Official Sports Media Thread (TV, Radio, Print etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
People will probably disagree but Merloni sucks. Other than talking about baseball he's painful to listen to.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People will probably disagree but Merloni sucks. Other than talking about baseball he's painful to listen to.

He's at least a fan of the other teams, although my view of him may be somewhat inflated due to Mutt being so annoying.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
D&C haven't been focused on headlines or politics for quite some time now. That show is not what it was 2 years ago. Headlines is creeping back in and we'll se where the show is allowed to go with the new boss. 98.5's morning shows are too juvenile for my liking. I have no problems with Mutt and Merloni,good but not great radio. Same with Salk and Holley-good but not great. Planet Mikey can be very good but some of these local media guests stink.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
D&C haven't been focused on headlines or politics for quite some time now. That show is not what it was 2 years ago. Headlines is creeping back in and we'll se where the show is allowed to go with the new boss. 98.5's morning shows are too juvenile for my liking. I have no problems with Mutt and Merloni,good but not great radio. Same with Salk and Holley-good but not great. Planet Mikey can be very good but some of these local media guests stink.

Could have fooled me. I tuned in the other day and they were rambling on about the government shutdown and whose fault it was. Needless to say, it was a quick stop by for me.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Ummm, what the heck happened with T&R and Rick Pitino this morning?

It showed up on their ridiculous podcast feed (I mean, who wants to listen to all 4 hours of a radio show, commercials included)...and Pitino comes on and they scream at him and hang up.

Maybe I missed something, was it a recording of Pitino or something? If not, that's pretty poor form. I know they did the same to Theo Fleury, though I guess that was because Fleury kept flaking on their interview requests.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

It showed up on their ridiculous podcast feed (I mean, who wants to listen to all 4 hours of a radio show, commercials included)...and Pitino comes on and they scream at him and hang up.

Maybe I missed something, was it a recording of Pitino or something? If not, that's pretty poor form. I know they did the same to Theo Fleury, though I guess that was because Fleury kept flaking on their interview requests.

Rick Pitino never faced the music after making a mess of the Celtics and taking Red's title. He's a clown and whatever childish crap they gave him, he deserves it.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

They didn't scream at Theo, it went like this.

"Hello Theo...Goodbye" and then Fred hung up. I thought it was hilarious.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Rick Pitino never faced the music after making a mess of the Celtics and taking Red's title. He's a clown and whatever childish crap they gave him, he deserves it.

Who knew that Fred Toucher gave a crap about the 2000 Celtics, given that the guy was in Atlanta at the time.

Incredible double standard: If D+C did this exact thing, there would be no end to the pearl clutching and monocle dropping.

But I guess Fred's cool because he liked Andrew Alberts in 2006. :shakehead

Why would the producer even book Pitino on the show then? Just to allow your hosts to act like a jerk?

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Zo has been the anchor for that team, which tells you how bad Gresh really is. Zo makes that show almost tolerable because he's naturally goofy and fun. Gresh is just annoying. Every show on both stations has a flaw.

T&R don't really know anything about sports
D&C would rather talk politics and race than sports
Gresh & Zo - Gresh is terrible
Lou & Mutt - Mutt is terrible
Holley & Salk - Salk is nearly as bad as Gresh in terms of being aggravating
Felger & Mazz - Mazz yells into his mic all day long. Drives me nuts
Adam Jones is the radio host equivalent of water. If Rich Keefe is the strong point of your show, you have the wrong host.
Planet Mikey worked as a TV Show on NECN back in the 90s, but it's un-listenable on radio.

It's interesting to note what bothers some people and what bothers others.

I listen only when I'm in the car, so a change of the station is only an arms length away! :laugh:

If they're talking sports, I'll usually listen, even if I disagree 100%. I hate the interviews with drunks, and I certainly don't care about their political views or what they like to eat, listen to or watch on TV.

I dunno if T&R don't really know anything about sports, or if they just choose to not talk sports, but the fact is, they don't talk sports, and that bugs me. Also their minimal grasp of the English language is annoying. If you removed the words "Like," "I mean," and "Blah, blah, blah" from their vocabulary, they'd have a hard time finishing a single show.

I admit my morning commute is only 25 minutes or so, but from what I've heard D&C almost always talk sports these days. Rarely hockey, but sports nonetheless. They certainly talk sports more than T&R.

I listen only briefly at lunch some days, so can't really comment on mid-day hosts.

I really like Holley, but Salk can be a jerk to callers.

I rarely agree with Felger and Mazz, but like to listen cuz they get me involved. Not that I call...I just yell at the radio! LOL

Mazz yelling doesn't bother me. What bugs me is when they play his high-pitched rants. It's not funny and I change the station every time. I'm at the point where I also change it when they play the final word, because they never re-play the best calls of the day, they re-play the worst. Guys, the call sucked the first time...it still sucks!

I like Adam Jones' show, not so much for him, but he lets the callers make their point.

Planet Mikey sucks.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Who knew that Fred Toucher gave a crap about the 2000 Celtics, given that the guy was in Atlanta at the time.

Incredible double standard: If D+C did this exact thing, there would be no end to the pearl clutching and monocle dropping.

Why would the producer even book Pitino on the show then? Just to allow your hosts to act like a jerk?

I'm not even a Celtics fan, but Rick Pitino is a fraud. He still hasn't had the press conference he said he'd have.

I don't care who did it, Ricky the fraud deserves to hear it and if D&C did it, it would be fine with me.

I'm sure the station will survive not having Pitino a friend of the show.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

I don't think you should be surprised or annoyed by a sophomoric act from a sophomoric show.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's interesting to note what bothers some people and what bothers others.

I listen only when I'm in the car, so a change of the station is only an arms length away! :laugh:

If they're talking sports, I'll usually listen, even if I disagree 100%. I hate the interviews with drunks, and I certainly don't care about their political views or what they like to eat, listen to or watch on TV.

I dunno if T&R don't really know anything about sports, or if they just choose to not talk sports, but the fact is, they don't talk sports, and that bugs me. Also their minimal grasp of the English language is annoying. If you removed the words "Like," "I mean," and "Blah, blah, blah" from their vocabulary, they'd have a hard time finishing a single show.

I admit my morning commute is only 25 minutes or so, but from what I've heard D&C almost always talk sports these days. Rarely hockey, but sports nonetheless. They certainly talk sports more than T&R.

I listen only briefly at lunch some days, so can't really comment on mid-day hosts.

I really like Holley, but Salk can be a jerk to callers.

I rarely agree with Felger and Mazz, but like to listen cuz they get me involved. Not that I call...I just yell at the radio! LOL

Mazz yelling doesn't bother me. What bugs me is when they play his high-pitched rants. It's not funny and I change the station every time. I'm at the point where I also change it when they play the final word, because they never re-play the best calls of the day, they re-play the worst. Guys, the call sucked the first time...it still sucks!

I like Adam Jones' show, not so much for him, but he lets the callers make their point.

Planet Mikey sucks.

In terms of morning shows, when D&C is talking sports, they're what I listen to. Problem I have is most times I flip them on lately, they're not. I leave my house at 7:30, and maybe it's coincidental, but most of the time I put on the radio, they've been talking about non sports topics. It may be anecdotal, but it's just what I've encountered. This morning they were rambling on about the movie Ted and playing that clip where Wahlberg tries to guess the white trash name of the girl Ted picked up. I liked the movie, and it was funny, but all I wanted to know was who won the play in game. It took me 15 minutes before a flash update provided me that info.

So maybe it isn't that egregious that they were talking about a movie, but with the Bruins opening tonight, the Sox playoffs opening tomorrow (and now knowing who they're playing), and the Pats having some issues with their WR's and the Gronk controversy, it seems that there are plenty of valid sports related topics to discuss more so than a movie that was out over a year ago. :laugh:

In terms of Felger and Mazz, I actually love squeaky Mazz. Not as much as Naughty Maserotti, but it's still funny to me. Especially if they fold in Felger as satan. That's just comedy gold, IMO. :laugh:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
In terms of morning shows, when D&C is talking sports, they're what I listen to. Problem I have is most times I flip them on lately, they're not. I leave my house at 7:30, and maybe it's coincidental, but most of the time I put on the radio, they've been talking about non sports topics. It may be anecdotal, but it's just what I've encountered. This morning they were rambling on about the movie Ted and playing that clip where Wahlberg tries to guess the white trash name of the girl Ted picked up. I liked the movie, and it was funny, but all I wanted to know was who won the play in game. It took me 15 minutes before a flash update provided me that info.

So maybe it isn't that egregious that they were talking about a movie, but with the Bruins opening tonight, the Sox playoffs opening tomorrow (and now knowing who they're playing), and the Pats having some issues with their WR's and the Gronk controversy, it seems that there are plenty of valid sports related topics to discuss more so than a movie that was out over a year ago. :laugh:

In terms of Felger and Mazz, I actually love squeaky Mazz. Not as much as Naughty Maserotti, but it's still funny to me. Especially if they fold in Felger as satan. That's just comedy gold, IMO. :laugh:

It just comes down to timing for you. That is when they have their Headlines segment everyday so it is guaranteed that when you get in your car at 7:30 that is what you are going to get.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It just comes down to timing for you. That is when they have their Headlines segment everyday so it is guaranteed that when you get in your car at 7:30 that is what you are going to get.

Yep, and that's why I haven't listened to them much lately. FWIW, I haven't been listening to T&R either. I've been putting music on.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I've barely listened to TSH at all lately. These new PMRC-esque rules are pathetic, and none of the legend callers ever call in anymore. And ever since that epic Goucher segment, I can't help but notice how often FM argue the same point for an hour straight. :laugh:

I always make sure to tune in on Tuesdays at 3:55, though. I ****ing love how the callers started ending questions for Wiggy with "wwwwwwwwwhhhhhooooaaaaaaaa." It gets more ridiculous by the week :laugh:

Last edited:

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
I've barely listened to TSH at all lately. These new PMRC-esque rules are pathetic, and none of the legend callers ever call in anymore. And ever since that epic Goucher segment, I can't help but notice how often FM argue the same point for an hour straight. :laugh:

I always make sure to tune in on Tuesdays at 3:55, though. I ****ing love how the callers started ending questions for Wiggy with "wwwwwwwwwhhhhhooooaaaaaaaa." It gets more ridiculous by the week :laugh:

10 questions with Wiggy has quickly become the best part of my week

chippa13*

say what you want...but today's "stunt" by TnR is why they are rated #1

they have hung up on

T.O.
Theo
Bill Walton
Pitino

PS - any chance EEI can take back boomer. He is dreadful.

Seidenberg 4 year deal!

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

they have hung up on

T.O.
Theo
Bill Walton
Pitino

Seidenberg 4 year deal!

Fred also hung up on Jonah Hill. If I remember correctly, Hill was promoting some movie and Fred just wanted to talk about Superbad, and after Hill told him he had to promote the new movie (forget the name of it), Fred became upset and hung up on him. Hill called back and they straightened everything out. As much as he wanted to re-live his Superbad performance, he had a director from his new movie sitting right next to him during the phone interview who told him to just talk about the new movie.

Ruzicka38

Oh man
Jan 19, 2006
Hopedale
T & R : They are fun, entertaining, and know enough about sports to keep their show #1. I do miss Crash Clark and The Chili Guy though.

Holley: knows less about hockey than I know about Polo

D&C: I just can't stand Callahan's smug voice/attitude

chippa13*

T & R : They are fun, entertaining, and know enough about sports to keep their show #1. I do miss Crash Clark and The Chili Guy though.

Holley: knows less about hockey than I know about Polo

D&C: I just can't stand Callahan's smug voice/attitude

Chili guy was the best.... Faster guy was a decent replacement though

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

they have hung up on

T.O.
Theo
Bill Walton
Pitino

Seidenberg 4 year deal!

If that is the kind of thing is what entertains you than more power to you.

chippa13*

Not just me....

they are #1

Who will replace DnC when they get canned? That is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad