Speculation: Official Rumours/Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2020-21 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
He can be insulated in this lineup. One Laine has more benefits than problems. Plus Barky would be a great influence on him.

not close to being there with this group, imo. they are having success but still backslide into the soft play that's been their hallmark.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
not close to being there with this group, imo. they are having success but still backslide into the soft play that's been their hallmark.

They're not there yet, but they might be - in two years when Laine is a UFA. And if.he doesn't bounce back to 40+ goals by then, I'm not sure if I even want him. But let's see where Laine, and most importantly the Panthers, are by then.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He can be insulated in this lineup. One Laine has more benefits than problems. Plus Barky would be a great influence on him.

Yes Barkov would have huge impact on Laine's game that's not a secret.
But everyone knows damn well Laine is not coming to Panthers before he's UFA.

As cool it obviously would to see Barkov and Laine together in Panthers jersey
the odds for that are so minimal as ever could be so nobody's
shouldn't hold breath to wait Laine showing up to Panthers.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Well yes we’d have to pay out the ass for him so I’d just wait if he wants to come.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

It's possible CBJ puts Laine on the block at the deadline, but the Panthers don't really have the pieces to make a run at him.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Kick some tires on Oleksiak?
UFA to be, $2.1 million cap hit but less than 2 mil in cash owed.
4th/5th rounder?

Big body, decent defensive stats, played in a real sound defense first team with DAL (PIT before that) the past two years and went to the Finals, has 43 playoff games under his belt.

Smaller moves:
  • Staal and Oleksiak

Bigger moves: (assuming one of Yandle/Stralman moved):

• Ekholm and Granlund/Staal

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Kick some tires on Oleksiak?
UFA to be, $2.1 million cap hit but less than 2 mil in cash owed.
4th/5th rounder?

Big body, decent defensive stats, played in a real sound defense first team with DAL (PIT before that) the past two years and went to the Finals, has 43 playoff games under his belt.

Smaller moves:
  • Staal and Oleksiak

Bigger moves: (assuming one of Yandle/Stralman moved):

• Ekholm and Granlund/Staal

Yeah i was thinking of Oleksiak as a possible target as well. I would think they could get a 2nd for him though. As you said, good at what he does(defense), and lots of playoff experience.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah i was thinking of Oleksiak as a possible target as well. I would think they could get a 2nd for him though. As you said, good at what he does(defense), and lots of playoff experience.

Long stick and reach, may help the PK a bit clearing the net at 6'7, 255 lbs, could cycle in on bottom pair or play 2nd pair in a pinch.
Played 15-16 mins last year in DAL but up to 19mins this year.
150+ hits last year.
Speed isn't there but he knows his role as a defensive D.

2nd seems pricey but I'd do a 3rd if need be.

2021 2nd + 2022 3rd/prospect for Staal
2022 3rd for Oleksiak

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I just don’t see us going after a D with the expansion draft coming up. We’ll protect Ekblad, Weegar, and unfortunately Yandle. Even if we go 4-4 they’ll probably want to protect gudas. Now, if they did somehow land ekholm, he’d be one of the four D protected and not Gudas. But I don’t envision them going in on a D at this moment. Maybe a depth forward or two. Plus we’re going up against tampa most likely one way or another at some point, they don’t even have kucherov and are still a force. I’d wait till the offseason to make more serious moves. After the expansion draft

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Long stick and reach, may help the PK a bit clearing the net at 6'7, 255 lbs, could cycle in on bottom pair or play 2nd pair in a pinch.
Played 15-16 mins last year in DAL but up to 19mins this year.
150+ hits last year.
Speed isn't there but he knows his role as a defensive D.

2nd seems pricey but I'd do a 3rd if need be.

2021 2nd + 2022 3rd/prospect for Staal
2022 3rd for Oleksiak

He was Heiskanen's D partner in the playoffs though, idk if he was last regular season. Johns might have been. Essentially 2nd pair. It looks like that's what he's playing full time this season, 2nd pair. Plus I believe that was his role on the Pittsburgh teams too. 2nd pair, 1st/2nd pk. I could see him going for as low as a 3rd, but I could see someone really valuing his style for the playoffs and paying a 2nd+.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I just don’t see us going after a D with the expansion draft coming up. We’ll protect Ekblad, Weegar, and unfortunately Yandle. Even if we go 4-4 they’ll probably want to protect gudas. Now, if they did somehow land ekholm, he’d be one of the four D protected and not Gudas. But I don’t envision them going in on a D at this moment. Maybe a depth forward or two. Plus we’re going up against tampa most likely one way or another at some point, they don’t even have kucherov and are still a force. I’d wait till the offseason to make more serious moves. After the expansion draft

The nice thing about Oleksiak though is he's a ufa, so we wouldn't have to protect him. Could just sign him after expansion draft if we like him. Ekholm though, yeah. I really like him, but I just dont see it as worth it with expansion. In total we would have to pay like a whole draft for him. He's good but he's not that good. If we really had a chance at the Cup this season, I'd be down for acquiring him.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Ifs its from Nashville I would want Forsberg
Player for player, I’d prefer forsberg, but he only has 1yr left at 6per, arvidsson still has 3yrs left on a fantastic 4.25per contract. Because of that, and the fact I think he’d be a little cheaper to acquire, I’d rather arvidsson personally with everything taken into account. Add another feisty swede

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Our roster is positioned pretty well.

at center we have Barkov, lundell, loustarinen. We can add a stop gap to play the 2nd like, really add to the depth just for next season, or acquire a depth experienced 4th line guy. But overall, we would be shaping up just fine down the middle. Not much tinkering needed.

On wing, there’s 6 wingers in the top-9. We have Huberdeau, Hornqvist, Verhaeghe still for another season and we’ll most likely retain him longer, Duclair is still young and an rfa so I envision him sticking around longer as well and I don’t expect either to break the bank, vatrano, and one spot left. We even have Acciari on the 4th line. Other than Huberdeau and Hornqvist, the other guys are movable, not like their untouchable or anything, but they provide great elements and won’t cost us an arm and a leg. Just one spot ideally in the top-9 to fill. From a depth chart perspective it’d be vatrano and horny on the 3rd, Verhaeghe and Duclair make a great winger duo (2nd line quality guys), then a higher end guy to play with Huberdeau would be nice to add (but nothing crazy like a laine or anything like that).

on d we have Ekblad, Weegar, probably stuck with Yandle if he doesn’t want to waive, and Gudas. We have forsling and even Nutivaara, so picking up one top-4 D is the goal, two would be incredible if zito could make it work.

given where we sit with our lineup, I’m still really onboard with using Tippett and/or Denisenko, plus out picks, as pieces in a deal. We’re positioned really well, adding a guy here or there to help push us over would go a long way.

Last edited:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Rumour going around Panthers-NYI trying to work a deal Komarov for Connolly. NYI wants us to retain salary which is sticking point as of now

While Komarov is no were near what he used to be. He's a real pest that could help us in that role.

Reactions: KW

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Rumour going around Panthers-NYI trying to work a deal Komarov for Connolly. NYI wants us to retain salary which is sticking point as of now

While Komarov is no were near what he used to be. He's a real pest that could help us in that role.
That’s a good trade: where is the rumor?

Edit: that would give us a killer fourth line of Komy-Lammikko-Cookie

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
As of now, I just want him to play like a 5M goalie instead of a 1.5M goalie. Even if it doesn’t change the cap, it makes us a better team!

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

Yeah where’d you see this? But I’d definitely do that, I’ve thought about komarov before. Both only have 1yr remaining after this, Connolly at 3.5mil and komarov at 3.0mil, I’d retain 0.5mil so worst case scenario we’re paying the exact same amount but adding someone who can bring something to our lineup. Him and Acciari would make a great winger combo on the 4th.

Reactions: KW

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Yeah where’d you see this? But I’d definitely do that, I’ve thought about komarov before. Both only have 1yr remaining after this, Connolly at 3.5mil and komarov at 3.0mil, I’d retain 0.5mil so worst case scenario we’re paying the exact same amount but adding someone who can bring something to our lineup. Him and Acciari would make a great winger combo on the 4th.
Guy can’t crack the islanders lineup. Why would anyone want him here?

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I originally thought of him plus another player in exchange for one of our cap dumps. This is essentially the same thing. Komarov fits the 4th liner mold way better than Connolly who really only provides scoring, so if he’s not in a top-9 or even top-6 role he’s kinda useless. The islanders already have martin and clutterbuck so komarov is redundant over there. I’d rather him for one more year than Connolly, just because we have room on our 4th line for experienced guys. I’d rather him over lomberg come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad