Official Training Camp Roster Talk - Part II (The Final Stretch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It's confirming you don't understand how the modern NHL works.

Cody Franson is a better player than all these guys by a mile and couldn't get a contract this summer.

There is no market for mediocre 3rd-pairing mid-late 20s defenders making a non-bargain salary. Or just an outright awful player in Sbisa's case.

The market is flooded with guys like this and every team is looking to play prospects with more upside in place of them.

Would you have any interest in Brett Bellemarre or Cody Goloubef or Kevan Miller if they were on waivers?

Zero hesitation the other way! ha ha..

As for the second sentence.. eeeeewww.
We definitely have 'different' values in evaluating talent.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Really wish they would move Vrbata back with the twins, it's so obvious they are trying to put Sutter in the top 6 to justify his contract, he's a decent player but is suited for the bottom six and right now should be our fourth line centre.

Put the kid line back together, they r trying this horvat and vrbata combo that just doesn't fit. Virtanen provides that tenacious forecheck to the line while being an offensive threat and creates space for Baertschi and Horvat to do their thing.

Burrows-Mccann-Hansen line is fine

Cracknell-Sutter-Dorsett should be the fourth line. Sutter would get his icetime with 1-2-3-4 willie

I think everyone prettymuch shares your sentiment
Normally I wouldn't fuss about it too much, in the AV years he juggled lines all the time that lines out of camp were somewhat meaningless
I'm a little concerned they might stay the course with this but hopefully not
Then again higgins comes back, lots can change in short order so we'll see
at this point I'm just elated to see that we have some high pedigree youth that actually made the team

arsmaster*

oh come on. you've been playing dumb about corrado for ages now. yes, we know you dont like him, yes, you want him gone, great. if you actually expect me to believe that you dont understand why he has a good chance of being claimed i dont know what to tell you

Shhh....you guys are supposed to agree on everything, group think...blah blah....echo chamber.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
ya to be fair its weird disagreeing with ms

edit: by want him gone i meant off the team fwiw. i didnt actually think ms wants him out of the organization

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Zero hesitation the other way! ha ha..

As for the second sentence.. eeeeewww.
We definitely have 'different' values in evaluating talent.

You think Luca Sbisa and Matt Bartkowski are better NHL players than Cody Franson?

:huh:

arsmaster*

Corrado played 12 minutes a game in the post season, lets stop treating it like he was eating top 4 minutes. He had a tremendous NHL coach who used him sparingly and knew how to get him in situations he wouldn't be destroyed in, and he was still a minus.

I like the kid, I still think he can be an NHL player, but he wasn't a top 6 defensman here, and he won't be anywhere else.

Linden was right, the kid needs to play games.....its a real shame he sat up here for 30+ games in the pressbox last season, looks pretty poor on the management and developmental staff now, doesn't it?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
a couple things:

A: ferraro seems to think he's likely to get claimed. hope he's wrong
B: thank **** re-entry waivers dont exist anymore

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
On a positive note, I'm really happy that they had the balls to pull these moves.

Sutter looked awful on the wing, but if they play him there for a bit, he could grow into it if he himself also grows a pear and is willing to get in on the forecheck properly, and only establish himself in the slot after we've got the puck in the right position. He really looked lost without the puck in the offensive zone. I get that playing with the sedins is an adjustment period, but he doesn't have that long.

arsmaster*

a couple things:

A: ferraro seems to think he's likely to get claimed. hope he's wrong
B: thank **** re-entry waivers dont exist anymore

Did Ray give any inklings on which teams he expects to put a claim in?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Regarding your display pic, I realize it was taken when Benning was looking at something at the Draft this year, but what was it exactly? That expression is priceless and I'd love to hear the context.

i dont think it was ever stated

Did Ray give any inklings on which teams he expects to put a claim in?

nah all it was is

Omar R ‏@omarcanuck

Ferraro: I'm never surprised at people clearing waivers at the beginning of the year. I'll be surprised if (Corrado) gets through. #Canucks

Ferraro: I think they're hoping to sneak (Corrado) through... if I was an opp GM, I'd be v int in a R handed d-man who seems clever

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Honestly have no idea what the context is

It was posted, and I made it my profile pic within the 3 minutes after it first appeared.

It's too good.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Honestly have no idea what the context is

It was posted, and I made it my profile pic within the 3 minutes after it first appeared.

It's too good.

I think it had to do with Lucic. He apparently wasn't too interested in Hamilton, was heavily in on Lucic and those were the two big moves at the time right before his reaction.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Agreed on Weber.

I didn't like our defense corps at all with him as a regular dman in a healthy lineup. #7 with the potential to come in for longish periods during the season is something I like a lot more. He is not crap, but he doesn't excite me at all.

I still can't believe Hutton might be a top 4 dman so early.

I agree with the sentiment, but Weber isn't exactly an established commodity in the NHL. Despite being 27 he's only got slightly more than 200 games played. He's still very much in the bubble stage of his career, as evidenced by his one year contract.

The Sedins could've spent the entire pre-season napping between periods and shooting on their own net and they'd have been lining up at center ice for game one.

You know your organization has problems though when you have Sbisa ahead of Weber on the depth chart.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Oh, can someone explain to me why Higgins wasn't put on IR?

I thought he was out for at least two more wks?

arsmaster*

Oh, can someone explain to me why Higgins wasn't put on IR?

I thought he was out for at least two more wks?

My guess is they didn't care about he cap at all because .... Who cares about the cap?

And also I'm sure they want the kids who made it to feel like they've made it on merit.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
My guess is they didn't care about he cap at all because .... Who cares about the cap?

And also I'm sure they want the kids who made it to feel like they've made it on merit.

I don't know, you should always care about the cap, kinda gives you a competitive advantage.
Little things adds up.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
No one left on staff who knows how to file LTIR paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad