OT: Official Sports Media Thread V - Tim Neverett will not return to the Red Sox radio broadcast team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Journalism (or what's left of it) is a total disgrace. It's nothing more than grandstanding clowns looking to either make others look bad or get someone fired. There are no more news reporters, what's left now is agenda driven posturing on every "side" or whatever it's supposed to be now. It's disgusting what passes for news reporting

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Personally,I only listened to D&C til Minihane the fraud came along,then I listened to nothing for years. I contacted Entercom twice about that POS and they responded like I expected-ratings.
I can understand "I don't like that guy on the radio, and I'm not going to listen to him."

I don't understand "I don't like that guy on the radio, and I'm not going to listen to him, and I'm going to try to make sure no one else can listen to him, either."

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Why not? You liked that fake reality show that was on. The nonesense they bright all the time. Barely talked sports. Give me a break. Anything is better than what Minihane became and was allowed to become. Bring back Dino. Totally professional compared to what replaced him.

"Professionalism," "barely talked sports," hmm, where have I heard these complaints before?

I'd be curious to poll people here about which sports radio show on either station they absolutely love. That they can't wait to tune into. Of the six day time shows on either station is there one that you think brings real value to you on a daily basis?

I'm going out on a limb here and gonna guess no. My opinion is that an annoying, frustrating, or hateful personality combined with a more stable personality can draw people in far more than two or three pros dutifully going back and forth about the Patriots' secondary. People get upset by that, I get it.

Each of these shows is formulaic and is as much about acting as a vehicle to drive radio ads as it is offering any substantial sports takes. Kirk stirred things up in a way that was more interesting than anything else happening in Boston radio. He might be a shit human being for all I know, but it was a fresher kind of listening experience, while it lasted.

Reactions: BruinsFan1990

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Journalism (or what's left of it) is a total disgrace. It's nothing more than grandstanding clowns looking to either make others look bad or get someone fired. There are no more news reporters, what's left now is agenda driven posturing on every "side" or whatever it's supposed to be now. It's disgusting what passes for news reporting
I agree,there is always an agenda or a bias.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
What a shame to have a misogynistic dickhole leave the station. The worst part about WEEI for me is there is so much station drama THAT MAKES IT TO AIR. I typically only listen to mid-days because I am a Rich Keefe fanboy, but it feels like even in the limited time that I listen to the station they are discussing drama. Yesterday I'm in the car and put on the afternoon drive show and immediately hear Fauria talking about Minihane. C'mon guys just talk about sports or something, not your dumb petty feuds with each other. When Gresh or Keefe left the Sports Hub I didn't hear them constantly talking about them.

Mutt is unoffensive but extremely boring. There's a reason he got bumped to nights. I don't think he will do well in the mornings.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
"Professionalism," "barely talked sports," hmm, where have I heard these complaints before?

I'd be curious to poll people here about which sports radio show on either station they absolutely love. That they can't wait to tune into. Of the six day time shows on either station is there one that you think brings real value to you on a daily basis?

I'm going out on a limb here and gonna guess no. My opinion is that an annoying, frustrating, or hateful personality combined with a more stable personality can draw people in far more than two or three pros dutifully going back and forth about the Patriots' secondary. People get upset by that, I get it.

Each of these shows is formulaic and is as much about acting as a vehicle to drive radio ads as it is offering any substantial sports takes. Kirk stirred things up in a way that was more interesting than anything else happening in Boston radio. He might be a **** human being for all I know, but it was a fresher kind of listening experience, while it lasted.

The problem is simply one of volume.

There is just too much time for every segment to be of good quality.

Like him or hate him, when Merloni is focused on talking about the intricacies of baseball (pitchers setting up hitters ....hitters adjusting to what the pitcher is doing, etc.) it can be very interesting if that is something you're in to. Similarly, Fauria can provide analysis that most of us can learn from about football...again when focused.

Like I'm doing right now....instead of focusing on the pile of work on my desk, I'm distracted by this site and posting here, which is the equivalent of these hosts getting side-tracked by the "news of the day", instead of just focusing on the actual X's and O's, transactions, personalities, etc. of sports.

I will say that some of the best radio I've ever heard was years ago when Mut and Merloni in particular were very, very focused on the Sandusky situation. They had some excellent guests on over the course of several weeks and were able to provide some very compelling hours of programming.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Entercom made the right call with Kirk Minihane - The Boston Globe

leung.png
By Shirley Leung GLOBE STAFF NOVEMBER 15, 2018

It must have been a difficult decision for the honchos at Entercom Communications to take one of its biggest stars, Kirk Minihane, off one of its most prominent radio stations. But it’s the right call.

During his five years on WEEI, Minihane — who acts like a Howard Stern for sports radio — has been suspended or abruptly went on vacation several times after making rude or otherwise unacceptable comments. Most egregious in my book was in 2014, when he called Fox Sports sideline reporter Erin Andrews a “gutless *****” for the way she handled an interview during baseball’s All-Star Game. More on that later.
Minihane isn’t going very far; in fact, he remains in the Entercom family. He’s leaving his top-rated sports radio morning show, which he never really wanted to be about sports, to launch a radio show, podcast, and column on Radio.com, a digital platform also owned by Entercom.

It’s a risky move all around — for Minihane, WEEI, and Entercom — but listeners and advertisers who are tired of the vile commentary will thank the broadcasting behemoth for cleaning up the airwaves. “Kirk & Callahan” will become “Mut & Callahan,” with Minihane’s cohost, Gerry Callahan, staying on the morning show with Mike Mutnansky, who has frequently been the third voice on the program.

I dont find this has a blatant agenda. Really she is just calling balls and strikes on past events

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
The problem is simply one of volume.

There is just too much time for every segment to be of good quality.

Like him or hate him, when Merloni is focused on talking about the intricacies of baseball (pitchers setting up hitters ....hitters adjusting to what the pitcher is doing, etc.) it can be very interesting if that is something you're in to. Similarly, Fauria can provide analysis that most of us can learn from about football...again when focused.

Like I'm doing right now....instead of focusing on the pile of work on my desk, I'm distracted by this site and posting here, which is the equivalent of these hosts getting side-tracked by the "news of the day", instead of just focusing on the actual X's and O's, transactions, personalities, etc. of sports.

I will say that some of the best radio I've ever heard was years ago when Mut and Merloni in particular were very, very focused on the Sandusky situation. They had some excellent guests on over the course of several weeks and were able to provide some very compelling hours of programming.

Yeah, I agree. Merloni is probably the best that station has right now. And, overall, the afternoon show has the best mix of dealing with subject matters sports and non-sports related.

I'll keep an open mind with Mutt. He's a pony with one incredibly boring trick. But who knows, maybe Callahan will teach him how to think and be creative on the fly. Thanks for the convo, Sarge.

Reactions: sarge88

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What time is Bob Lobel on?

Lobel after he left WBZ was a puddle. His body was so shot that he was on all kinds of crazy meds and it left him debilitated with a very poor quality of life. He ended up becoming a huge advocate for the legalization of medical marijuana and testified at the state house for it.

Very interesting story to hear regardless of where you fall on that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad