Official Sports Media Thread (TV, Radio, Print etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
LOL hysterical. Fans here moan and whine and complain that a station ignored one of its home teams for so long, and at the same time want a station to ignore one of its home teams.

Seems like some people think that stations should devote their time to only the sports THEY like.
I listen to F&M because they don't talk Celtics. They assured their listeners last night that that won't change, and I appreciate that. But the other shows might not hold the line as well. Furthermore, this means that on a night when ordinarily we'd hear Pac Man [not the best, but a fine choice if you're commuting that late], there's no Sports Hub legit programming, but rather basketball on the radio. Basketball is insufferable enough in its own right, but on the radio is just horrendous.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I listen to F&M because they don't talk Celtics. They assured their listeners last night that that won't change, and I appreciate that. But the other shows might not hold the line as well. Furthermore, this means that on a night when ordinarily we'd hear Pac Man [not the best, but a fine choice if you're commuting that late], there's no Sports Hub legit programming, but rather basketball on the radio. Basketball is insufferable enough in its own right, but on the radio is just horrendous.

Look, I totally get it if you or anyone else doesn't like the Celtics (or Bruins, or Red Sox or Patriots). That's your choice. But one of the things that many Hubbies were praising them for was that they were giving attention to a team, that for awhile was down, out and ignored in this city. I just find it hysterical that now those same people want the Celtics to be totally ignored.

IMO a sports outlet should devote time to the 4 major sports. Having their morning and afternoon drive time hosts who do most of the talking hating the sport, league and actual local team makes zero sense to me.

Oh and as for your last sentence, I can only gather that you are a youngen and don't remember moments like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI_NVgwHnVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNpJXDPnQTE

Those are just radio gold my friend.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Look, I totally get it if you or anyone else doesn't like the Celtics (or Bruins, or Red Sox or Patriots). That's your choice. But one of the things that many Hubbies were praising them for was that they were giving attention to a team, that for awhile was down, out and ignored in this city. I just find it hysterical that now those same people want the Celtics to be totally ignored.

IMO a sports outlet should devote time to the 4 major sports. Having their morning and afternoon drive time hosts who do most of the talking hating the sport, league and actual local team makes zero sense to me.

Oh and as for your last sentence, I can only gather that you are a youngen and don't remember moments like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI_NVgwHnVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNpJXDPnQTE

Those are just radio gold my friend.

Right, it is the equivalent of Ordway doing "Hawkey Tawlk" and look how that worked out for him.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Glenn Ordway ‏@GlennDOrdway 5m
Come on @GlobeChadFinn Your source didn't give you the latest @weei news..I wonder why not??? Jeff Brown is out as GM at @WEEI

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
He may be a boob, but he knows and likes hockey.

Last week Salk explained his theory about why Chara was being used in front of the net during the PP: The Bruins don't like Chara on the PP but to make him feel like he's important they just stick him in front of the net because if they take him off the PP his feelings will be hurt.
I might be wrong, but I consider this theory ridiculous. Even a casual fan would probably think Chara is in front of the net for some kind of strategic reason, not to prevent his feelings from being hurt. Personally, I think Chara is in front of the net because nobody else on the team has been willing and/or able to get there and stay there for the better of 3 seasons.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Just a few questions:

1) How much air time are the Bruins getting right now with the Pats and Sox?
-A high amount, good amount, some, or little/background?

2) What do you make of the Celtics on WBZ-FM?

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Oddly, I am finding myself tuning into D&C for the last week or so. T&R and starting to annoy me to the point that I can't listen. Now, it's only for a 20 minute ride to work, not the whole show.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Just a few questions:

1) How much air time are the Bruins getting right now with the Pats and Sox?
-A high amount, good amount, some, or little/background?

2) What do you make of the Celtics on WBZ-FM?

1 - The most. It's all Bruins all the time on both stations.

2 - I don't care.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Oddly, I am finding myself tuning into D&C for the last week or so. T&R and starting to annoy me to the point that I can't listen. Now, it's only for a 20 minute ride to work, not the whole show.

I listen to D&C and used to tune into T&R on my drive in to catch one of their bits. But I have heard enough drunken fans and arm pit of America segments that I have had my fill.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
The only big change was the D&C show. That is a big leap. The rest all make sense to me except for Gresh and Zo. I don't know how anyone can listen to Gresh.

I said months ago that the T&R show was the weakest link in that lineup and that it would provide a beach head for the evil empire to start chipping away at TSH. I'm surprised the morning numbers aren't closer by now. EEI has to pay whatever they have to pay to keep the Sox, otherwise they are complete toast.

The time is getting ripe for a 3rd option.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I said months ago that the T&R show was the weakest link in that lineup and that it would provide a beach head for the evil empire to start chipping away at TSH. I'm surprised the morning numbers aren't closer by now. EEI has to pay whatever they have to pay to keep the Sox, otherwise they are complete toast.

The time is getting ripe for a 3rd option.

That is pretty bad when you consider that Gresh and Zo are part of that lineup.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
That is pretty bad when you consider that Gresh and Zo are part of that lineup.
I've been doing a lot more mid-day driving lately, and I've started to actually like Zo's quirky attitude. He's entertaining without being informative. You guys are right about Gresh, though, he's hard to listen to.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I listen to D&C and used to tune into T&R on my drive in to catch one of their bits. But I have heard enough drunken fans and arm pit of America segments that I have had my fill.

pretty much how I feel as well. Those bits are funny now and then but when the show seems to be based around them they lose a lot.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
The piano bit yesterday almost put me to sleep. Not funny at all.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
pretty much how I feel as well. Those bits are funny now and then but when the show seems to be based around them they lose a lot.

on a couple of occasions they used cutesy news item tidbits that included guys farting at innoportune times as lead ins to bits involving fart jokes, and all I heard was a bunch of swings and misses and foul balls. I can't stress this enough...fart jokes write themselves! How do you screw up fart jokes?!

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
The piano bit yesterday almost put me to sleep. Not funny at all.

they had back to back interviews last week with Danny Ainge and that new Howdy Doody lookalike they have for a coach, and it was beyond tedious. It almost put me to sleep...AND I WAS DRIVING!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I've been doing a lot more mid-day driving lately, and I've started to actually like Zo's quirky attitude. He's entertaining without being informative. You guys are right about Gresh, though, he's hard to listen to.

Zo has been the anchor for that team, which tells you how bad Gresh really is. Zo makes that show almost tolerable because he's naturally goofy and fun. Gresh is just annoying. Every show on both stations has a flaw.

T&R don't really know anything about sports
D&C would rather talk politics and race than sports
Gresh & Zo - Gresh is terrible
Lou & Mutt - Mutt is terrible
Holley & Salk - Salk is nearly as bad as Gresh in terms of being aggravating
Felger & Mazz - Mazz yells into his mic all day long. Drives me nuts
Adam Jones is the radio host equivalent of water. If Rich Keefe is the strong point of your show, you have the wrong host.
Planet Mikey worked as a TV Show on NECN back in the 90s, but it's un-listenable on radio.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Zo has been the anchor for that team, which tells you how bad Gresh really is. Zo makes that show almost tolerable because he's naturally goofy and fun. Gresh is just annoying. Every show on both stations has a flaw.

T&R don't really know anything about sports
D&C would rather talk politics and race than sports
Gresh & Zo - Gresh is terrible
Lou & Mutt - Mutt is terrible
Holley & Salk - Salk is nearly as bad as Gresh in terms of being aggravating
Felger & Mazz - Mazz yells into his mic all day long. Drives me nuts
Adam Jones is the radio host equivalent of water. If Rich Keefe is the strong point of your show, you have the wrong host.
Planet Mikey worked as a TV Show on NECN back in the 90s, but it's un-listenable on radio.

You covered it all here. This is the truth.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
The only big change was the D&C show. That is a big leap. The rest all make sense to me except for Gresh and Zo. I don't know how anyone can listen to Gresh.

Totally agree on Gresh and Zo. I listen to Mut and Merloni during the mid-day. Outside of their expertise during football season, I don't really see what Gresh and Zo have to offer during the other sports seasons. I can tolerate Zo to a degree, but Gresh? Yeah, no. Idk about the rest of you, but I would really like a mid-day show of McAdam and Zo.

As for D&C, this might just be me, but I think their ratings will go down as hockey rolls along, particularly if the Bruins perform well, which they should.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Totally agree on Gresh and Zo. I listen to Mut and Merloni during the mid-day. Outside of their expertise during football season, I don't really see what Gresh and Zo have to offer during the other sports seasons. I can tolerate Zo to a degree, but Gresh? Yeah, no. Idk about the rest of you, but I would really like a mid-day show of McAdam and Zo.

As for D&C, this might just be me, but I think their ratings will go down as hockey rolls along, particularly if the Bruins perform well, which they should.

McAdams, Dave Goucher, and Mike Flynn all should be week day regulars on the air for TSH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad