OT: Official Sports Media Thread V - Tim Neverett will not return to the Red Sox radio broadcast team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Where are they moving?

Wouldn't mind if the TV station cleared out of the old Ground Round and that would go back to being a restaurant again I used to love going there as a kid.

Wellington Circle in Medford ( Kiss 108 studios )

Channel 68 is in old Ground Round which had its liquor license revoked after serving a WBZ news anchor too much and he got busted. He resigned at Channel 4 but he redeemed himself first at Channel 7 and now at Channel 5. He has been sober for 23 years.

He was not happy when Channel 7 started to use automation to produce the news warning this would happen some night,

allston3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Ground ROund was the absolute best when I was a kid. Free popcorn, cartoons in the dining room, ice cream in baseball hats, and a clown that made you balloon animals. It's just disappointing there isn't one to take my kids to. I guess there are a few GRs out there but they don't have all the fun stuff anymore.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The man who asks the tough questions at Fenway? It’s WBZ’s Jonny Miller - The Boston Globe

If you follow the Red Sox, you’ve heard the voice of the man who’s always asking the tough questions.

The man’s name is Jonny Miller and he is a Boston sports media institution, a Red Sox historian, a philanthropist, soon to be a septuagenarian, and probably the hardest-working guy in our business.

Jonny was in the news a little this past week. He had an interesting back-and-forth with David Price in which the petulant pitcher refused to disclose adjustments he’d made, playfully telling Jonny, “I’m not gonna do your job for you . . . you can go back and watch film.’’ A day later, Jonny was back at Price’s locker, armed with homework he’d done to identify Price’s adjustments. Two days later, Jonny stopped by the WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon and donated $25,000 in the names of his late mentors, Gil Santos and Clark Booth. On Wednesday, when the Red Sox 2019 schedule came out, Jonny booked all of his hotels and flights for next season.

All in a week’s work for Jonny Miller.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The Ground ROund was the absolute best when I was a kid. Free popcorn, cartoons in the dining room, ice cream in baseball hats, and a clown that made you balloon animals. It's just disappointing there isn't one to take my kids to. I guess there are a few GRs out there but they don't have all the fun stuff anymore.

The excitement of which team you were going to get a baseball hat of was the best part. Only to be disappointed when it was another friggen Orioles or Blue Jays hat of course (they didn't give out all the teams.)

Removing the popcorn for health code reasons was the beginning of the end. All the existing Howard Johnsons turning into Ground Rounds didn't help either.

The one on Storrow was my favorite but after it closed the best one was the one right off 95 in Pawtucket/Providence by the Apex site.

Hope Friendly's survives and doesn't bite the dust.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Try The Magic Pan. Or Newbury Steakhouse? (Get a time machine first.)

Reactions: Fenway

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That show can degrade so quickly. Fauria vs. Ordway is such an ugly unappealing battle. The beginning of that show today was ****ing annoying. They were immediately screaming at each other about being wimps and accusing each other of lying about inane ****. It was notable that within the first five minutes, I shut it off.
Fauria thinks he’s a star and that is dangerous if you are WEEI - he’s a West Coast football guy who hates hockey and isn’t much of a baseball fan and his team is the Dodgers - they joked he wore an LA hat in.

Ordway already got slammed by Felger and he has legions of haters - I’m not one but it’s probably a sentimental thing remembering him with a tape recorder at old Lynn Arena interviewing high school hockey players in the lobby after our games

They are going to get crushed 2:1 is my guess

Reactions: Si Hopkins

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
In keeping with the Off-topic trend, I think 99 is way better than GR. You can get the All-Star burger which is the official burger of the Red Sox, they bring you popcorn, when the Sox win kids under 12 eat free and the place is loaded with Bruins, Pats and Sox pictures and memorabilia.

Reactions: Fenway

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Fauria thinks he’s a star and that is dangerous if you are WEEI - he’s a West Coast football guy who hates hockey and isn’t much of a baseball fan and his team is the Dodgers - they joked he wore an LA hat in.

Ordway already got slammed by Felger and he has legions of haters - I’m not one but it’s probably a sentimental thing remembering him with a tape recorder at old Lynn Arena interviewing high school hockey players in the lobby after our games

They are going to get crushed 2:1 is my guess
The irony of Felger and Mazz that made a great living on the Big Show doing the same thing as Fauria all those years destroying and belittling Hockey

Reactions: sarge88

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
In keeping with the Off-topic trend, I think 99 is way better than GR. You can get the All-Star burger which is the official burger of the Red Sox, they bring you popcorn, when the Sox win kids under 12 eat free and the place is loaded with Bruins, Pats and Sox pictures and memorabilia.

I like the 99 was the closest bar and restaurant to where my mom used to live when I lived at home for a couple years. Liked the 2 dollar bud selects and getting takeout. Might not be a bad idea to hit up the one in Revere tomorrow haven't been in a couple years.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The irony of Felger and Mazz that made a great living on the Big Show doing the same thing as Fauria all those years destroying and belittling Hockey

The sound of Mazz’s voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me....hated him on the big show.

Felger was kind of entertaining because he was always getting ragged on for the dumb things he said.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
The excitement of which team you were going to get a baseball hat of was the best part. Only to be disappointed when it was another friggen Orioles or Blue Jays hat of course (they didn't give out all the teams.)

Removing the popcorn for health code reasons was the beginning of the end. All the existing Howard Johnsons turning into Ground Rounds didn't help either.

The one on Storrow was my favorite but after it closed the best one was the one right off 95 in Pawtucket/Providence by the Apex site.

Hope Friendly's survives and doesn't bite the dust.
Got to meet Nifty Middleton there around '83 or '84.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Good for Tom, I can't stand these hack journalists who won't take no for an answer and think that they'll change the guy's mind if they just keep asking about the thing he said he didn't want to talk about.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:help:

Shirley Leung, a Boston Globe columnist who has explored topics ranging from business and politics to gender issues in the workplace, will become interim editorial page editor, replacing Ellen Clegg, who retired last week, the newspaper announced Monday.

In a note to staff, Linda Pizzuti Henry, the Globe’s managing director, said Leung would serve as the leader of the editorial board for the next six months, beginning Aug. 27.

“Shirley has been a bold voice in Boston, writing an impactful, must-read, often counterintuitive column in our business section for the past five years,” Henry wrote, adding that while she was reluctant to lose Leung’s column in the news pages, “I could not be more excited about this new role for her.”
Henry indicated that Leung would serve in the role while the newspaper searches for a permanent editorial page editor.

“Because we are at such a critical juncture, we want to make certain that we take our time to think strategically about the board, who the next permanent leader will be, and how it will be organized,” she wrote. “To accomplish that, we need the strength of a courageous thinker, someone who knows both the newsroom and the world of opinion well, and who knows how to challenge assumptions.”

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tom Brady ends K&C interview following questions about Alex Guerrero

Brady was asked about Guerrero flying with the team, and he confirmed it did in fact happen.

“Yeah, we was with me this past week. Yeah," he said.

The quarterback was then asked a few follow-ups on the subject, which led to him ultimately hanging up and ending the interview.

Here's how the exchange went.
Kirk Minihane: What changed in him not being on the team plane last year and this year? Was that just communication back and forth, or was that an understanding of other things? What led that to being able to happen this year?
Brady: “Yeah, I am not getting into all that.”

Minihane: OK, when I ran into him at the Super Bowl last year in Minneapolis, I remember talking to him at the time — when I talked to him there, he had said in his opinion that all this stuff had been overblown, and he and [Bill] Belichick had a pretty good relationship even then. Would you say that is true?
Brady: “I said I don’t want to get into it. … Everyone knows, it is well-documented the work he and I do together.”

Minihane: "I understand that. I am just trying to figure out because I saw the reports this weekend that he’s traveling with the team. Was he on the sideline Friday?"
Brady: “Yeah. All right, guys. Have a great day. I’ll talk to you later.”

Reactions: smithformeragent

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
And Brady hangs up on minihane again. Good job Brady

And I have no doubt they spent the rest of their show talking about Brady hanging up on them. All about themselves. Minihane is so narcissistic sometimes. The other times, he apparently doesn't like himself that much. Strange dude. Unlistenable radio.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I really hate having to defend a scumbag like Minihane, but there was nothing wrong with those questions. (If you want to say pissing off your weekly big name interview is dumb that's fair and probably right, I am just speaking in terms of asking them in a vacuum outside of business considerations.)

Brady made Guerrero a major focus of his own TV show, his book, and his entire business. And any time someone asks him about it he acts like a f***ing baby. If he doesn't want to be asked about Alex Guerrero stop telling us how important he is.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
:help:

Shirley Leung, a Boston Globe columnist who has explored topics ranging from business and politics to gender issues in the workplace, will become interim editorial page editor, replacing Ellen Clegg, who retired last week, the newspaper announced Monday.

In a note to staff, Linda Pizzuti Henry, the Globe’s managing director, said Leung would serve as the leader of the editorial board for the next six months, beginning Aug. 27.

“Shirley has been a bold voice in Boston, writing an impactful, must-read, often counterintuitive column in our business section for the past five years,” Henry wrote, adding that while she was reluctant to lose Leung’s column in the news pages, “I could not be more excited about this new role for her.”
Henry indicated that Leung would serve in the role while the newspaper searches for a permanent editorial page editor.

“Because we are at such a critical juncture, we want to make certain that we take our time to think strategically about the board, who the next permanent leader will be, and how it will be organized,” she wrote. “To accomplish that, we need the strength of a courageous thinker, someone who knows both the newsroom and the world of opinion well, and who knows how to challenge assumptions.”
Editorial meeting:

Shirley - Write about how Boston deserves the Olympics!
Writers - But it doesn't
Shirley - WRITE ABOUT EXISTING STADIUMS AND SPORTS CULTURE
Writers - But there would need to be massive infrastructural improvements and the T can't handle the congestion
Shirley - MAKE YOUR ARTICLE AVOUT HOW THE OLYMPICS WOULD BRING GREST PRESTIGE AND RICHES TO BOSTON
Writers - It would bankrupt the city for decades, here are the actual economic studies that prove it's unfeasible
Shirley - YOU PEOPLE JUST WOULDN'T GIVE IT A CHANCE, BOSTON DESERVES BETTER FROM ITS POLITICIANS

Reactions: 08SeaBass08
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad