OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
All. Anytime a white person mocks the way a black person speaks, it’s pretty offensive, especially if they give a old timey Jim Crow era flair to it.

He was doing it this morning mimicking two black tv personalities, I believe one was Steve a smith and (possibly) Ray Lewis

Stephen A Smith deserves to be mocked at every opportunity. Not because of his race, but because he's a complete and total ass hat.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Stephen A Smith deserves to be mocked at every opportunity. Not because of his race, but because he's a complete and total ass hat.

He is an ass hat, but the Amos and Andy affectation is pretty reprehensible in this day and age. Wasn't Christian Fauria suspended out for his take on an Asian accent a while back? This should be no different.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
He is an ass hat, but the Amos and Andy affectation is pretty reprehensible in this day and age. Wasn't Christian Fauria suspended out for his take on an Asian accent a while back? This should be no different.

Totally, but we can do it without using a racially charged method. Same goes for Lewis who I find to be grating and a deplorable human being

Not saying any kind of racially charged impressions are ok at all.

Simply taking the opportunity to remind the world that Stephen A sucks at everything he has ever done in his life and is the worst. That's an opportunity that simply can't be passed up.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Totally, but we can do it without using a racially charged method. Same goes for Lewis who I find to be grating and a deplorable human being
I agree with you 100%.

With the Lewis stuff, I always got the impression that he was making fun of how over the top and hypocritical Lewis is.

I would also hope that if 98.5 felt that Fred was crossing the line racially that they would have addressed it right away.

I find both shticks annoying so I always turn the show off when he uses them

Reactions: KnightofBoston

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm dying for Felger to repeat what he said last night about Krejci. He said Krejci should have a hearing for the high stick post game

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
All. Anytime a white person mocks the way a black person speaks, it’s pretty offensive, especially if they give a old timey Jim Crow era flair to it.

He was doing it this morning mimicking two black tv personalities, I believe one was Steve a smith and (possibly) Ray Lewis

Okay, sorry I don't agree. Ray Lewis has a very distinct speech pattern that everyone imitates. I know Fred also does one of Brandon Meriweather, a long time guest and friend of the show, and he also makes fun of Matthew Slater for sounding like a dorky white guy. I don't see any problems with any of those.

Edit: Oooooh, Steven A. Smith. No, don't agree either, for the exact same reason I laugh at his Ray Lewis impression. He has a very distinct voice. If you think no white person should ever impersonate any person of color's voice that's fine, but I don't agree.

My favorite Fred impression is the one he does for Raiders own Mark Davis.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Okay, sorry I don't agree. Ray Lewis has a very distinct speech pattern that everyone imitates. I know Fred also does one of Brandon Meriweather, a long time guest and friend of the show, and he also makes fun of Matthew Slater for sounding like a dorky white guy. I don't see any problems with any of those.

Edit: Oooooh, Steven A. Smith. No, don't agree either, for the exact same reason I laugh at his Ray Lewis impression. He has a very distinct voice. If you think no white person should ever impersonate any person of color's voice that's fine, but I don't agree.

My favorite Fred impression is the one he does for Raiders own Mark Davis.

Well, this is a disappointing take from someone who I thought was pretty well read and intelligent

You should look into critical race theory and what systemic racism is. Then maybe spend more time with oppressed communities of color. Then decide if it’s ok to just brush off stuff like this. If you still feel that way I honestly don’t know what that says about you as a person.

I think you used to teach English right? A great poem to read; “you tell on yourself”

Making fun of a dorky white voice =\= making fun of how a black person speaks.

And it never will be

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Uhhh, not that I disagree with you, but Matthew Slater says hi!

nnf1xioavxzpuugbrfv0.jpg

Reactions: Alicat

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Reading up on critical race theory is important.

Isolated incidents aren’t systems of control. Jokes between friends aren’t systems of control.

Anyhooooo, not the thread for it and I don’t want to give the mods a hard time. Love you all, despite your flaws :naughty:

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Well, this is a disappointing take from someone who I thought was pretty well read and intelligent

You should look into critical race theory and what systemic racism is. Then maybe spend more time with oppressed communities of color. Then decide if it’s ok to just brush off stuff like this. If you still feel that way I honestly don’t know what that says about you as a person.

I think you used to teach English right? A great poem to read; “you tell on yourself”

And it never will be

Okay. Sorry you feel that way. I see a difference between doing an impression of a specific person versus doing a generic, insensitive impression of an entire race.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Okay. Sorry you feel that way. I see a difference between doing an impression of a specific person versus doing a generic, insensitive impression of an entire race.

True absolutely

But if Touch could do spot on impressions I’d eat my hat. His impressions end up being generic unfortunately

But then again I never would have thought that he was exactly a shining beacon of intersectional cultural proficiency. Most white folks aren’t. Hell, I was flat out overtly racist in my childhood because of my upbringing. Then I became a color blind racist. Then a lot had to be experienced and learned to go from that to where I am now.

But for realz ima shut up cus I don’t want to piss off our wonderful mods.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
True absolutely

But if Touch could do spot on impressions I’d eat my hat. His impressions end up being generic unfortunately

But then again I never would have thought that he was exactly a shining beacon of intersectional cultural proficiency. Most white folks aren’t. Hell, I was flat out overtly racist in my childhood because of my upbringing. Then I became a color blind racist. Then a lot had to be experienced and learned to go from that to where I am now.

But for realz ima shut up cus I don’t want to piss off our wonderful mods.

Cool, always fun to be insulted because we disagree on the quality of an impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad