Speculation: Official Rumours/Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2020-21 edition, Part II

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
A mid round pick is literally nothing.
Montour kinda sucks and needs to be sheltered too. He's a bottom pair guy with very little upside.
And this team has a very comfortable history with reclamation projects/late bloomers. Verhaeghe, Forsling, Vatrano, Bennett, Weegar...

Let's say Montour is looking at a 4m x 3y contract in UFA.

Would you rather have a bottom pair guy for 4m x 3y, or a bottom pair guy with top pair upside at 4.5m x 2y?

No upside? Sucks? Bottom pairing?

Cool.

Zito chose to give up an asset for Montour rather than take Ghost for free. So, chew on that.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Would you rather have a bottom pair guy for 4m x 3y, or a bottom pair guy with top pair upside at 4.5m x 2y?
Neither. I want someone making less than 1M
Weeg-Ek
Fors-Nuti
XX-Gudas + Yandle's buy out.
That's already expensive, let's not get another expensive Yandle chasing some upside when we should be looking at cheap high upside guys that need an opportunity.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
No upside? Sucks? Bottom pairing?

Cool.

Zito chose to give up an asset for Montour rather than take Ghost for free. So, chew on that.
i would have gotten ghost. he has an insane shot, is good defensively, is super fast is young and always wanted to play for the panthers and we were going to pick him in the draft, but phillie moved up in the draft ahead of us to get him.

Reactions: Pigge and kerrabria

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
i would have gotten ghost. he has an insane shot, is good defensively, is super fast is young and always wanted to play for the panthers and we were going to pick him in the draft, but phillie moved up in the draft ahead of us to get him.
Ghost isn't good defensively. He's Yandle light and signed for 2 more years at a cap hit that is about 2.5 million too high. HARD PASS

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if they try to bring Wennberg back also.

IF Lundell IS brought in next season, we could have Barkov, Bennett, Lundell, Wennberg as centers 1-4. I mean, thats just wonderful
The way Q has used Wennberg in every situation, he must really like him. He has a lot of the same qualities as Marcus Krüger in Chicago. So I'm sure Q would very much like to keep him around, but other teams may be prepared to pay more.

Reactions: harv33173

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The way Q has used Wennberg in every situation, he must really like him.

Or due to lack of better options. Now that Bennett is in the fold, Wennberg can be utilized as a 3rd line center which is a lot closer to his abilities.

There's no way he's coming back since his agent and/or Zito has to tell him what his short and long term prospects are with this team when Lundell going to join the rank in the next season or following one. If he likes to be a 4th line center while being accordingly then I don't mind that but he probably wants to have a better salary and minutes somewhere else.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Here's the question:

If you can get rid of ONLY Keith Yandle or ONLY Sergei Bobrovsky this summer in an acceptable deal with Seattle, who do you get rid of?

I think you gotta dump Bob, because his contract is longer. I think it's also more realistic to move him if you retain salary, since he's not bad, just grossly overpaid.

Bobrovsky easily just due to the length and size of his contract alone.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I wonder if they try to bring Wennberg back also.

IF Lundell IS brought in next season, we could have Barkov, Bennett, Lundell, Wennberg as centers 1-4. I mean, thats just wonderful
Probably: I think Bennett might eventually be transitioned to wing again sometime, especially if Lundell is 2C quality. That’s how I interpreted Q’s interview.

Wennberg for another season would be great; he might take an offer for a year if he wants to wait for a larger offer once the cap rises a bit

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Neither. I want someone making less than 1M
Weeg-Ek
Fors-Nuti
XX-Gudas + Yandle's buy out.
That's already expensive, let's not get another expensive Yandle chasing some upside when we should be looking at cheap high upside guys that need an opportunity.
Given the contract structure (5M dollar buyout in 2022-2023), id prefer trading him to a team of his choice with max retention (~3.175M) which is a lower cap hit than the average cap hit over next two years of buyout (3.75).

I think we could do it cheaply this way especially to a team like Arizona who might appreciate the intangibles

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Given the contract structure (5M dollar buyout in 2022-2023), id prefer trading him to a team of his choice with max retention (~3.175M) which is a lower cap hit than the average cap hit over next two years of buyout (3.75).

I think we could do it cheaply this way especially to a team like Arizona who might appreciate the intangibles
The need for a buyout was contingent on Seattle not picking Driedger. If they pick Driedger, we don't have to hurry and trade Yandle to a team that would need to protect him. In that scenario a trade would have been incredibly expensive imo.

Lundell will pay his dues in the AHL.
I doubt it. You'll have a really hard time convincing me that we'll have 4 better centers in the lineup next season.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
Probably: I think Bennett might eventually be transitioned to wing again sometime, especially if Lundell is 2C quality. That’s how I interpreted Q’s interview.

Wennberg for another season would be great; he might take an offer for a year if he wants to wait for a larger offer once the cap rises a bit

Not a chance. That was Calgary Bennett. Bennett would be slid down to "2C" the 3rd line before ever being placed on the wing. The onus is on Lundell to take Bennett's job, not the other way around. Ideally Florida rolls 3 scoring lines very soon, with a 4th that can chip in offensively as well.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The need for a buyout was contingent on Seattle not picking Driedger. If they pick Driedger, we don't have to hurry and trade Yandle to a team that would need to protect him. In that scenario a trade would have been incredibly expensive imo.
Arizona has excess spots iirc (only JC and OEL are signed right?)

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I could also see Yands waiving to go back to ARI.

I suggested OEL but he is more expensive and for longer than Keith. Still better however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad