Official Training Camp Roster Talk - Part II (The Final Stretch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

Looking at Corsi stats on a team that is a corsi juggernaut is a waste of time. There isn't really anything to say about it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If that were true...

Our best skating mobile preseason defender with gap control and defensive fundamentals superior to Sbisa and Bartkowsky... then a player like that should easily get scooped on the waiver wire straight into another team's active roster... correct?

... and here comes the appeal to authority.

No, I don't think he'll get claimed. Nobody gets claimed at this time of year and he's probably been typecast as a career minor-leaguer at this point.

But again, we're comparing him to guys like Sbisa and Bartkowski who would probably be in Europe if not for Benning.

On a good team, Biega is not in your top-6. On this team? Hell yeah he should be.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Really wish they would move Vrbata back with the twins, it's so obvious they are trying to put Sutter in the top 6 to justify his contract, he's a decent player but is suited for the bottom six and right now should be our fourth line centre.

Put the kid line back together, they r trying this horvat and vrbata combo that just doesn't fit. Virtanen provides that tenacious forecheck to the line while being an offensive threat and creates space for Baertschi and Horvat to do their thing.

Burrows-Mccann-Hansen line is fine

Cracknell-Sutter-Dorsett should be the fourth line. Sutter would get his icetime with 1-2-3-4 willie

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
If that were true...

Our best skating mobile preseason defender with gap control and defensive fundamentals superior to Sbisa and Bartkowsky... then a player like that should easily get scooped on the waiver wire straight into another team's active roster... correct?

no of course not. why would you say something this wrong

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
... and here comes the appeal to authority.

No, I don't think he'll get claimed. Nobody gets claimed at this time of year and he's probably been typecast as a career minor-leaguer at this point.

But again, we're comparing him to guys like Sbisa and Bartkowski who would probably be in Europe if not for Benning.

On a good team, Biega is not in your top-6. On this team? Hell yeah he should be.

There's confirmation of your hyperbole.
Unless he gets claimed of course. He would easily bounce Gryba from the Oil lineup... we skated by him at will.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Unless he gets claimed of course. He would easily bounce Gryba from the Oil lineup... we skated by him at will.

It's not confirmation of anything.

I also think that Sbisa, Bartkowski, and Weber would all clear waivers if we'd waived them today. Sbisa would clear at half his current salary.

Nobody gets claimed at this time of year. Everyone has tunnel vision for their own guys.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If Corrado goes unclaimed, I'd piss myself.

I don't think it's possible, because teams will see what he did a few years ago and think they're able to bring that back. + RD depth in this league is WEAKKK

Even if he doesn't get claimed, Canucks need to watch the waiver wire and take shots at anyone who's even call up material because we need depth.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

i could guarantee, with any wager you want Sbisa would clear waivers as well....

Last year Markstrom the "next one" cleared waivers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Corrado goes unclaimed, I'd piss myself.

I don't think it's possible, because teams will see what he did a few years ago and think they're able to bring that back. + RD depth in this league is WEAKKK

Even if he doesn't get claimed, Canucks need to watch the waiver wire and take shots at anyone who's even call up material because we need depth.

Why would anyone claim him?

Every team has 9 or 10 guys better than Corrado and prospects they're cutting that are better than Corrado.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

Every team has 9 or 10 guys better than Corrado and prospects they're cutting that are better than Corrado.

oh come on. you've been playing dumb about corrado for ages now. yes, we know you dont like him, yes, you want him gone, great. if you actually expect me to believe that you dont understand why he has a good chance of being claimed i dont know what to tell you

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
oh come on. you've been playing dumb about corrado for ages now. yes, we know you dont like him, yes, you want him gone, great. if you actually expect me to believe that you dont understand why he has a good chance of being claimed i dont know what to tell you

If any scout watched tape on him this preseason I can see why he would slip through unclaimed.

I think there is a chance just based on the fact he is only 22 and has room and time to develop into an everyday NHL defenseman.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I don't like how Corrado is playing right now. I don't want him gone - I absolutely want to keep him in the organization.

After following this sport for as long as I have, I have at this point figured out that almost every player on waivers clears waivers. Just like everyone expected Markstrom to be claimed last year ... and he wasn't.

If we'd waived Nicklas Jensen today, do you think he'd be claimed?

Frank Corrado was the 10th-best defender on one of the thinnest defensive groups in the NHL this preseason. He is not close to the NHL. He is not a desirable quantity. Every team has guys like this.

We have tunnel vision because we're familiar with him and have been following him for years.

If Edmonton waived Jordan Oesterle (who is probably a better prospect than Corrado right now), would you be dying to claim him? Do you think anyone would?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It's not confirmation of anything.

I also think that Sbisa, Bartkowski, and Weber would all clear waivers if we'd waived them today. Sbisa would clear at half his current salary.

Nobody gets claimed at this time of year. Everyone has tunnel vision for their own guys.

Well, that's confirmation something else.. But i don't wanna take a personal jab ;)

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I don't like how Corrado is playing right now. I don't want him gone - I absolutely want to keep him in the organization.

After following this sport for as long as I have, I have at this point figured out that almost every player on waivers clears waivers. Just like everyone expected Markstrom to be claimed last year ... and he wasn't.

If we'd waived Nicklas Jensen today, do you think he'd be claimed?

Frank Corrado was the 10th-best defender on one of the thinnest defensive groups in the NHL this preseason. He is not close to the NHL. He is not a desirable quantity. Every team has guys like this.

We have tunnel vision because we're familiar with him and have been following him for years.

If Edmonton waived Jordan Oesterle (who is probably a better prospect than Corrado right now), would you be dying to claim him? Do you think anyone would?

jordan osterle doesn't have "dropped into the nhl playoffs at 20 and looked good" hanging over his head

like, if corrado didnt play that year but was somehow still waiver eligible right now, there's a 0% chance he's claimed. sadly, we played him for a few games and ****ed everything up, and thats not the reality we live in

Well, that's confirmation something else.. But i don't wanna take a personal jab ;)

he's right about that. except maybe weber. weber might be claimed.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

Just so I can know for future discussions,

You actually think with a 3.6million price tag Sbisa gets claimed on waivers?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

I'd understand it if he's a left D, but honestly the RD depth in this league is ridiculously weak.

He's got the tools to be a top four D, but he's regressed.

I'd take a shot on him as depth in the east, but that's just me.

FWIW, i don't think he's any better than a guy like Bartkowski ATM.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
also: accusing someone of confirmation bias is not an insult or a personal attack. in that case though, it wouldnt even be a good use of the term

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's confirming you don't understand how the modern NHL works.

Cody Franson is a better player than all these guys by a mile and couldn't get a contract this summer.

There is no market for mediocre 3rd-pairing mid-late 20s defenders making a non-bargain salary. Or just an outright awful player in Sbisa's case.

The market is flooded with guys like this and every team is looking to play prospects with more upside in place of them.

Would you have any interest in Brett Bellemarre or Cody Goloubef or Kevan Miller if they were on waivers?

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I'm goin to laugh if he gets claimed.

some solid back peddling will occur.

would rather see Corrado play than trash like Sbisa and Bartkowski

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
jordan osterle doesn't have "dropped into the nhl playoffs at 20 and looked good" hanging over his head

like, if corrado didnt play that year but was somehow still waiver eligible right now, there's a 0% chance he's claimed. sadly, we played him for a few games and ****ed everything up, and thats not the reality we live in

I don't think playing 4 games three seasons ago really makes a whit of difference to his waiver status today (aside from causing it).

He's looked bad for over 30 games since.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
It's confirming you don't understand how the modern NHL works.

Cody Franson is a better player than all these guys by a mile and couldn't get a contract this summer.

There is no market for mediocre 3rd-pairing mid-late 20s defenders making a non-bargain salary. Or just an outright awful player in Sbisa's case.

The market is flooded with guys like this and every team is looking to play prospects with more upside in place of them.

Would you have any interest in Brett Bellemarre or Cody Goloubef or Kevan Miller if they were on waivers?

i'd replace sbisa with miller so ****ing fast it would make your head spin

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm goin to laugh if he gets claimed.

some solid back peddling will occur.

would rather see Corrado play than trash like Sbisa and Bartkowski

I'm not saying for certain he won't get claimed. There is probably a small chance and of course you can't account for one GM liking him - much like you couldn't account for it last summer when Benning somehow targeted a buyout candidate in Sbisa.

But again, history tells us - unequivocally - that the VAST majority of similar players waived at this time clear waivers.

And there is simply no way you operate an NHL team based on 'waiver fear' and keep better players in the NHL to stick a bad/struggling player in the pressbox here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i'd replace sbisa with miller so ****ing fast it would make your head spin

:laugh:

Ha, to be fair of course so would I - with any of those 3 players.

However, in a world where Sbisa is guaranteed to be on the team, do you think there's any chance we'd claim any of them?

We have literally the thinnest blueline in the NHL and are still waiving guys we don't want to waive and have no room to claim anybody. You don't think everyone is in this situation?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
ill give one thing to jim benning - if there's any gm that's capable of sussing out whether or not corrado is likely to be claimed, its him. between his Good Guy Demeanor and his likely ridiculous work ethic im guessing he's got a handle on most of the teams he would be concerned about and judged them unlikely to claim corrado

gotta just hope for the best i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille