berseria sitting on the shelf and I'm going to end up getting Horizon and Nier on the same day thanks to Amazon's shipping speed. Skipped Yakuza 0 just out of time and money and I'll obviously skip Zelda since I don't have anything that'll play it.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
IMHO 8 hours is the sweetspot. I cant play those 200 hour epics anymore.

notime.jpg

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Eh, I beat RE7 in 8 hours and felt the same way that I always do when that happens: I should've waited until this game was $20.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Older games had way less content and were still considered full games. They just were so brutally hard that it took forever to beat them ;)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
wonder if thats' a myth.

I mean I heard of how mythologically hard the original Mega Man games were.
I got the collection and finished the first 7 in an afternoon.

I think most of us just got a lot better at games. Mike Tyson isn't even particularly hard in NES Punchout.

I think we all just sucked at games when we were kids.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
wonder if thats' a myth.

I mean I heard of how mythologically hard the original Mega Man games were.
I got the collection and finished the first 7 in an afternoon.

I think most of us just got a lot better at games. Mike Tyson isn't even particularly hard in NES Punchout.

I think we all just sucked at games when we were kids.

I can't beat PunchOut at all. While it's true that our skills and reaction times are better when we are adults, games were hard unless we practiced them. I used to be able to beat Contra without continuing or using the code...

A lot of NES games are hard until you learn the mechanics. I couldn't beat the original SMB for years. :( Nowadays I can clear even the more difficult Mario games.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I can't beat PunchOut at all. While it's true that our skills and reaction times are better when we are adults, games were hard unless we practiced them. I used to be able to beat Contra without continuing or using the code...

A lot of NES games are hard until you learn the mechanics. I couldn't beat the original SMB for years. :( Nowadays I can clear even the more difficult Mario games.

I think it must be different for everyone. I'm completely **** at the old school games now, lol. I got the "Sega" collection for PS3 and Vectorman was on it (one of my favorite games back in the day), and I could barely make it to the boss of the first level, let alone beat the game like I did when I was a kid. Maybe I had more patience for a difficult game when I was a kid? I dunno.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think it must be different for everyone. I'm completely **** at the old school games now, lol. I got the "Sega" collection for PS3 and Vectorman was on it (one of my favorite games back in the day), and I could barely make it to the boss of the first level, let alone beat the game like I did when I was a kid. Maybe I had more patience for a difficult game when I was a kid? I dunno.

I used to be very good at Sonic games when I was a kid, not so much Mario games. I guess it really depends on the game but Punch-Out still kicks my ass.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Some old games were also just full of bull****. Getting through something like Simon's Quest wasn't a skill-based issue.

You also have to keep in mind that a lot of things back then were arcade ports, and arcade games were designed to be unfair so you'd have to keep putting in quarters.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Just wondering if anyone has played franchise hockey manager 3 and how it compared to Eastside hockey manager on steam?

Its double the price of EHM and its fully NHL licensed, i will look at reviews but tend to trust hockey fans when it comes to hockey sims or sports games in general.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I remember celebrating when I made it through Ghosts n Goblins, thinking I was the greatest. Until I realized I had to do it all over again. I can't prove it scientifically, but due to the fact that there were no save mechanics etc on some of those games, they were incredibly difficult to actually beat, and I think are much harder than most games today.

But it could just be 'back in my day' hitting me hard as well.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I remember celebrating when I made it through Ghosts n Goblins, thinking I was the greatest. Until I realized I had to do it all over again. I can't prove it scientifically, but due to the fact that there were no save mechanics etc on some of those games, they were incredibly difficult to actually beat, and I think are much harder than most games today.

For a while, our Sega had issues saving - If you pulled the cartridge from the system, the saved game would erase. For all games. My brother and I were fans of RPG games back then, and so we had to invest all of our gaming time to one game at a time. That was brutal enough, let alone no save functions at all.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

Games were intentionally difficult because they were stupidly short. Games like Batman for the NES were perfect because it was difficult without being cheap while also having great replay value. I recently tried going back to Ghosts n Goblins and the game has not aged well and in my opinion was quite overrated. What gave it attention was the punishing difficulty, but the mechanics were cheap especially the god damn red devils.

Good platforming games like Mario were hard but still enjoyable without getting frustrating, those were the games that stood the test of time because they were not cheap and gimmicky and used difficulty as some staple of quality. Screw you battletoads!

One of the best platformers of the 90's in my opinion.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
Older games had way less content and were still considered full games. They just were so brutally hard that it took forever to beat them ;)

I think they were a bit harder than the average game but not having the internet and having to solve things on your own, for the most part, made things quite a bit harder.

Now a days, you have a harder game like dark souls, but multiple in depth guides means you can beat it if you put some work in. Though I find games like that quite a bit more enjoyable without using guides, to be honest.

It's like the original zelda back in the day. So much fun was trying to solve things - using your brain for once and getting rewarded.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Pretty sure the first 4 months of this year have enough games to make a better top 10 list than most other years.

Too bad they're all $80.

I know, I find the prices are ridiculous expensive compared to what are neighbors down south are paying.

Xbox store still wants $80 for Madden even though the season is over. Even console prices are ridiculous.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Hey guys i'm looking getting a PS4 Pro. Cant find the original PS4 anywhere and not really sure about the Slim. I have no interest in buying a 4K tv anytime soon. Is there really that much of a difference with how games look on a regular 1080p tv?

I dont really want to pay $500 for a Pro but I dont trust Kijiji sellers when it comes to electronics

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Hey guys i'm looking getting a PS4 Pro. Cant find the original PS4 anywhere and not really sure about the Slim. I have no interest in buying a 4K tv anytime soon. Is there really that much of a difference with how games look on a regular 1080p tv?

I dont really want to pay $500 for a Pro but I dont trust Kijiji sellers when it comes to electronics

unless you are getting a 4k tv i wouldnt worry about the pro.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
unless you are getting a 4k tv i wouldnt worry about the pro.

I've heard things like that too but I've also heard mixed reviews on the slim and "If you can afford the extra $100 get the Pro" Also i'm not finding the original PS4 anywhere and like I said in previous posts I dont trust sites like Kijiji when it comes to electronics and stuff.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
With boost mode coming in the next firmware update it might just be worth it to get a Pro anyways. You'll at least see higher frame rates even if you're not getting the benefits of 4K/HDR.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
With boost mode coming in the next firmware update it might just be worth it to get a Pro anyways. You'll at least see higher frame rates even if you're not getting the benefits of 4K/HDR.

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the Pro more now that I think about it. I'm a baseball fan and its been too long since i've played a baseball game, The Show '08 was the last one and since Xbox doesnt have baseball it kinda sucks not being able to play it. Also Uncharted 4 looks amazing.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just wondering if anyone has played franchise hockey manager 3 and how it compared to Eastside hockey manager on steam?

Its double the price of EHM and its fully NHL licensed, i will look at reviews but tend to trust hockey fans when it comes to hockey sims or sports games in general.

Just thought I'd chime in here, I had a lot of fun with FHM 3 for a couple months, have just not had time to play any games in general for a while but I'd go back to it. I have a mac now so EHM wasn't really an option (just not into putting all the effort in required to make that work), but I did play a ton of the old EHM as a kid. FHM was a fun experience, but it still has its problems. If I were you, I'd probably get EHM for now since it's cheaper, but FHM could surpass EHM as soon as version 4.

If you're a baseball fan at all (even just a little bit), I'd get OOTP (either last years version or I'm assuming the new version will be coming out in March), play that during baseball season, and then see what kind of reviews FHM 4 gets when it comes out. Same company that makes FHM. It's simply a fantastic sports manager sim. It's the reason I say that FHM will soon surpass OOTP. If it ever gets to that level, it will blow EHM out of the water.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I think they were a bit harder than the average game but not having the internet and having to solve things on your own, for the most part, made things quite a bit harder.

Now a days, you have a harder game like dark souls, but multiple in depth guides means you can beat it if you put some work in. Though I find games like that quite a bit more enjoyable without using guides, to be honest.

It's like the original zelda back in the day. So much fun was trying to solve things - using your brain for once and getting rewarded.

That's true for adventure games for sure. Hell I was stuck on a game for over two years before I finally figured out the solution. It was quite the feeling of accomplishment. :laugh: It would have been 2 minutes if the internet was around back then.

But the term "NES Hard" exists for a reason. Some of those side scrolling action games were damn near impossible. Today's games with their multiple save points and check points just don't compare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad