Speculation: Official Rumours/Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2020-21 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ya as much as I'd like to see BUF get in (1 because different division this year, 2 because they have had similar playoff struggles like us), they're just not as deep as BOS, PHI, PIT and NYI imo.

2nd + mid tier prospect would be fair, I asked on their board what they would want but timing isn't right, they want to make playoffs just as much as we do so April 12th is trade deadline, maybe wait another 2-3 weeks and if they don't go on a run, we can make a trade proposal thread and signal Zito to make a move :laugh:

Sounds good. Yeah not even mentioning Washington. They have no chance, they fell into the worst division setup possible.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Friedman claims that Nashville is having a fire sale. Thoughts on acquiring RyJo if NSH retains salary?
I know some are hot on Staal, but I really am not. He hasn't won a playoff series since 2009, so it's not like he's bringing a winning resume here. He was also a bust for the Rangers as a rental in 2016. Stats are shit this year too. Just don't have a good feel about bringing somebody like Staal who will have a massive presence but little to back it up with.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Friedman claims that Nashville is having a fire sale. Thoughts on acquiring RyJo if NSH retains salary?
I know some are hot on Staal, but I really am not. He hasn't won a playoff series since 2009, so it's not like he's bringing a winning resume here. He was also a bust for the Rangers as a rental in 2016. Stats are shit this year too. Just don't have a good feel about bringing somebody like Staal who will have a massive presence but little to back it up with.

No, Ryjo has a terrible work ethic. He would become a cancer to what we have going on now. Staal or nothing for me. We really only need a bridge to Lundell. I think by the end of next season Lundell will be pretty ready to become the #2 center.

Reactions: I am not exposed

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
No, just because he’s still under contract for 4 more years. He’s making 8per, so they have to retain a decent chunk to make it worth while at all. And we have lundell. I’m fine with getting a stop gap center, allowing lundell to start on the 3rd for a year or two considering the fact he’ll most likely come up next season and start at 19yr old. But that’s why I wanted staal this past offseason and still do. He’s a vet center who still has gas in the tank, have him for a season or two and move on. I’m not committing a good chunk of change into Ryan johansen for 4yrs. Doesn’t make sense to me personally. Should be a one year, two years at max sorta situation. If that was the case with him then sure, depending on how much nashville is willing to retain. But there’s no way their retaining half his contract for 4yrs, and even if they were I still wouldn’t want to have him for 4yrs at 4per with lundell already. Just not the right situation in my opinion

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
On the topic of trades though, I really hope we go hard for ekholm IF he’s actually available come deadline time.

you’re realistically not going to get a top pairing stud D in a trade. You either draft them, which we did when we got Ekblad at 1 but we haven’t had a situation like that since. You can sign a free agent, but guys like pietrangelo hitting happens maybe, what, once a decade? Sutter before him? That chance is gone and he wouldn’t pair up with Ekblad anyways.

ekholm is an experienced vet who isn’t too old yet, plays a very stable and steady D game, completely supporting and bolstering Ekblad. Ekholm and ekblad lol then a second pairing of Weegar and forsling where, even if forsling went to Seattle in the expansion draft, Weegar can still lead that second pairing. Then Yandle and Gudas bolstering the bottom pair (at least for this season, as it pertains to Yandle).

id be all for ekholm and think that’s a rare chance where a D could be available where it won’t completely kill you to acquire (but still hurt you) and makes a lot of sense to add someone like him.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
On the topic of trades though, I really hope we go hard for ekholm IF he’s actually available come deadline time.

you’re realistically not going to get a top pairing stud D in a trade. You either draft them, which we did when we got Ekblad at 1 but we haven’t had a situation like that since. You can sign a free agent, but guys like pietrangelo hitting happens maybe, what, once a decade? Sutter before him? That chance is gone and he wouldn’t pair up with Ekblad anyways.

ekholm is an experienced vet who isn’t too old yet, plays a very stable and steady D game, completely supporting and bolstering Ekblad. Ekholm and ekblad lol then a second pairing of Weegar and forsling where, even if forsling went to Seattle in the expansion draft, Weegar can still lead that second pairing. Then Yandle and Gudas bolstering the bottom pair (at least for this season, as it pertains to Yandle).

id be all for ekholm and think that’s a rare chance where a D could be available where it won’t completely kill you to acquire (but still hurt you) and makes a lot of sense to add someone like him.

Ekholm would be solid but the price is probably high, I can see many teams lining up for him. In that case no thanks, not until they can move out Yandle's contract.

I'd rather go after someone like Grandlund who will probably cost you a 2nd. He works hard and would bring some solid playmaking ability on that third line replacing Tippett. Not that Tippett has been terrible but he's just kind of there and does nothing. (sorry @TheImpatientPanther :D)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ekholm would be solid but the price is probably high, I can see many teams lining up for him. In that case no thanks, not until they can move out Yandle's contract.

I'd rather go after someone like Grandlund who will probably cost you a 2nd. He works hard and would bring some solid playmaking ability on that third line replacing Tippett. Not that Tippett has been terrible but he's just kind of there and does nothing. (sorry @TheImpatientPanther :D)

Staal and Ekholm are my two choices.
Staal this year and Ekholm in offseason if he isn't traded this year.

I can admit, Tippett does look disengaged for parts of his shifts and has unimpressed. He is basically a Hoffman with bigger size and little more grit.

Don't know if he will work as a 3RW (Noel and Hutsko have that feel to them), it's top 6 for him or nothing.
His passing has been pretty good but feel Vatrano and him can't work as both shooting threats on one line.
That 3rd line is getting outworked defensively, more GA than GF, move Horny down to do Vatrano - Luo - Horny and Tippett up with Huberdeau and Wennberg.

The knock on Tipp has always been full out effort without the puck, still think we should let him play the year out and see if it gets better. Load this line in the OZ, and let Tipp be the shooter on the line with one highly offensive playmaker and a defensive playmaker.

Reactions: harv33173

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Staal and Ekholm are my two choices.
Staal this year and Ekholm in offseason if he isn't traded this year.

I can admit, Tippett does look disengaged for parts of his shifts and has unimpressed. He is basically a Hoffman with bigger size and little more grit.

Don't know if he will work as a 3RW (Noel and Hutsko have that feel to them), it's top 6 for him or nothing.
His passing has been pretty good but feel Vatrano and him can't work as both shooting threats on one line.
That 3rd line is getting outworked defensively, more GA than GF, move Horny down to do Vatrano - Luo - Horny and Tippett up with Huberdeau and Wennberg.

The knock on Tipp has always been full out effort without the puck, still think we should let him play the year out and see if it gets better. Load this line in the OZ, and let Tipp be the shooter on the line with one highly offensive playmaker and a defensive playmaker.

I don't think we'll see any major lineup changes unless they hit a losing streak. Even then I have a hard time seeing Q promoting Tippett, he's the weakest link on that third line imo. Luostarinen is the driver and Franky, well, he is what he is a spark plug who goes 100 mph and scores occasionally. Pretty typical 3rd liners but yea Tippett looks like he tries to play a finesse game and just doesn't have the tools to do it.

Either way I'm not opposed to riding him through the season and giving him the whole year. He's hasn't been terrible or anything.

Neither do I want any expensive deadline additions unless it's guys with term. Maybe someone like Hjalmarsson from Arizona since Q knows him, can't imagine him being that expensive.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I agree on Tippett, he’s lacking the ability to anticipate where the puck is going to be as opposed to where it is. He’s also still lacking the ability to make quick passes and quick decisions, at a pace that gives success at the NHL level. But I think at the same time that he’s improving and he’s close, and once it happens, he’ll be a producer.

I agree that having him on the same line with Frankie isn’t helping him. Luo helps but Frankie does not.... I wonder if instead of promoting OT to the second line, Acciari when he’s back was put there as a winger, Frankie was moved to the fourth line and OT got to play with Horny and Luo?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If we can't get Staal, maybe Jarnkrok would be a good pickup. He can play center and adds more speed. Only one more year after this at 2M so if he doesn't work out no big deal. Ekholm would be my first target from the Preds, but it seems like there could be a nice bidding war for him.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't think we'll see any major lineup changes unless they hit a losing streak. Even then I have a hard time seeing Q promoting Tippett, he's the weakest link on that third line imo. Luostarinen is the driver and Franky, well, he is what he is a spark plug who goes 100 mph and scores occasionally. Pretty typical 3rd liners but yea Tippett looks like he tries to play a finesse game and just doesn't have the tools to do it.

Either way I'm not opposed to riding him through the season and giving him the whole year. He's hasn't been terrible or anything.

Neither do I want any expensive deadline additions unless it's guys with term. Maybe someone like Hjalmarsson from Arizona since Q knows him, can't imagine him being that expensive.

Ya I'd expect a 2nd/3rd + mid tier prospect trade in March if we're still on a 75+ pt pace.
No 1sts or anything until we know what's up with Barkov.

Finesse, that's a good word for Tippett, figured he'd do well with Huberdeau who can find him out front.
Keep those two away from our net 5 on 5. Give all the NZ and DZ starts to 1st, 3rd and 4th lines.

Just seems Vatrano and Luo have more chemistry. As you said, gotta give him a year to see what is working and what he needs to work on.
He is playing more physical than I thought he would, get him working out with Barkov to add board play to his repertoire.

Ya he's worth kicking tires on, unsure as well what he may cost.
A 3rd + prospect/4th?
Could help the PK, plays 3:36 of it on average for ARI.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018

I’ve wanted them to try to get Hjallmorsson forever. But idk if it’s too late in his career now. I don’t think he’ll waive his nmc to leave AZ, if what I’ve heard is correct, he was just recently divorced and since his kid(s) wouldn’t be moving with him, he’s not going anywhere.

Reactions: FormerPantherFan

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, the idea of Hammer is nice, but he's getting pretty old. Ekholm would fit in perfectly but the cost will likely be high. It would be nice if there was someone in their late 20's/early 30's but didn't cost an arm and a leg.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Ya I'd expect a 2nd/3rd + mid tier prospect trade in March if we're still on a 75+ pt pace.
No 1sts or anything until we know what's up with Barkov.

Finesse, that's a good word for Tippett, figured he'd do well with Huberdeau who can find him out front.
Keep those two away from our net 5 on 5. Give all the NZ and DZ starts to 1st, 3rd and 4th lines.

Just seems Vatrano and Luo have more chemistry. As you said, gotta give him a year to see what is working and what he needs to work on.
He is playing more physical than I thought he would, get him working out with Barkov to add board play to his repertoire.

Ya he's worth kicking tires on, unsure as well what he may cost.
A 3rd + prospect/4th?
Could help the PK, plays 3:36 of it on average for ARI.

Yeah I'd do something like a 3rd for him but that's probably it. He would be a good fit imo.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, the idea of Hammer is nice, but he's getting pretty old. Ekholm would fit in perfectly but the cost will likely be high. It would be nice if there was someone in their late 20's/early 30's but didn't cost an arm and a leg.
Nashville seems like an organization that would have a crush on Aleksi Saarela, which would make Ekholm affordable. We already have an expansion draft dilemma on defense, but maybe adding one more name to that dilemma doesn't make a huge difference.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Nashville seems like an organization that would have a crush on Aleksi Saarela, which would make Ekholm affordable. We already have an expansion draft dilemma on defense, but maybe adding one more name to that dilemma doesn't make a huge difference.

That's the only thing that scares me about Ekholm. Expansion is gonna make it hard to acquire a D in season. One the one hand, you want to acquire a guy who will be here past this season, preferably. Otoh, you can't protect them in expansion, unless you aren't giving up much.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I was thinking they take Stralman at 50% retained to make it work cap wise.

but you’re not going to get a guy capable of comfortably playing on the top line without giving up assets that hurt. You’re not trading a 2nd rounder and getting a top pair quality guy, even if offense isn’t his speciality, but still. You can wait to see if he hits free agency, but there’s no guarantee, and then you have to get into a bidding war that way. It’s more of a pick your poison situation. It obviously depends on what they want for him, but I’d make a good push. Only thing that makes it tricky in-season is the fact the expansion draft is coming up.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I was thinking they take Stralman at 50% retained to make it work cap wise.

but you’re not going to get a guy capable of comfortably playing on the top line without giving up assets that hurt. You’re not trading a 2nd rounder and getting a top pair quality guy, even if offense isn’t his speciality, but still. You can wait to see if he hits free agency, but there’s no guarantee, and then you have to get into a bidding war that way. It’s more of a pick your poison situation. It obviously depends on what they want for him, but I’d make a good push. Only thing that makes it tricky in-season is the fact the expansion draft is coming up.

Yeah that's what I mean. You might be looking at a 1st to acquire him, and then maybe a 1st or 2nd to Seattle so they don't take him. I mean I like Ekholm, but pass on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad