OT: Official Sports Media Thread V - Tim Neverett will not return to the Red Sox radio broadcast team

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Felger railing against the B's today over the Zboril/Senyshyn picks instead of Chabot, Connor, or Barzal. Clearly lifting content right from this site...lol

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Felger railing against the B's today over the Zboril/Senyshyn picks instead of Chabot, Connor, or Barzal. Clearly lifting content right from this site...lol

Or from Haggs, who addressed this today.

It's easy to say -- and I may eat my hat hereafter -- but I was never crazy about the ZS or, especially, the JZ selections. I don't believe either will pan out.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH

It's easy to say -- and I may eat my hat hereafter -- but I was never crazy about the ZS or, especially, the JZ selections. I don't believe either will pan out.

Not gonna lie I liked the Zboril pick at the time, questioned the Debrusk pick (eating my words now) and flat out hated the Senyshyn pick, literally stared at my TV in disbelief and just went "are you f-ing kidding me?!?" laughed, and went to bed when they announced Senyshyn lol

Reactions: Fenian24

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

The follow up to Haggs on this is does he have any evidence of writing this in the past.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Not gonna lie I liked the Zboril pick at the time, questioned the Debrusk pick (eating my words now) and flat out hated the Senyshyn pick, literally stared at my TV in disbelief and just went "are you f-ing kidding me?!?" laughed, and went to bed when they announced Senyshyn lol

Zboril's "compete" was questioned at the draft. Senyshyn seems to be a whiff. No expert.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
ESPN returns 'SportsCenter' to its roots: 'I think we miscalculated a little bit'

Keith Olbermann was counting down a series of top plays when he arrived at a block by Duke star Zion Williamson. "He puts a 21-49 down!" Olbermann announced as a slow motion replay zoomed in on the thunderous rejection.

That was an inside joke, one only the most connected of ESPN insiders would understand. Olbermann was referencing the phone extension of a man without any name recognition outside Bristol, but one who has been tasked with reviving the network's signature program, in part by drawing on his nearly four decades at the "worldwide leader in sports."

“I've had the same extension since I got here,” Norby Williamson said.

Williamson, 55, is something of a mythical figure at ESPN, a central Connecticut native who started in the mailroom in the 1980s and became the first producer of the 11 p.m. "SportsCenter." That show, hosted by Olbermann and Dan Patrick, helped turn ESPN and its signature highlights program into cultural icons in the 1990s.

By last year, the show was suffering from slumping ratings as the company fought against the business climate of cord-cutting and the divisive politics of the Trump era. Enter Williamson, who was named ESPN's executive vice president of studio production in November 2017, placing him in charge of "SportsCenter." His strategy: Return the show to its roots as a hub of news and highlights.

In a year on the job, Williamson has overseen the end of the personality-driven 6 p.m. “SportsCenter” that starred Jemele Hill and Michael Smith. (Hill called Trump a white supremacist last year and recently left ESPN.) Meanwhile, 7 a.m. and noon editions of "SportsCenter" were added to the daily schedule this fall.

“I think we miscalculated a little bit," Williamson said. "The perception became that you could just roll a talent out there and it doesn't matter what he or she is saying — that the content didn't matter. I just never believed that.”

All told, ESPN looks more like it used to during its heyday — less debate, more news and highlights. Even the faces are familiar: Past stars like Olbermann and Chris Berman are on the air more often under Williamson's watch. And so far, executives are pleased with the returns. At a recent meeting, some two dozen employees viewed a presentation that announced the 6 p.m. show has had eight straight months of growth, while the Monday editions of the new 7 a.m. (up 6 percent vs. last year) and noon (up 10 percent) installments of the show have shined during football season.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Both sports stations are extremely healthy right now

upload_2018-12-6_14-2-5.png

upload_2018-12-6_14-3-25.png
\

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
ESPN returns 'SportsCenter' to its roots: 'I think we miscalculated a little bit'

Keith Olbermann was counting down a series of top plays when he arrived at a block by Duke star Zion Williamson. "He puts a 21-49 down!" Olbermann announced as a slow motion replay zoomed in on the thunderous rejection.

That was an inside joke, one only the most connected of ESPN insiders would understand. Olbermann was referencing the phone extension of a man without any name recognition outside Bristol, but one who has been tasked with reviving the network's signature program, in part by drawing on his nearly four decades at the "worldwide leader in sports."

“I've had the same extension since I got here,” Norby Williamson said.

Williamson, 55, is something of a mythical figure at ESPN, a central Connecticut native who started in the mailroom in the 1980s and became the first producer of the 11 p.m. "SportsCenter." That show, hosted by Olbermann and Dan Patrick, helped turn ESPN and its signature highlights program into cultural icons in the 1990s.

By last year, the show was suffering from slumping ratings as the company fought against the business climate of cord-cutting and the divisive politics of the Trump era. Enter Williamson, who was named ESPN's executive vice president of studio production in November 2017, placing him in charge of "SportsCenter." His strategy: Return the show to its roots as a hub of news and highlights.

In a year on the job, Williamson has overseen the end of the personality-driven 6 p.m. “SportsCenter” that starred Jemele Hill and Michael Smith. (Hill called Trump a white supremacist last year and recently left ESPN.) Meanwhile, 7 a.m. and noon editions of "SportsCenter" were added to the daily schedule this fall.

“I think we miscalculated a little bit," Williamson said. "The perception became that you could just roll a talent out there and it doesn't matter what he or she is saying — that the content didn't matter. I just never believed that.”

All told, ESPN looks more like it used to during its heyday — less debate, more news and highlights. Even the faces are familiar: Past stars like Olbermann and Chris Berman are on the air more often under Williamson's watch. And so far, executives are pleased with the returns. At a recent meeting, some two dozen employees viewed a presentation that announced the 6 p.m. show has had eight straight months of growth, while the Monday editions of the new 7 a.m. (up 6 percent vs. last year) and noon (up 10 percent) installments of the show have shined during football season.
ESPN put so much money into their headquarters in New England and very few shows broadcast there anymore most are filmed in NY and LA

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I was fine with Zboril pick as well. Connor was always my favorite player from that draft that we could realistically draft, as I thought he was one of the 5-6 safest picks and had huge upside. Heading into the night the 3 guys I wanted to draft were Connor, Zboril, and Konecny, and once Barzal slipped, I was hoping we'd select him (over Konecny) and take a chance on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad