Speculation: Official Rumours/Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2020-21 edition, Part II

avenger

Mar 2, 2021
absolutely wrong!!!!!! they are best friends and practice together during the offseason.

Laine trains with Rantanen in Turku ... they have their own coach. We played tennis with Barkov several times ... and if they are from the same city, this does not mean that they are "best friends" ...

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
CSKA lost to Avangard in the KHL finals, is there a chance to sign Mamin? We still own his rights, his KHL contract expires on 30th April. His stats looks pretty good in the last 2 seasons.
Reunite Mamin and Juho... actually Mamin had skill to be better than Marchment for example.

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
CSKA lost to Avangard in the KHL finals, is there a chance to sign Mamin? We still own his rights, his KHL contract expires on 30th April. His stats looks pretty good in the last 2 seasons.
I've said it before, it would be fun to see Mamin with Barkov and Gusev (or rather Verhaeghe when he is back). He just looks sluggish at times though, so I'm not sure he would actually be a great fit at the moment.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Even if we could bring him over
1) We're at the 50 contract limit
2) There's no reason to bring in yet another question mark forward for the stretch. ~10 is more than enough.

Reactions: Pigge and Ratsreign

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Even if we could bring him over
1) We're at the 50 contract limit
2) There's no reason to bring in yet another question mark forward for the stretch. ~10 is more than enough.
Even though I think he got a raw deal from Boughner, I have to agree with your second point.

Reactions: kerrabria

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
Seeing as I am new here, I apologize if it seems I am taking liberties, but can we have a thread dedicated to opinions that might otherwise derail the average GDT?

So here's some coming straight out of the oven:

-Next season's tandem will be Drieger and Knight...barring Florida reaching at least the ECF on the back of Bobrovsky. Bednard will be Charlotte's starter.

-Seattle will select one of Yandle, Bobrovsky, Stralman or Montembeault, and Zito will glue at least a 1st rounder to the pick in order to keep the rest of the roster intact. Salary retention is a given. Florida's 1st rounders from here on out should be in the 20s, so I don't care about using them to free this franchise of anchors.

-Viola will not be above buying out deadweight if that's what stands between this franchise and success. If you think we're stuck with Bobrovsky, et al, think again.

-Bennett will get a 4-5 year extension. He will never be traded, retire a Panther and be considered the 2nd greatest Cats forward...behind Barkov.

-Barkov will be enshrined in the HHOF.

-Weegar will be the next assistant captain upon Yandle's departure.

-Huberdeau will re-sign (sorry JLD).

-Montour will be re-signed. Sorry, Gostisbehere fans.

Reactions: CaptainScrewy

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Seeing as I am new here, I apologize if it seems I am taking liberties, but can we have a thread dedicated to opinions that might otherwise derail the average GDT?

So here's some coming straight out of the oven:

-Next season's tandem will be Drieger and Knight...barring Florida reaching at least the ECF on the back of Bobrovsky. Bednard will be Charlotte's starter.

-Seattle will select one of Yandle, Bobrovsky, Stralman or Montembeault, and Zito will glue at least a 1st rounder to the pick in order to keep the rest of the roster intact. Salary retention is a given. Florida's 1st rounders from here on out should be in the 20s, so I don't care about using them to free this franchise of anchors.

-Viola will not be above buying out deadweight if that's what stands between this franchise and success. If you think we're stuck with Bobrovsky, et al, think again.

-Bennett will get a 4-5 year extension. He will never be traded, retire a Panther and be considered the 2nd greatest Cats forward...behind Barkov.

-Barkov will be enshrined in the HHOF.

-Weegar will be the next assistant captain upon Yandle's departure.

-Huberdeau will re-sign (sorry JLD).

-Montour will be re-signed. Sorry, Gostisbehere fans.

Our board isn't moderated with a heavy hand, which is a good thing. Basically, anything you want to say that doesn't neatly fit into one of the other ~4 active threads goes into the most previous GDT. But feel free to create a Hot Takes thread if you want.

How do you think we'll get rid of Bob?

I agree that it's highly likely Zito has a deal in place with Seattle to take one of our bad contracts.

I agree that buyouts are an option, but I doubt we'll buy anybody out this summer. The consequential caphits are just too much for too long.

Bennett should sign a one-year bridge. That takes him to his final year of RFA, so after a full season of showing what he's got, he'll sign his long term contract. I think predicting what will happen 20 years from now is silly.

Barkov needs a cup, a Selke, and another Byng to get into the Hall, but I think he'll do that and more.

Right now we have five captains: Barkov, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Hornqvist, and Yandle. We know that Acciari is sixth in line because he's worn the A before. It wouldn't surprise me if Weegar gets the fourth A over Acciari, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Bennett got it, or if Q just does away with the 5 letters and sticks with Sasha, Ek, and Hornqvist.

I think predicting what will happen even two years from now is silly too. I have no idea what our winger situation will be when we need to make a decision on Huby.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Montour re-signed, but I hope he isn't. I want Ghost if he's cheap, but I think I'm the only one on here pushing for that.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
Our board isn't moderated with a heavy hand, which is a good thing. Basically, anything you want to say that doesn't neatly fit into one of the other ~4 active threads goes into the most previous GDT. But feel free to create a Hot Takes thread if you want.

How do you think we'll get rid of Bob?

I agree that it's highly likely Zito has a deal in place with Seattle to take one of our bad contracts.

I agree that buyouts are an option, but I doubt we'll buy anybody out this summer. The consequential caphits are just too much for too long.

Bennett should sign a one-year bridge. That takes him to his final year of RFA, so after a full season of showing what he's got, he'll sign his long term contract. I think predicting what will happen 20 years from now is silly.

Barkov needs a cup, a Selke, and another Byng to get into the Hall, but I think he'll do that and more.

Right now we have five captains: Barkov, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Hornqvist, and Yandle. We know that Acciari is sixth in line because he's worn the A before. It wouldn't surprise me if Weegar gets the fourth A over Acciari, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Bennett got it, or if Q just does away with the 5 letters and sticks with Sasha, Ek, and Hornqvist.

I think predicting what will happen even two years from now is silly too. I have no idea what our winger situation will be when we need to make a decision on Huby.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Montour re-signed, but I hope he isn't. I want Ghost if he's cheap, but I think I'm the only one on here pushing for that.

What's Ghost's appeal? No one wanted him off waivers

Reactions: Chaos2k7

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Here's the question:

If you can get rid of ONLY Keith Yandle or ONLY Sergei Bobrovsky this summer in an acceptable deal with Seattle, who do you get rid of?

I think you gotta dump Bob, because his contract is longer. I think it's also more realistic to move him if you retain salary, since he's not bad, just grossly overpaid.

Reactions: kerrabria

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
What's Ghost's appeal? No one wanted him off waivers
Nobody claimed him off waivers because no competitive team could afford to take on 4.5m in cap mid-season.
I like Ghost because he's a LHD who can give you 10g and 40p. He's had a rough past three years, but he was a top pair D before that. I think he could be a major asset if sheltered as the 5D. If you can get him for a 3rd Round Pick, you do it.

Forsling - Ekblad
Nutivaara - Weegar
Ghost - Gudas

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Here's the question:

If you can get rid of ONLY Keith Yandle or ONLY Sergei Bobrovsky this summer in an acceptable deal with Seattle, who do you get rid of?

I think you gotta dump Bob, because his contract is longer. I think it's also more realistic to move him if you retain salary, since he's not bad, just grossly overpaid.
If you're retaining under 3m on Bob, then you ditch him and it's not even close.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
Nobody claimed him off waivers because no competitive team could afford to take on 4.5m in cap mid-season.
I like Ghost because he's a LHD who can give you 10g and 40p. He's had a rough past three years, but he was a top pair D before that. I think he could be a major asset if sheltered as the 5D. If you can get him for a 3rd Round Pick, you do it.

Forsling - Ekblad
Nutivaara - Weegar
Ghost - Gudas

So he WAS a top pairing (past tense), will cost yet more assets, is older than Montour and needs to be sheltered, but is a better option than Montour?

Sure.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
So he WAS a top pairing (past tense), will cost yet more assets, is older than Montour and needs to be sheltered, but is a better option than Montour?

Sure.
A mid round pick is literally nothing.
Montour kinda sucks and needs to be sheltered too. He's a bottom pair guy with very little upside.
And this team has a very comfortable history with reclamation projects/late bloomers. Verhaeghe, Forsling, Vatrano, Bennett, Weegar...

Let's say Montour is looking at a 4m x 3y contract in UFA.

Would you rather have a bottom pair guy for 4m x 3y, or a bottom pair guy with top pair upside at 4.5m x 2y?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad