OT: Official Sports Media Thread V - Tim Neverett will not return to the Red Sox radio broadcast team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2018-8-24_0-8-29.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thank you for clarifying, Fens. This development was really sad, because LJ was so much a part of BZ.

I knew Lana going back to when she worked at WAAF. She met her husband there and they decided Worcester would be home.

When I first relocated to Chicago in the early 80's, WBZ-AM was my way of staying connected to the area. At night WBZ can be heard in Chicago as clearly as the local stations because of an engineering quirk that gave the station the strongest signal on the east coast. Most AM stations have directional signals at night to protect other stations but WBZ was a clear channel that went directional by choice as there was no need to send 50,000 watts into the Atlantic and it made the signal stronger to the north, south and west.

It was estimated that Larry Glick had 4 to 6 million listeners back in the 70's because TV stations went off the air around 1 AM, there was no internet of course, so people listened to the radio.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I knew Lana going back to when she worked at WAAF. She met her husband there and they decided Worcester would be home.

When I first relocated to Chicago in the early 80's, WBZ-AM was my way of staying connected to the area. At night WBZ can be heard in Chicago as clearly as the local stations because of an engineering quirk that gave the station the strongest signal on the east coast. Most AM stations have directional signals at night to protect other stations but WBZ was a clear channel that went directional by choice as there was no need to send 50,000 watts into the Atlantic and it made the signal stronger to the north, south and west.

It was estimated that Larry Glick had 4 to 6 million listeners back in the 70's because TV stations went off the air around 1 AM, there was no internet of course, so people listened to the radio.

I cannot compete with your knowledge, but I too remember that when living in MI a few years ago, the BZ signal was strong.

Thanks.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I cannot compete with your knowledge, but I too remember that when living in MI a few years ago, the BZ signal was strong.

Thanks.

Those of us in the industry fear for WBZ. We have seen over the past 20 years legacy stations like WRKO 680, 590 AM which was the old WEEI become shells of what they were and the old WHDH 850 AM was erased completely and 1510 AM no longer exists.

It is what it is, newspapers are dying, AM radio is all but dead and FM radio is on life support.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
WBZ NewsRadio 1030 bids goodbye to Soldiers Field Road in Brighton - The Boston Globe

WBZ radio has a long history in Massachusetts. The station aired its first broadcast in September 1921 from East Springfield and started broadcasting in Boston a few years later from a studio at the Hotel Brunswick. WBZ became known as the “Herald-Traveler station” because it broadcast news supplied by the Boston Herald and its sister newspaper, the Boston Traveler, according to WBZ’s website.

Over the years, WBZ radio earned a reputation for being a news powerhouse, as it was the first radio station to broadcast the Boston Bruins (that was in 1924, and Frank Ryan, a sportswriter for the Boston Herald, did the play-by-play) and the first radio broadcast of the Boston Marathon in 1931.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Christian Fauria just said I kid you not ‘I hope something real bad happens to the Bruins so I don’t have to listen to any talk about them’

This guy is one dumb f*** and that show can’t fail enough

I only had on because I was listening to Dale and Keefe

I feel bad for Merloni

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Christian Fauria just said I kid you not ‘I hope something real bad happens to the Bruins so I don’t have to listen to any talk about them’

This guy is one dumb **** and that show can’t fail enough

I feel bad for Merloni
He was channeling Mazz when he used to be on the Big Show

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He was channeling Mazz when he used to be on the Big Show
I now go
T&R
Dale & Keefe
Felger & Mazz in small doses
Anyone but Adam Jones

Can’t stand Greg Dickerson either

My radio dislike list

1. Adam Jones
2. Christian Fauria
3. Beedle but only on show he’s very good on Patriots pre game

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I now go
T&R
Dale & Keefe
Anyone but Adam Jones

My radio dislike list

1. Adam Jones
2. Christian Fauria
I am EEI weekdays Hub weekends

Does anyone like Jones? Because I have never heard one good thing about him

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am EEI weekdays Hub weekends

Does anyone like Jones? Because I have never heard one good thing about him
He’s so schtick why bother listening

Jones I believe is bright and probably could do a good job but his sports vulture schtick is unlistenable

He’s had Kirk on and been very good which makes his shows even worse because he’s acting out a personality

Fauria is just dumb- that he thinks he’s funny and intelligent is comical

I could eat lobster every night or the week is everyone who commented to me he’s either useless or a dummy on the radio gave me a $1

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I now go
T&R
Dale & Keefe
Anyone but Adam Jones

My radio dislike list

1. Adam Jones
2. Christian Fauria

I like Beetle, I'll take him over Gresh or Tanguay any day. Beetle & Zo need to worry about Dale & Keefe though. With their Patriots duties, it seems like Hardy hosts two days a week and he sucks.
Hardy and Sarge was cringe and sleep inducing at the same time. I can see WEEI winning that time slot pretty soon.

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com

I feel bad for Merloni

That show can degrade so quickly. Fauria vs. Ordway is such an ugly unappealing battle. The beginning of that show today was f***ing annoying. They were immediately screaming at each other about being wimps and accusing each other of lying about inane shit. It was notable that within the first five minutes, I shut it off.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I now go
T&R
Dale & Keefe
Anyone but Adam Jones

My radio dislike list

1. Adam Jones
2. Christian Fauria

I feel bad for Merloni
Who cares? He’s not from around here.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Same. I moved to PA in the early 70’s. If not for WBZ, I might be a Flyers fan.
:eek:

Reactions: BMC and Fenway

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm watching the 1989 All Star game on NHL Network.

Its crazy that the picture quality is as good for this as it would be for a game from the early 2000s considering all the tech advances that happened in the 90s.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
WBZ NewsRadio 1030 bids goodbye to Soldiers Field Road in Brighton - The Boston Globe

WBZ radio has a long history in Massachusetts. The station aired its first broadcast in September 1921 from East Springfield and started broadcasting in Boston a few years later from a studio at the Hotel Brunswick. WBZ became known as the “Herald-Traveler station” because it broadcast news supplied by the Boston Herald and its sister newspaper, the Boston Traveler, according to WBZ’s website.

Over the years, WBZ radio earned a reputation for being a news powerhouse, as it was the first radio station to broadcast the Boston Bruins (that was in 1924, and Frank Ryan, a sportswriter for the Boston Herald, did the play-by-play) and the first radio broadcast of the Boston Marathon in 1931.

Where are they moving?

Wouldn't mind if the TV station cleared out of the old Ground Round and that would go back to being a restaurant again I used to love going there as a kid.

Reactions: hoss75

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Where are they moving?

Wouldn't mind if the TV station cleared out of the old Ground Round and that would go back to being a restaurant again I used to love going there as a kid.
The Ground ROund was the absolute best when I was a kid. Free popcorn, cartoons in the dining room, ice cream in baseball hats, and a clown that made you balloon animals. It's just disappointing there isn't one to take my kids to. I guess there are a few GRs out there but they don't have all the fun stuff anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad