OT: Official Sports Media Thread V - Tim Neverett will not return to the Red Sox radio broadcast team

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
My youth included a steady diet of Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County
LOVED Calvin & Hobbes when I was a kid, and was so bummed when it ended. I had so many of those collection books.

Calvin & Hobbes was/is still great because I remember it appealing to me as a kid because I could completely identify with Calvin. I sort of looked like him, my parents looked like his parents, only child, rambunctious, etc and just reading them sometimes made it seem like the actual strips were about my life (minus the stuffed animal/imaginary friend).

But re-reading them occasionally as an adult, there was such a deeper meaning that was lost on kids. And that is the mark of great writing.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
LOVED Calvin & Hobbes when I was a kid, and was so bummed when it ended. I had so many of those collection books.

Calvin & Hobbes was/is still great because I remember it appealing to me as a kid because I could completely identify with Calvin. I sort of looked like him, my parents looked like his parents, only child, rambunctious, etc and just reading them sometimes made it seem like the actual strips were about my life (minus the stuffed animal/imaginary friend).

But re-reading them occasionally as an adult, there was such a deeper meaning that was lost on kids. And that is the mark of great writing.

I bought a bunch of the book collections for my daughter last Christmas. She loves them.

Reactions: DKH

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Even with an op-ed piece a writer doing it for a major news paper has to have some journalistic integrity which did not happen here at all. She did not reach out to him for a comment, left out the fact that the reason he was recently off the air was because of mental health issues and accused him of being a racist with out providing any example of him ever saying anything racist on the air.
Thanx.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Keefe & Hart have good chemistry

Guys I like as well

Tom Curran
Michael Hurley
Bradford is good and a good guy

They should have Shawn McAdam on baseball and

Mannis is excellent on basketball

Hockey - Ty Anderson

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I never thought I would see the day that Dave Hodge would be on the set of HNIC again. I know it is different management now but he went out in style.

Dave from all accounts was fired instantly by the CBC and it took a week and a half to do the paperwork. Ron MacLean would take his place.

This was his swan song

In 1989 he gave his version of what happened.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I never thought I would see the day that Dave Hodge would be on the set of HNIC again. I know it is different management now but he went out in style.

Dave from all accounts was fired instantly by the CBC and it took a week and a half to do the paperwork. Ron MacLean would take his place.

This was his swan song

In 1989 he gave his version of what happened.

Watched the first clip, and shall check the next two.

I remember Dave Hodge from the 1970s, viewing Windsor's channel 9/CBC. Hockey Night in Canada, with its fab theme & yes, those jackets. This was when the Leafs were terrible (and so were the Wings; I lived in the Detroit area).

Glad he seems well. Thanks Fens,

GH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In a hotel room in Toronto that has the Boston stations for US networks and have to watch this clown talk hockey

upload_2018-11-26_0-26-55.png

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Troy Brown on Toucher and Rich is really becoming my favorite post game analysis. He's so funny and insightful about the behind the scenes stuff. I was skeptical at first because Brandon Meriweather was hilarious, but Brown is just so good.

Reactions: EverettMike

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Troy Brown on Toucher and Rich is really becoming my favorite post game analysis. He's so funny and insightful about the behind the scenes stuff. I was skeptical at first because Brandon Meriweather was hilarious, but Brown is just so good.

Big Bang was fun once a month. I love hearing Troy every week.

Reactions: LSCII

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Keefe & Hart have good chemistry

Guys I like as well

Tom Curran
Michael Hurley
Bradford is good and a good guy

They should have Shawn McAdam on baseball and

Mannis is excellent on basketball

Hockey - Ty Anderson

Quite interesting not having WEEI in Canada anymore. You almost forget Boston even has sports media and all drama that comes with it. Different world

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Boston Bruins history was made on Dec. 1, 1924, and a radio legend was born - The Boston Globe

On Dec. 1, 1924, the Boston Bruins played their very first game in the National Hockey League, and Boston Traveler sportswriter Frank Ryan gave the play-the-play for the radio broadcast.

Ryan’s wife, Madeleine, went to his parents’ house that night to listen to the game. She used a crystal radio receiver with earphones to hear Ryan make his debut as the voice of the Boston Bruins.

It was Monday night, and the Bruins were playing at the Boston Arena, the team’s home rink on St. Botolph Street. (The Boston Garden had not been built yet.) The inaugural game failed to draw a large crowd — according to one estimate, only 1,340 people showed up — but thanks to the WBZ radio broadcast, many more hockey fans got to hear Ryan’s voice over the airwaves describing the body checks and scuffles on the ice that night, as well as the pair of goals that propelled the B’s to their first-ever NHL victory, beating the Montreal Maroons by a score of 2 to 1.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Boston Bruins history was made on Dec. 1, 1924, and a radio legend was born - The Boston Globe

On Dec. 1, 1924, the Boston Bruins played their very first game in the National Hockey League, and Boston Traveler sportswriter Frank Ryan gave the play-the-play for the radio broadcast.

Ryan’s wife, Madeleine, went to his parents’ house that night to listen to the game. She used a crystal radio receiver with earphones to hear Ryan make his debut as the voice of the Boston Bruins.

It was Monday night, and the Bruins were playing at the Boston Arena, the team’s home rink on St. Botolph Street. (The Boston Garden had not been built yet.) The inaugural game failed to draw a large crowd — according to one estimate, only 1,340 people showed up — but thanks to the WBZ radio broadcast, many more hockey fans got to hear Ryan’s voice over the airwaves describing the body checks and scuffles on the ice that night, as well as the pair of goals that propelled the B’s to their first-ever NHL victory, beating the Montreal Maroons by a score of 2 to 1.

f*** the Habs . . . errr . . . Maroons!!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
When is the local hockey show on? I thought it was on Sundays on 98.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad