Speculation: Official Rumours/Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2020-21 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
With free agency approaching, keep in mind the sources you post here. It's a growing trend in hockey twitter that people "transcribe" interviews, radio appereances, etc. and then what the person said either gets taken completely out of context or worse, the whole thing is made up.

Reactions: violaswallet

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If they trade for the rights to krug and sign him, I’m sure they’ll do so because they have something lined up for Yandle. If that’s the case, what if they also did the same for pietrangelo and then traded Ekblad for a haul of futures? Not saying that’ll happen, just bringing up crazy hypotheticals since it’s that time of year To create conversation :laugh:

If AP gets 9.5 and krug gets 7.5 that’s a combined 17per, which is 3.15 more (combined) than Yandle and Ekblad. Then they use the pieces from Ekblad to address other areas via highly ranked prospects for 2nd line center longterm and maybe a defensive piece as well since he’d return a good haul (cost controlled assets that won’t add to the cap). Just based on age, I don’t think that’s necessarily the right direction to go, though we would be better immediately, but yeah just throwing out crazy stuff to get people talking.

———

Personally, if they do have something lined up for Yandle, then acquire AP’s rights, get a deal done in the 9’s and ship out Yandle, probably for a stop gap veteran 2C, and keep Ekblad.

having AP, one of the top D in the entire league, an actual elite defenseman on the first line and Ekblad on the 2nd would be spectacular. Matheson and Yandle both out. Retain Weegar, Stralman can stay for one more season, stillman is still dirt cheap. Then just get one more ld to pair up with either Ekblad or ap.

Last edited:

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I'm not sure how it's a bad move. He's a top pairing D that this team needs badly.

Out: Matheson, Dadonov, Hoff

In: Hornqvist, Pietrangelo

It's a downgrade on offense but not a huge one if someone like Tippett can step right in and be somewhat productive. And a major upgrade on defense.

Overall, I think the team would be better.

Paying 9-9.5M for a 37-38 year old defenseman? If this was maybe 5 years ago sure, but when we already have a 32 year old goaltender signed for 10M per year through 2027 it's just super risky to have two aging players signed for almost 20M of cap space for maybe 2 more years of a 1D.

Reactions: austropanther

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Paying 9-9.5M for a 37-38 year old defenseman? If this was maybe 5 years ago sure, but when we already have a 32 year old goaltender signed for 10M per year through 2027 it's just super risky to have two aging players signed for almost 20M of cap space for maybe 2 more years of a 1D.

I mean if we are worried about our cap in 2027 then we might as well fold up shop with this current core and sell them off. Signing AP may be a problem in six-seven years but it would also solve a lot of problems for the next five. We need to either go with this core or start another rebuild, the next three-five years are prime years for this group.

Reactions: pantherbot

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

If we did sign AP to 9-9.5M, by the time we get to the end of his contract the cap should be higher and that salary won't look so bad. If we were willing to sign yandle to $6M 4 years ago when the cap was lower than today, we should have no problem with 9-9.5M for AP.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Friedmans 31 thoughts today:

31 Thoughts: With Stanley Cup awarded, NHL faces new questions - Sportsnet.ca

Hornqvist is one of Florida assistant GM Paul Fenton’s best draft picks, and it wasn’t a surprise Fenton would go after the winger. I wonder if there’s a Ryan Donato/Henrik Borgstrom-style swap in the future. The former is another Fenton favourite, while the latter could use a change of scenery.

This is purely me thinking out loud: if, sometime down the road, there’s any doubt about Florida’s direction, could Joel Quenneville end up in Seattle? There’s no evidence of any issues with the Panthers, but he was hired by a different GM and who knows how everyone feels next summer.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Donato>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Borgstrom

Funny that both of them were nominated for the Hobey Baker and lost to Gaudette.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
If they trade for the rights to krug and sign him, I’m sure they’ll do so because they have something lined up for Yandle. If that’s the case, what if they also did the same for pietrangelo and then traded Ekblad for a haul of futures? Not saying that’ll happen, just bringing up crazy hypotheticals since it’s that time of year To create conversation :laugh:

If AP gets 9.5 and krug gets 7.5 that’s a combined 17per, which is 3.15 more (combined) than Yandle and Ekblad. Then they use the pieces from Ekblad to address other areas via highly ranked prospects for 2nd line center longterm and maybe a defensive piece as well since he’d return a good haul (cost controlled assets that won’t add to the cap). Just based on age, I don’t think that’s necessarily the right direction to go, though we would be better immediately, but yeah just throwing out crazy stuff to get people talking.

———

Personally, if they do have something lined up for Yandle, then acquire AP’s rights, get a deal done in the 9’s and ship out Yandle, probably for a stop gap veteran 2C, and keep Ekblad.

having AP, one of the top D in the entire league, an actual elite defenseman on the first line and Ekblad on the 2nd would be spectacular. Matheson and Yandle both out. Retain Weegar, Stralman can stay for one more season, stillman is still dirt cheap. Then just get one more ld to pair up with either Ekblad or ap.
I like how you're thinking, I don't think it'll happen but I like the idea

Hornqvist is one of Florida assistant GM Paul Fenton’s best draft picks, and it wasn’t a surprise Fenton would go after the winger. I wonder if there’s a Ryan Donato/Henrik Borgstrom-style swap in the future. The former is another Fenton favourite, while the latter could use a change of scenery.

This is purely me thinking out loud: if, sometime down the road, there’s any doubt about Florida’s direction, could Joel Quenneville end up in Seattle? There’s no evidence of any issues with the Panthers, but he was hired by a different GM and who knows how everyone feels next summer.

Donato is bad too, less hope he figures it out. Q wasn't impressive but idk if I want out after 2 years and anyways he's making too much money to fire.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I like how you're thinking, I don't think it'll happen but I like the idea

Donato is bad too, less hope he figures it out. Q wasn't impressive but idk if I want out after 2 years and anyways he's making too much money to fire.

Ya Donato isn't really a huge upgrade over Borgstrom imo.
I know some have soured big time on the Artist but still think he can salvage his 3C opportunity or become a winger if converted.

He's got 4 years left @ $6mil so unless its the final year I don't see him leaving leaving within 2 years either.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

23 is interesting too, although it sounds like speculation? I hope it wasn't true for cap reasons...

23. Back in November 2005, Anaheim traded Sergei Fedorov to Columbus. The Blue Jackets then put Todd Marchant on waivers, where he was claimed by the Ducks. At the time, then-GMs Brian Burke and Doug MacLean claimed there was nothing fishy — “just a coincidence!” — but they are bad liars. Plus, they’ve now admitted it was set up to get around Marchant’s no-trade. Patric Hornqvist realized that Pittsburgh could have put him on waivers, and Florida was going to claim him. The Panthers wanted him badly.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Ya Donato isn't really a huge upgrade over Borgstrom imo.
I know some have soured big time on the Artist but still think he can salvage his 3C opportunity or become a winger if converted.

He's got 4 years left @ $6mil so unless its the final year I don't see him leaving leaving within 2 years either.
Yeah, I think Q is okay with it: He handled it well in Chicago last time ;)

I think the Donato rumor makes somewhat sense as does the Pulju rumor. I think the question is if Eetu surpassed Borgstrom on the depth chart and if we expect Lamikko to be back...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I think Q is okay with it: He handled it well in Chicago last time ;)

I think the Donato rumor makes somewhat sense as does the Pulju rumor. I think the question is if Eetu surpassed Borgstrom on the depth chart and if we expect Lamikko to be back...

Try Borgstrom at wing before fully giving up on the kid. If paired with good defensive players, still feel he can be a 15 goal/35-40pt player.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I think he’s top 6 or bust. I do feel we’re giving up on him prematurely here though.
We're a fan board...not necessarily rational ;)

I agree: I think we got super-excited after his college time and start of AHL after being disappointed about being drafted. I think he has a chance to be a top 2/3 center if he works on his defensive game, as we tried in the AHL this season.

My only worry is if he is committed to it, which is my fear.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think he’s top 6 or bust. I do feel we’re giving up on him prematurely here though.

He could hit 50pts with ample PP time but he's done what they asked of him, to add weight/muscle and be more defensively aware. If he shits the bed this year or crack a spot on camp with the door wide open then by all means he can go.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Another Florida news: What I'm hearing about the NHL offseason: Lundqvist, goalie deals, RFAs and more

• Multiple teams have called Florida about the potential availability of goalie prospect Spencer Knight. Multiple teams have been completely shot down. On the surface, it might make sense for Florida to consider it. GM Bill Zito is a believer in Sergei Bobrovsky and Bobrovsky is signed on a deal that averages $10 million per season through 2026. Knight was fantastic at Boston College last year and the No. 13 pick in 2019 is one of hockey’s top goalie prospects. Florida is going to have to sign him at some point and convince him he has a future in Florida despite Bobrovsky’s presence. It’s a tough situation but Florida is still really high on Knight and has no desire to move him at this point.

Curious what they're offering; got to think they must think Zito would trade him for less? I would only trade him for a top 10 pick in this draft...i.e. Lundell

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Another Florida news: What I'm hearing about the NHL offseason: Lundqvist, goalie deals, RFAs and more

Curious what they're offering; got to think they must think Zito would trade him for less? I would only trade him for a top 10 pick in this draft...i.e. Lundell
I would trade him for an equal center prospect or young proven player. No guarantee he's good in a reasonable amount of time, goalies are tricky from a development point of view, and we risk him not signing with us and becoming a sought after free agent.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I would trade him for an equal center prospect or young proven player. No guarantee he's good in a reasonable amount of time, goalies are tricky from a development point of view, and we risk him not signing with us and becoming a sought after free agent.
We’re not getting that though. Knight is arguably the best in his class. We need to get a Stutzle to get equal value.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

There is no reason to believe that he won't sign with us and we can handle it then. I get the fear of Bob, but even Carey Price was not ready to step in at 21-22 as the full-time guy. In some ways, we give him a softe option.

We’re not getting that though. Knight is arguably the best in his class. We need to get a Stutzle to get equal value.
Eh, I'm fine with the tier below Stutzle given needs and development time.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
There is no reason to believe that he won't sign with us and we can handle it then. I get the fear of Bob, but even Carey Price was not ready to step in at 21-22 as the full-time guy. In some ways, we give him a softe option.

Eh, I'm fine with the tier below Stutzle given needs and development time.
There's not a reason now but it's always a risk with college players.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
There's not a reason now but it's always a risk with college players.
Sure. I'm also sure that Zito is continuously talking with Knight.

I do get it somewhat, but heck we even have Bob's contract structured so we can trade him in year 6 for Knight ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad