OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He also did a segment called HAWKEY TAWK where he made fun of the callers trying to talk about the Bruins.

Not surprising he brought Felger in for that though because it was not really about hockey and more about controversy.

I give Felger credit for that, though. Jacobs got him axed from his B's beat, and Felger put the boot in for all Bruins fans at the time. Mr. Burns was aghast anyone might call his garbage.

That's the only good thing I have to say about Felger. These guys sell their souls. Almost every last one of them.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I was listening yesterday the guy was doing a good job answering the questions
Fred believes he is the old shock jock but really this guy is a loser
I am not a regular listener but never again I am done

I thought TSN was just playing a pregame series breakdown, didnt notice anything out of the ordinary with the analysis, then click. His co hosts and callers seem as perplexed as I was. Fred sounded pretty rattled after bc it blatently exposed he had something against people with southern accents . Quite a segment to hear.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Part of these radio shows is curbing your expectations and knowing what you’re getting and not getting.

When I leave school at 3:15, I could use a laugh. I know that if I throw F&M on, I’m going to get cynical, contrarian, negative, sardonic and sarcastic.

That’s the shtick.
They’re playing fictional characters as far as I’m concerned.

It’s almost like the SNL Bears Suprfans.

And I’m entertained by it.

I know it’s going to be low hanging fruit. I don’t expect high level analysis. Mazz knows he’s out of his element when it comes to hockey and he’s also lost his fastball when it comes to the Red Sox. Felger knows enough about all sports to carry a conversation, but I’m not tuning in for an in depth break down of the power play.

There are podcasts, Twitter, NHL Radio and other places to get that level of serious hockey talk.

Same basic principles apply to Toettcher and Rich. I just happen to not care for the product anymore and feel like it jumped the shark shortly after the 2011 Cup. Fred sounds more tired and depressed most of the time than MTV’s Daria.

Last edited:

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I made a statement that I couldn't stand T&R yesterday, but I feel I should narrow it down to Toucher. HATE is my favorite word for him.

His Chara impression today was amazing..

On the complete other end.. I love Felger and I don't even know why. He is an ass, but I can just about listen to him talk about anything.

Mazz though.. ugh PUPPET

Reactions: smithformeragent

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I made a statement that I couldn't stand T&R yesterday, but I feel I should narrow it down to Toucher. HATE is my favorite word for him.

On the complete other end.. I love Felger and I don't even know why. He is an ass, but I can just about listen to him talk about anything.

Mazz though.. ugh PUPPET

Felger is one of those types that comes off as interesting even when he's clearly selling a viewpoint just to aggravate the listeners. He trolls his audience so well, and despite it being obvious, they still fall for it and get mad and call in to argue. It's mesmerizing at times to listen to.

Reactions: chizzler and TP

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Is it just me or are other people here addicted to watching the pizza reviews on barstool? I haven't downloaded the app yet, but I can't get enough of the review videos. I could watch them all day long...

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Is it just me or are other people here addicted to watching the pizza reviews on barstool? I haven't downloaded the app yet, but I can't get enough of the review videos. I could watch them all day long...

I watched a few but still can't get over the fact that anyone would choose to eat plain cheese pizza, pretty much ever, never mind week after week.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I watched a few but still can't get over the fact that anyone would choose to eat plain cheese pizza, pretty much ever, never mind week after week.

HAHAHA!! I say the same thing every time. Put some sausage or pepperoni on that shit ASAP! I believe he only does cheese to try and level set it across the board for every place, but yeah, you need toppings on pizza at all times.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Mazz though.. ugh PUPPET

Truly, but instead of deny it, he’s embraced this role.

He’s nothing when he’s not playing off of Felger. The Baseball Reporters is unlistenable.

Reactions: TP

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Mazz though.. ugh PUPPET
Maybe it is The Wood effect.

Felger's wife Sara Underwood is freaking awesome and how she sasses him right back is beautiful radio.

I listen to T&R daily and for the most part it is ok but lately I've been gravitating to hockey podcasts and my ipod more during my am commute.

Mostly Spittn Chicklets, 98.5 Hockey Show, 2 Pucks Given and Off Ice with Ida and Julie (Nashville podcast that gives insights from the wives perspective and they bring in different guest weekly)

Felger and Mazz can be awful but they are funny and when you get stuck on the Pike after 5pm, it makes it slightly better.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Here’s an odd media related question.

Zolak and Bertrand play Your Love by The Outfield on Fridays.

Today, they played about half of the song.

Felger and Mazz play Glorified G.

Back in the day, the Big Show played Living in America.

Does the station have to pay to use these clips? Does the parent company have the rights and the sports stations also have the right?

Just curious.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Here’s an odd media related question.

Zolak and Bertrand play Your Love by The Outfield on Fridays.

Today, they played about half of the song.

Felger and Mazz play Glorified G.

Back in the day, the Big Show played Living in America.

Does the station have to pay to use these clips? Does the parent company have the rights and the sports stations also have the right?

Just curious.
If anyone is "paying" to play Glorified G they are off their rocker.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Was on my way home from the game last night and Adam Jones had just ended. Don't really care for him but he was talking about the game and it wasn't terrible.

Switched to WEEI and the only thing that guy talked about (12am dude) was Celtics and a garbage piece by that schlep Alex Reimer about how he wanted the Celtics to lose so he didn't have to watch anymore.

Oh. And he wanted insight on whether he was being a good father for letting his son twirl a baton????

It was short lived and I drove in silence after the first commercial break.

Reactions: Alicat

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Gaucher was the best.

However, I do like Sirrot.

But he goes waaaay over the top.
It’s not believable.

Don't get to listen to Sirrot much but I'm not a fan of the gimmicky "THEY SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" call. Be organic about it. If it's an exciting goal, then call it that way. I hate forced gimmicky "signature" goal calls.

The guy in Philly is ridiculous

Dave Gaucher is the best in the business

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Adam Jones makes me miss Damon Amendolara badly. He makes his negativity his shtick, but I am not a fan. He did have me rolling the other night when he was complaining about the hand shake line and kept saying like a kid.. "Good Game, Good Game, Good Game"

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
Adam Jones makes me miss Damon Amendolara badly. He makes his negativity his shtick, but I am not a fan. He did have me rolling the other night when he was complaining about the hand shake line and kept saying like a kid.. "Good Game, Good Game, Good Game"

He desperately tries to be Felger and fails miserably at it. The show was much better with Keefe, his goofiness helped balance Jones whining, complaining, and straw man arguments.

Sadly it's still better than anything that WEEI trots out at night.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
He desperately tries to be Felger and fails miserably at it. The show was much better with Keefe, his goofiness helped balance Jones whining, complaining, and straw man arguments.

Sadly it's still better than anything that WEEI trots out at night.
The Waldman/Sterling bit they did about Roger Clemens should go into a Sports Radio hall of fame.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I keep waiting for him to get the boot but I highly doubt it happens at this point.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Surprised no one ever calls Toucher (I think it’s him, can’t really tell the ding bats apart) our for his “impressions” of black sports players and castors

The voice he uses is an exaggerated old timey Jim Crow era black voice which rubs me the wrong way, I’d imagine there are some other people that would have a major problem with it.

I mean aside from the fact these two dopes constantly run on the same joke and are barely talking bruins right now (they’re one win away from the scf...really?) I’m amazed they don’t get called out for some of the hits and voices they do.

Reactions: dabid

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Surprised no one ever calls Toucher (I think it’s him, can’t really tell the ding bats apart) our for his “impressions” of black sports players and castors

The voice he uses is an exaggerated old timey Jim Crow era black voice which rubs me the wrong way, I’d imagine there are some other people that would have a major problem with it.

I mean aside from the fact these two dopes constantly run on the same joke and are barely talking bruins right now (they’re one win away from the scf...really?) I’m amazed they don’t get called out for some of the hits and voices they do.

Which ones specifically do you think are offensive? I've never thought they were, but doesn't mean I'm right and I haven't given it much thought.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Which ones specifically do you think are offensive? I've never thought they were, but doesn't mean I'm right and I haven't given it much thought.

All. Anytime a white person mocks the way a black person speaks, it’s pretty offensive, especially if they give a old timey Jim Crow era flair to it.

He was doing it this morning mimicking two black tv personalities, I believe one was Steve a smith and (possibly) Ray Lewis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad