OT: Official Sports Media Thread V - Tim Neverett will not return to the Red Sox radio broadcast team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Viewers in Boston, Providence, Springfield, Portland and Bangor were not affected by Heidi as NBC fed the Patriots game into the region instead of the Jets.

46496048_10216510725573359_2702408725611675648_n.jpg

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Viewers in Boston, Providence, Springfield, Portland and Bangor were not affected by Heidi as NBC fed the Patriots game into the region instead of the Jets.

As a kid this is how it worked in my house from October- December on Sunday.

At around 4 I would hit the couch in the family room/play room/TV room whatever you call it and watch the 4 o’clock West Coast game. I remember those teams so well - the Raiders were ass kicking with Darryl Lamonica throwing bombs to Warren Wells and short stuff to Fred Belitnikoff. They were good and dirty. The Chargers games were always played in glorious sunshine and John Hadl and Lance Alworth seemed to play catch the entire game. The 49ers had the great John Brodie but it was the Rams who were my favorite behind Roman Gabriel at QB and that Fearsome Foursome led by the great Deacon Jones & Merlin Olsen.

My father would be in his favorite chair and about half time he’d splash on the aqua velva and they would head off to the Bruins.

Back in the 1960 and 70’s every Sunday it seemed like they played at home.

I’d finish watching the NFL game and watch Wide World of Disney (Tinker Bell flying over Cinderella castle was so awesome it was on my bucket list before I ever had one) and Flipper and the Bruins.

The clicker was me getting off the couch and walking to the TV.

I always had a hockey stick and tennis ball going and a dog ready to help me improve on my stick handling - Brad Park had nothing on me.

That night the Bruins were playing the Oakland Seals (they won 6-3) and my folks were off leaving me and the dog to watch the rest of game, play floor hockey and eat ice cream doused in Hershey chocolate sauce

Well the game was nuts and Joe Namath who was an emerging icon brought the Jets back to take the lead and they went to commercial.

They never came back instead I get Shirley f***ing Temple

I had ran upstairs likely for ice cream or left over Halloween candy and was confused what the heck happened only to find out much later the ending was preempted

At least I was able to switch over and watch Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito beat those amazing Oakland Seals in those phenomenal uniforms with that great logo

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I could have sworn I remember Heidi breaking in,and I was watching from JP.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
They never came back instead I get Shirley ****ing Temple

It wasn't that Heidi. It was the network premiere of the made for TV 1968 version. Blake Edwards' daughter played the title role.

At least I was able to switch over and watch Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito beat those amazing Oakland Seals in those phenomenal uniforms with that great logo

Second only to the Canucks' Pierre Cardin specials on the all time great jerseys list.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@DKH Your memory of the Seals game is perfect.

NBC did NOT show the Jets game in parts of New England and the Midwest. NBC set up a second network circuit using their control room in Chicago for the Chiefs-Patriots game and they would not rejoin the main network until 7 PM.

Heidi became folklore and over time we all assumed we saw it in Boston but we didn't.

upload_2018-11-19_9-13-55.png

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
@DKH Your memory of the Seals game is perfect.

NBC did NOT show the Jets game in parts of New England and the Midwest. NBC set up a second network circuit using their control room in Chicago for the Chiefs-Patriots game and they would not rejoin the main network until 7 PM.

Heidi became folklore and over time we all assumed we saw it in Boston but we didn't.

View attachment 156037

There's a name for this - the Mandela effect.

False memory - Wikipedia

It's named after the misconception that many people held over the tragic death of Nelson Mandela in a South African prison in the 1980s - a death I know never happened, because I vividly remember him being released in the very late 80s/early 90s. Other common misconceptions include Sinbad starring in a movie called "Shazam" (he hosted a show on TV of "Sinbad the Sailor", and Shaq played "Kazaam"), and a misspelling of the Berenstain/Berenstein bears. Some folks think this is evidence of some weird alternate/parallel universe - me, I've always lived in the Mandela released/Shaq-genie universe, and I still have to look up how to spell Berenstain.

Reactions: sarge88

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
As a kid this is how it worked in my house from October- December on Sunday.

At around 4 I would hit the couch in the family room/play room/TV room whatever you call it and watch the 4 o’clock West Coast game. I remember those teams so well - the Raiders were ass kicking with Darryl Lamonica throwing bombs to Warren Wells and short stuff to Fred Belitnikoff. They were good and dirty. The Chargers games were always played in glorious sunshine and John Hadl and Lance Alworth seemed to play catch the entire game. The 49ers had the great John Brodie but it was the Rams who were my favorite behind Roman Gabriel at QB and that Fearsome Foursome led by the great Deacon Jones & Merlin Olsen.

My father would be in his favorite chair and about half time he’d splash on the aqua velva and they would head off to the Bruins.

Back in the 1960 and 70’s every Sunday it seemed like they played at home.

I’d finish watching the NFL game and watch Wide World of Disney (Tinker Bell flying over Cinderella castle was so awesome it was on my bucket list before I ever had one) and Flipper and the Bruins.

The clicker was me getting off the couch and walking to the TV.

I always had a hockey stick and tennis ball going and a dog ready to help me improve on my stick handling - Brad Park had nothing on me.

That night the Bruins were playing the Oakland Seals (they won 6-3) and my folks were off leaving me and the dog to watch the rest of game, play floor hockey and eat ice cream doused in Hershey chocolate sauce

Well the game was nuts and Joe Namath who was an emerging icon brought the Jets back to take the lead and they went to commercial.

They never came back instead I get Shirley ****ing Temple

I had ran upstairs likely for ice cream or left over Halloween candy and was confused what the heck happened only to find out much later the ending was preempted

All I got out of that was that Dan's Hershey's Syrup was in a can opened with a church key.
s-l300.jpg

Reactions: Chief Nine

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I’ve heard Gerry and Kirk talk about the difference btw journalists and columnists many times over the years. Why is this situation different?

I know this sounds “anti Kirk” and I dont mean it that way. There must be something I’m unaware of though. Why is this column judged as “journslism” when other columnists’ pieces are judged as “op-ed”?

Thanks to anyone who can explain the nuance.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I’ve heard Gerry and Kirk talk about the difference btw journalists and columnists many times over the years. Why is this situation different?

I know this sounds “anti Kirk” and I dont mean it that way. There must be something I’m unaware of though. Why is this column judged as “journslism” when other columnists’ pieces are judged as “op-ed”?

Thanks to anyone who can explain the nuance.
Even with an op-ed piece a writer doing it for a major news paper has to have some journalistic integrity which did not happen here at all. She did not reach out to him for a comment, left out the fact that the reason he was recently off the air was because of mental health issues and accused him of being a racist with out providing any example of him ever saying anything racist on the air.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Even with an op-ed piece a writer doing it for a major news paper has to have some journalistic integrity which did not happen here at all. She did not reach out to him for a comment, left out the fact that the reason he was recently off the air was because of mental health issues and accused him of being a racist with out providing any example of him ever saying anything racist on the air.

There's a lot of that in this country. I despise the guy,but calling him a racist is out of bounds,he's an equal opportunity a-hole.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Even with an op-ed piece a writer doing it for a major newspaper has to have some journalistic integrity which did not happen here at all. She did not reach out to him for a comment, left out the fact that the reason he was recently off the air was because of mental health issues and accused him of being a racist with out providing any example of him ever saying anything racist on the air.

THIS is why I can’t read newspapers anymore. It’s all opinions, and little journalism.

The two papers in this town always had a “slant,” but when that slant went from three degrees to 89 degrees, I had to move on. TV and internet news are slanted too, but they’re free at least. I haven’t paid for that garbage (a newspaper) in years.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
THIS is why I can’t read newspapers anymore. It’s all opinions, and little journalism.

The two papers in this town always had a “slant,” but when that slant went from three degrees to 89 degrees, I had to move on. TV and internet news are slanted too, but they’re free at least. I haven’t paid for that garbage (a newspaper) in years.

agree, i still check the news for the weather, stock market, and sports, but thats about it

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I get the globe on line - super cheap

Love it !!!!

99% sports & weather

Box scores are phenomenal

The only slant I get is Nick Cafado kissing Scott Boras ass

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There's a lot of that in this country. I despise the guy,but calling him a racist is out of bounds,he's an equal opportunity a-hole.
Bang on

No way I’ve ever thought Kirk’s a racist

He’s taking the Stern model and been very successful

Shirley Leung has actually thrown him a batting practice fastball keeping him in the news and allowing him to do his schtick

If you ask Kirk privately and are guaranteed the correct answer if he would rather the article was written or not he’s soooo happy she wrote it

This was gold for him

Reactions: KrejciMVP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: