OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
He's also missing the boat. People aren't going to talk about Orr's goal because most fans now weren't alive for that. They're going to talk about Backes facing his old team, one he was the captain of, and how both are in the finals, if that happens.

Well, that WILL happen. It will be either Backes or Thornton.

Reactions: LSCII

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
81446861_2-yFroBJcZJE22WNqDpaMa3lyl4Hbwa4U4zxyfjgLaI.jpg

Mike "Doc" Emrick, the lead play-by-play announcer for NBC's NHL coverage, won the Sports Emmy Award for Outstanding Sports Personality, Play-By-Play, for the record-setting sixth straight year.

Emrick was honored by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences at the 40th annual Sports Emmys in New York on Monday. He has won the play-by-play award in seven of the past nine years. His win in 2011 was the first national Emmy for a hockey broadcaster.

"It's always a shock because I didn't expect it," Emrick told NHL.com Tuesday. "At some point, especially when you consider the competition, the streak is going to end. Each time it is a shock when they call your name."

The 72-year-old has been calling professional hockey games since 1973. He received the Lester Patrick Award in 2004 and the Hockey Hall of Fame Foster Hewitt Memorial Award for outstanding contributions to hockey broadcasting in 2008.

Emrick is scheduled to call the Stanley Cup Final, beginning Monday when the Boston Bruins host the winner of the Western Conference Final.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Who’s ready for Felger’s Bobby Orr’s goal is overrated talk?

I’m rolling my eyes already

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
I know he's got his detractors, but I love Doc.

Count me as one of them. The vocabulary that he uses during a cast is totally nonsensical and bizarre. When I have the opportunity to listen to a Canadian broadcast over Doc, however biased against the Bruins they may be, I always go for Canada. At least they know how to use words.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Doc is one of the best in the business, there’s a reason he’s in the position he is in. One of the best to ever do it. Well deserved and hope he keeps at it for years to come.

Always called it how he saw it, never shows a bias. Congrats to him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Minihane Ends Enough About Me Podcast

I’m surprised he didn’t know he was being set up like a mother f***er

Kirk’s comment are certainly attention grabbers- move over Muhammad Ali

Not sure where he ends up - Barstool seems to make sense but that group I can’t see letting him accumulate power at their expense- often demeaning

When his last check is cashed WEEI would be wise to act as if he never existed and move on

The only other individual in Boston media I can think of that rivals Kirk is Andelman. Fenway I’m sure knows thousands more than I do but as a listener going back to the late 60’s in sports and music (Charles Laquedaria could also be in that group) I would put Andelman 1 and Minehane 2

His podcast had two of the three words correct, it should have been titled ‘All About Me’

He just did a video from CVS in Lexington and it is epic - forget GoT Battle of Winterfell, Bastards, Black water.

All I can say if Minehane has access to dragons the would be burning down every radio station owned by Enticom

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Minihane Ends Enough About Me Podcast

I’m surprised he didn’t know he was being set up like a mother ****er

Kirk’s comment are certainly attention grabbers- move over Muhammad Ali

Not sure where he ends up - Barstool seems to make sense but that group I can’t see letting him accumulate power at their expense- often demeaning

When his last check is cashed WEEI would be wise to act as if he never existed and move on

The only other individual in Boston media I can think of that rivals Kirk is Andelman. Fenway I’m sure knows thousands more than I do but as a listener going back to the late 60’s in sports and music (Charles Laquedaria could also be in that group) I would put Andelman 1 and Minehane 2

His podcast had two of the three words correct, it should have been titled ‘All About Me’

He just did a video from CVS in Lexington and it is epic - forget GoT Battle of Winterfell, Bastards, Black water.

All I can say if Minehane has access to dragons the would be burning down every radio station owned by Enticom
It has been quite the story. Brings a morning show to number 1 and they don’t want him

Is he that a big pain in the ass or is Entercom making more Mike Salk decisions?

I say both

Reactions: sarge88

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
It has been quite the story. Brings a morning show to number 1 and they don’t want him

Is he that a big pain in the ass or is Entercom making more Mike Salk decisions?

I say both
How about the guy is toxic and Entercom wants no part of him. What in that video would make you want to hire him? I'll be curious where he lands.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is a troubled man

Kirk Minihane @Minihane - WARNING LANGUAGE

I was told by a friend who has worked for WEEI since Papa Geno's owned it that a major Entercom sponsor not only in Boston but in NY, Philadelphia, Chicago and LA said they would pull all ads from Entercom stations if he returned. This is a contract worth millions.

Former WEEI/Boston Host Kirk Minihane Exits Entercom And Radio.com With Some Parting Shots

“We have mutually agreed to part ways with Kirk and allow him to pursue other opportunities,’’ Entercom said in a statement. “Over the years, Kirk has been a valuable member of the WEEI team, and a host of the ‘Enough About Me’ podcast.

“We wish him all the best on his future endeavors.”

Minihane predicted on his Periscope, which aired live while he was walking the aisles of a CVS in Lexington, that Entercom would wish him well in those future endeavors. The sentiment was not mutual.

“What’s next is whatever,’’ he said. “I don’t know what the next move is going to be but, but I’m just relieved. And I have nothing good to say about the place I was just at.”

He then explained his feelings in cruder language, criticizing past colleagues including co-host Gerry Callahan. Only Mike Mutnansky, who replaced Minihane on the morning show, was praised.

Kirk Minihane, Entercom officially part ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad