OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I continue to be amazed how common mistakes are in The Athletic

Today they said that the turnover that lead to the Kuraly goal was from "Grant McKegg", who not only doesn't exist, but it was actually Brock McGinn. Best part is, the comment section pointed that out, he responded and said "good catch" and it still never got fixed

I'm not saying I'm perfect but come on... that site is a mess

Not sure I am going to re-up my subscription when it ends. There's plenty of content just as "in-depth" (if not more) for free, and probably less mistakes too. There's really nothing groundbreaking on there anyways

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
That’s a reversal. Lately it’s writers leaving established publications for the Athletic gold.

Anyway I’m glad he’s heading to the Globe. He’s got big shoes to fill if he’s taking Nick Cafardo’s slot. Or maybe Peter Abraham already has.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
With women entering the commentary world of men sports I would say Dottie Pepper during Golf tournaments has been the best so far.

agreed. Her and Doris Burke are the only ones I can stomach.

The rest cant get a sentence out without tripping over their words, or give analysis as deep as a puddle and scream "token"

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That’s a reversal. Lately it’s writers leaving established publications for the Athletic gold.

Anyway I’m glad he’s heading to the Globe. He’s got big shoes to fill if he’s taking Nick Cafardo’s slot. Or maybe Peter Abraham already has.

Peter has taken over Nick's role

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
88774741-037B-4ACA-A31A-F8AF784F0023.png
As imperfect as NBC is at times with the broadcast, f*** ESPN getting in on reacquiring NHL broadcast rights.

This is embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BMC

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Is ANYONE talking hockey right now? Good lawd.

What’s the best station to hear bruins talk these playoffs? I’d think 98.5 but they’re talking too much Celtics and huuuwhatnot. I feel like I’m missing some Canadian station

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Is ANYONE talking hockey right now? Good lawd.

What’s the best station to hear bruins talk these playoffs? I’d think 98.5 but they’re talking too much Celtics and huuuwhatnot. I feel like I’m missing some Canadian station
98.5 had the hockey show earlier.

It has been so frustrating through this run that even the flagship station is ignoring them for the most part.

It feels like 2013 in terms of coverage except instead of Aaron Hernandez it’s what a selfish donkey Kyrie is.

Reactions: BMC

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
98.5 had the hockey show earlier.

It has been so frustrating through this run that even the flagship station is ignoring them for the most part.

It feels like 2013 in terms of coverage except instead of Aaron Hernandez it’s what a selfish donkey Kyrie is.

Just goes to show you how people typically think, focusing on the negative instead. Interesting sight into psychology if nothing else

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Celtics drama is better radio.

Negativity sells.
With social media era, negativity and fake topics is everywhere. I haven’t heard a single guest in either of the two stations in ages. Just controversy. As bad as Dino was, at least his shows had tons of interviews. WEEI is so different now. Horrible.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I caught part of a replay this morning of Dale and Keene with a guest. Sounded like the interview was from the day after the Bruins swept.

The guest claimed that Marchand would have his number retired and same for Pastrnak if he sticks around for 15 years.

It’ll be interesting how this core if viewed ten or so years down the road if they end up winning it all this year.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I continue to be amazed how common mistakes are in The Athletic

Today they said that the turnover that lead to the Kuraly goal was from "Grant McKegg", who not only doesn't exist, but it was actually Brock McGinn. Best part is, the comment section pointed that out, he responded and said "good catch" and it still never got fixed

I'm not saying I'm perfect but come on... that site is a mess

Not sure I am going to re-up my subscription when it ends. There's plenty of content just as "in-depth" (if not more) for free, and probably less mistakes too. There's really nothing groundbreaking on there anyways

i wonder how many of those writers don't have an editor. someone like lebrun (who comes off as a massive egomaniac)
probably has the green light to post whatever he writes without anyone reviewing it. and you can tell as he is sloppy with
his writing. the more annoying thing about the athletic is the constant ballwashing of their colleagues. seems like half
of their job is to talk about how fantastic "writer x" is and to "read his/her article now!"

during the season, it seemed like when someone asked if a writer was at the game, the response was "nah, i'm off tonight".

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
i wonder how many of those writers don't have an editor. someone like lebrun (who comes off as a massive egomaniac)
probably has the green light to post whatever he writes without anyone reviewing it. and you can tell as he is sloppy with
his writing. the more annoying thing about the athletic is the constant ballwashing of their colleagues. seems like half
of their job is to talk about how fantastic "writer x" is and to "read his/her article now!"

during the season, it seemed like when someone asked if a writer was at the game, the response was "nah, i'm off tonight".

Could not agree more with the backwashing part. For some reason a lot of them act like they’re doing some great service to the people when they’re just writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad