Official Training Camp Roster Talk - Part II (The Final Stretch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Point Projections:
Assuming they stick for the whole year, how many goals/points do you expect out of Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton?

- Jake Virtanen: 12 goals, 25 points

- Jared McCann: 8 goals, 20 points

- Ben Hutton: 4 goals, 22 points

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Point Projections:
Assuming they stick for the whole year, how many goals/points do you expect out of Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton?

- Jake Virtanen: 12 goals, 25 points

- Jared McCann: 8 goals, 20 points

- Ben Hutton: 4 goals, 22 points

All depends on who they play with. McCann with good wingers 15 30. McCann with Prust and Dorsett, more the 8 20.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hutton > everything

I agree. I love Hutton and hope he stays.

Having said that - can Hutton play the right side?

(i.e.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton?)

If not, then do you move Edler to the right side?

(i.e.

Hamhuis-Edler
Hutton-Tanev?)

If neither of the above are options, then this is where Jeff Patterson's argument kicks in: Is it better for Hutton to be THE guy down in Utica, get tons of ice-time and responsibility, and then be the first call up when injuries occur on the big club? Is that option better than being a 5/6 guy on the big club and getting limited ice-time?).

My other thought is this:

1) If the Canucks feel that Hutton is ready for Top 4 duty
2) If none of Hamhuis/Edler can play the right side

Do you actually TRADE a guy like Dan Hamhuis NOW (as opposed to trade deadline) and get you 1st round pick + B prospect right NOW, so that you open up the spot for Hutton.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Bartkowski

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
I get the feeling they are going to do what they had planned all along. I don't think either McCann or Gaunce start the year in Vancouver. Too bad for McCann, as he literally has: Worked his tail off, been strong without the puck and in his own zone, looked like he could help our second powerplay unit out a ton, and produced.... Yet I think Jake will still make the team over him. I have a hard time believing management would move prust or dorsset out of the lineup, which would have to be done if McCann + Gaunce make it.

But if you want to play devils advocate, I do believe showing well at this level is different than being able to play 82 games a year. Would McCann show as strongly in the last 20 games as the first 20? Maybe, hell he would improve like horvat. But I also consider this: the canucks have some young talent for the first time in a while... By keeping the vets up MAYBE you are able to sell at the deadline, recoup some picks, plus finish low enough to have a chance at a real impact player.

This group of young players with the addition of a couple high end prospects would be pretty intreguing. Most definetly ahead of where Calgary was a few years ago.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
tks Biega and corrado would be picked up as there are teams looking for depth dmen.

maybe sbisa with his contract may disuade someone from picking him up off waivers(IM sure a large amount of fans like that idea of him picking picked off waivers)

only problem is missing that big body that can help take pressure off Edler

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

(i.e.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton?)

(i.e.

Hamhuis-Edler
Hutton-Tanev?)

If neither of the above are options, then this is where Jeff Patterson's argument kicks in: Is it better for Hutton to be THE guy down in Utica, get tons of ice-time and responsibility, and then be the first call up when injuries occur on the big club? Is that option better than being a 5/6 guy on the big club and getting limited ice-time?).

Do you actually TRADE a guy like Dan Hamhuis NOW (as opposed to trade deadline) and get you 1st round pick + B prospect right NOW, so that you open up the spot for Hutton.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Bartkowski

Sbisa looked maybe the best I've seen him last night playing on the right with Hutton on his natural side. Sbisa is an overthinker and gets flustered by options. Playing on his offside makes him play simpler as there are less options.
I may be miss remembering but last year when the injury bug hit Sbisa had to log top 4 minutes but on the right side with Hamhuis, and looked half ass decent for that stretch.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Sbisa/Bartkowski
Hamhuis-Weber
Biega

That is how I would break camp.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I get the feeling they are going to do what they had planned all along. I don't think either McCann or Gaunce start the year in Vancouver. Too bad for McCann, as he literally has: Worked his tail off, been strong without the puck and in his own zone, looked like he could help our second powerplay unit out a ton, and produced.... Yet I think Jake will still make the team over him. I have a hard time believing management would move prust or dorsset out of the lineup, which would have to be done if McCann + Gaunce make it.

But if you want to play devils advocate, I do believe showing well at this level is different than being able to play 82 games a year. Would McCann show as strongly in the last 20 games as the first 20? Maybe, hell he would improve like horvat. But I also consider this: the canucks have some young talent for the first time in a while... By keeping the vets up MAYBE you are able to sell at the deadline, recoup some picks, plus finish low enough to have a chance at a real impact player.

This group of young players with the addition of a couple high end prospects would be pretty intreguing. Most definetly ahead of where Calgary was a few years ago.

Who would you rather have for nine games or even a season.... Prust and Vey, or McCann-Gaunce?.....you'd have to totally blind during the pre-season to somehow conclude that the veterans are a better option.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

(i.e.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton?)

(i.e.

Hamhuis-Edler
Hutton-Tanev?)

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Bartkowski

Hutton was on his off side for that first shift cluster **** that resulted in a goal against. Whether he went over the boards on his off side or just rotated over with the flow of the play I don't know. Didn't see him over there again the rest of the game though.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I'm happy with this line-up:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Higgins-Cracknell-Dorsett
Prust

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartkowski
Sbisa

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Hutton was on his off side for that first shift cluster **** that resulted in a goal against. Whether he went over the boards on his off side or just rotated over with the flow of the play I don't know. Didn't see him over there again the rest of the game though.

Only other time was on the PP to set up the one timer.

Tall task to ask a kid to not only crack an NHL lineup as a 22 year old Dman, but to also do it on his offside.

KINGFILL

May 13, 2015
It would seem unless there are changes the top 4 D and top 9 forwards look set

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Bae Horvat Virt
Burrows Sutter Hansen

Will be interesting what they do with 4th line with Prust/Dorsett/Gaunce/McCann/Vey

McCann could look good in Sutters spot with 2 good 2way vets on his wing

But highly doubt they start Sutter with Dorsett

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014

(i.e.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton?)

(i.e.

Hamhuis-Edler
Hutton-Tanev?)

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Bartkowski

Hamhuis has been a bit overrated over the past few years IMO, and would net a good return. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him now and hoping he resigns in the offseason (why wouldn't he?)

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
When Horvat said he hoped the Virtanen and Baertschi line will be a thing for a long time, I think he's implying something there.

You gotta think that he is really hoping Virtanen, McCann and Hutton stick around this year. A lot of the guys are 30+ on this team and he probably wants someone who can play video games with or go clubbing with.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I would LOVE a trade right now if it means Vey, Sbisa, Prust or Dorsett are moved

I would even gladly move one of our pieces for futures right now as well...Burrows, Hamuis, Higgins or Hansen

I will pretty much drop this team and become the newest expansion teams fan if they trade McCann, Hutton, Virtanen or Gaunce ( yes Gaunce )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino