OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Felga doing his best fishing putting down the Orr goal
I could see him now giggling that got them going
What he should look up was the Bruins trip to the finals against two good teams, Rangers and the Blackhawks.
Boston sports radio sucks

Reactions: Chief Nine

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Felga doing his best fishing putting down the Orr goal
I could see him now giggling that got them going
What he should look up was the Bruins trip to the finals against two good teams, Rangers and the Blackhawks.
Boston sports radio sucks

Heard that take. Definitely something you'll never hear on hockey radio anywhere else. Making comparisons to the 70s Bruins vs blues is completely acceptable with this rematch. Going against the grain I suppose

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Felger is a boob

It's pretty obvious what he's there for. He's there to piss off as many mouthbreathers as he can to call in which makes people want to listen*.

I compare it to a car on the side of the road. In most cases, there isn't jack shit to see, but sure as hell, it's likely going to cause a traffic jam. Same thing: pissed off mouthbreathers calling in to yell at talkshow host = revenue.

They're not there to discuss sports, they're there to generate revenue. And this is why they talk about the Patriots and Red Sox ad nauseum because that's who makes up most of the audience that listens. They don't want to talk about hockey unless there's something to crap on.

*This isn't appealing in anyway to me on any level, but I'm not their target audience

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Orr goal was a made for TV moment.

The Bruins had really won the Stanley Cup 2 weeks before when they finished sweeping Chicago which had beaten out the Bruins for the top seed in the east partly because they 'won' a game in Boston even though they never scored.

There was very little drama in that SCF except Game 4 went into OT but the series was a wonderful way to escape the real world as the previous week was not a good one in the history of the US.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's pretty obvious what he's there for. He's there to piss off as many mouthbreathers as he can to call in which makes people want to listen*.

I compare it to a car on the side of the road. In most cases, there isn't jack **** to see, but sure as hell, it's likely going to cause a traffic jam. Same thing: pissed off mouthbreathers calling in to yell at talkshow host = revenue.

They're not there to discuss sports, they're there to generate revenue. And this is why they talk about the Patriots and Red Sox ad nauseum because that's who makes up most of the audience that listens. They don't want to talk about hockey unless there's something to crap on.

*This isn't appealing in anyway to me on any level, but I'm not their target audience

He also knows his audience is smaller than usual today because the Sox are playing.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

I compare it to a car on the side of the road. In most cases, there isn't jack **** to see, but sure as hell, it's likely going to cause a traffic jam. Same thing: pissed off mouthbreathers calling in to yell at talkshow host = revenue.

Heck I should make a podcast and trash every treasured sports memory the last 50 years and see how big I make it

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Heck I should make a podcast and trash every treasured sports memory the last 50 years and see how big I make it

Honestly, that's sort of what Felger's doing. You could do the contrarian act like:

Really, what so great about Muhammad Ali's knockout of Sonny Liston? He barely touched him. Was it a dive? (probably been done already lol)
Michael Jordan and Larry Bird weren't really that great, if they had to do all that scoring that means the teams they were on were terrible and they were nothing but overrated ball hogs
Lou Gehrig, was he really an iron man or was his manager to afraid to sit him when he sucked?
Wayne Gretzky, was he really that good or was it really the fact that everyone he played against in that era was coked out?

You could go on and on :laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-5-21_4-47-26.png

Reactions: Fenian24

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Thank God I don’t listen

That f’err is criticizing the Orr goal?

Christ...

It's a little disingenuous to say he's criticizing the goal. He's not. He's criticizing the people who act like that moment was more than what it actually was. Yes it was in OT, but they were playing an expansion team that was gifted a spot in the finals and they were leading the series 3 games to none, so it was a foregone conclusion that they'd win the series regardless of that iconic moment. Which is his actual point, and he's right. They would have won regardless of Orr flying through the air after that goal. It's still a really cool moment though, so f*** him. lol

He's also doing it just to aggravate people and get them to call in. He's done the same with the the impossible dream in 67, the Pats and their spygate/deflate gate stuff, and the Celtics titles in the 60s.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It's a little disingenuous to say he's criticizing the goal. He's not. He's criticizing the people who act like that moment was more than what it actually was. Yes it was in OT, but they were playing an expansion team that was gifted a spot in the finals and they were leading the series 3 games to none, so it was a foregone conclusion that they'd win the series regardless of that iconic moment. Which is his actual point, and he's right. They would have won regardless of Orr flying through the air after that goal. It's still a really cool moment though, so **** him. lol

He's also doing it just to aggravate people and get them to call in. He's done the same with the the impossible dream in 67, the Pats and their spygate/deflate gate stuff, and the Celtics titles in the 60s.

In other words, he's a professional troll

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Heard that take. Definitely something you'll never hear on hockey radio anywhere else. Making comparisons to the 70s Bruins vs blues is completely acceptable with this rematch. Going against the grain I suppose

What got me was he said he's most definitely not gonna talk about it, then spends the better part of 2 segments talking about it!

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He's also missing the boat. People aren't going to talk about Orr's goal because most fans now weren't alive for that. They're going to talk about Backes facing his old team, one he was the captain of, and how both are in the finals, if that happens.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad