OT: Official Sports Media Thread V - Tim Neverett will not return to the Red Sox radio broadcast team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Apologies if this is slightly OT, but now I'm feeling nostalgic. I remember Brent Musburger and Jimmy the Greek Snyder on the CBS Sunday football pre-show. George Michael and the Sports Machine. Howard Cosell on MNF. The fantastic old school NFL theme music. Redskins Sidelines with Sonny Jurgensen and probably my favorite sportscaster ever, the late Glenn Brenner.

Someone should bring back his "Weenie of the Week" award. :laugh:

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Apologies if this is slightly OT, but now I'm feeling nostalgic. I remember Brent Musburger and Jimmy the Greek Snyder on the CBS Sunday football pre-show. George Michael and the Sports Machine. Howard Cosell on MNF. The fantastic old school NFL theme music. Redskins Sidelines with Sonny Jurgensen and probably my favorite sportscaster ever, the late Glenn Brenner.

Someone should bring back his "Weenie of the Week" award. :laugh:

Some of these names are familiar.

George Michael's Sports Machine was pretty awful (to me), and used to run against Sports Final. Musburger, the Greek, and John Madden/Pat Summerall -- that stuff was great in the early 80s. Cowboys v. Redskins. I never got too excited about this, just enjoyed it as wallpaper.

Seldom view NFL games anymore, in part because of disgust toward the owners, concussions, CTE, etc.

Fun for awhile.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Some of these names are familiar.

George Michael's Sports Machine was pretty awful (to me), and used to run against Sports Final. Musburger, the Greek, and John Madden/Pat Summerall -- that stuff was great in the early 80s. Cowboys v. Redskins. I never got too excited about this, just enjoyed it as wallpaper.

Seldom view NFL games anymore, in part because of disgust toward the owners, concussions, CTE, etc.

Fun for awhile.
I agree, the sports machine was bad, but it's a childhood memory. :laugh: I'm no fan of the NFL now, but in the 80s I greatly enjoyed it. Redskins and Cowboys, Gibbs vs. Landry. I was a huge Redskins fan but secretly liked Danny White. :help:

Those were the days.

Then I came to my senses and got into hockey. :scared:

Reactions: GordonHowe

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Topic du jour as it relates to the Bruins is that the Celtics passed them on the annual fan popularity survey.

Being discussed now on Felger and Mazz.

Zolak & Bertrand: How Do Fans View the Patriots? Plus, The First Read & React Of 2018 (Hour 1)

They do this same show every year. It's very interesting, but pretty consistent. The Celts are a team on the way up. They were one of the best teams in the entire league all of last year, and should be even better this season. Same can be said for the Bruins, but hockey isn't nearly as universally popular as basketball.

Reactions: sarge88

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I also found out they did that survey in August, so it makes sense the Celts would pass the Bruins given how the playoffs went. B's lost to Tampa in a bad fashion, while the undermanned Celts lost in the Atlantic Conference finals to the Lebron Cavs. If Kyrie and Heyward were there, they walk through the Cavs, no question.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
A percentage of Bruins fans at least in my generation have always had an inferiority complex about the Celtics. They're not in direct competition most of the time and it's possible to be a fan of both.

I'm way more of a hockey guy than a basketball one, but I'll watch and support the C's in the big regular season matchups and the playoffs.

I don't think anyone should blame the casual fans for feeling more positive about the Celtics. They have a super young team with an incredible coach that made the conference finals two years in a row and was missing their two best players this previous season (while the best player in the league who was blocking them from reaching the finals both years just went out of conference to LA). Things look absolutely bright for them. The Bruins had a great year and have a lot of top-end talent. They could compete with the Tampas, Torontos, Washingtons, and Pittsburghs in the east. But they're not as clear cut favorites as the Celtics.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
WBZ Radio’s Jonny Miller wrote a check for $25,000 to the Jimmy Fund

0926_johnny-miller3-e1411749762753-1-e1411850521499.jpg

Reactions: sarge88 and BMC

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
A percentage of Bruins fans at least in my generation have always had an inferiority complex about the Celtics. They're not in direct competition most of the time and it's possible to be a fan of both.

I'm way more of a hockey guy than a basketball one, but I'll watch and support the C's in the big regular season matchups and the playoffs.

I don't think anyone should blame the casual fans for feeling more positive about the Celtics. They have a super young team with an incredible coach that made the conference finals two years in a row and was missing their two best players this previous season (while the best player in the league who was blocking them from reaching the finals both years just went out of conference to LA). Things look absolutely bright for them. The Bruins had a great year and have a lot of top-end talent. They could compete with the Tampas, Torontos, Washingtons, and Pittsburghs in the east. But they're not as clear cut favorites as the Celtics.
Celtics have always had devoted fans like Bruins. These things change. We’re in the hip hop stage. Doesn’t surprise the young kids like the Celtics.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
WBZ-AM was screwed over in the CBS/Entercom merger as iHeart Radio wound up with them and started making cuts.

I grew up listening to WBZ, mom had it on all the time. Dave Maynard, Larry Justice, Guy Manilla, Gil Santos, Larry Glick @ midnight, Don Kent with the weather, Joe Green with the traffic reports. *Sigh* :wally:

Reactions: sooshii and sarge88

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I grew up listening to WBZ, mom had it on all the time. Dave Maynard, Larry Justice, Guy Manilla, Gil Santos, Larry Glick @ midnight, Don Kent with the weather, Joe Green with the traffic reports. *Sigh* :wally:
e

It has been a tough few months for them as Rod Fritz was shown the door with no warning and then Lana Jones died suddenly covering Gil Santos wake.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I loved listening to Steve Lavelle overnight. He would have Mel Simons on to do audio trivia quiz every month or so was outstanding.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Remember Maynard in the morning from downtown crossing during Christmastime.

I once had a Glick University T Shirt too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad