Official Player Inquiry Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Igor Volkov and Denis Grebeshkov

Can any one be kind enough to tell me how these NYI prospects are performing/have performed in the RSL?

Thank you...

Last edited:

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
any NHL ready goalies?

wondering if Noronen and Kosechkin or any other goalies (Barulin?) currently playing in Russia are likely to move over the pond next season?
I understand Norenen will be a ufa; I assume Tampa still owns Kosechkin's rights but will lose them if he doesnt sign with them by June 1.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
wondering if Noronen and Kosechkin or any other goalies (Barulin?) currently playing in Russia are likely to move over the pond next season?
I understand Norenen will be a ufa; I assume Tampa still owns Kosechkin's rights but will lose them if he doesnt sign with them by June 1.

I'd like to know Barulin's outlook as well.

I know that slitty, earlier in this thread, indicates that Barulin isn't ready for the NHL yet... but by the same token, slitty also says (on the Blues' forum) that Barulin currently has a save percentage above 94% in 15 games for Khimik, and a save percentage that high is damn impressive no matter what league you're playing in, or what your position (starter or backup) may be.

P_B

:bb:

Roger's Pancreas*

Does anyone think Denis Bodrov will be ready to take on a limited role in the AHL at the start of next season?

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
RE Bodrov - a limited role yes, but not anything beyond that at this point. He is having an ok season with Lada, but still needs time in Russia to develop for another year.

RE Parshin: Actually we added a scouting update for him on RP earlier today. The update was based on a few reports from the Super League.

RE Shirokov: It's always hard to tell with young players. He is doing very well in Russia, but this is his first strong season. It's not his last year of eligibility to come to NA, so he is likely to remain with CSKA for 2007-08, since Vancouver will probably offer him only a modest contract if at all.

RE Nikita Nikitin: I am actually very impressed with this blueliner. He has developed a lot over the past couple of seasons. His skating is still a bit weak - not too much speed here, but he sees the ice well and makes good decisions with the puck, which is more than I could have said for him earlier. He can make very good outlet passes. I like his size and how collected he is on the ice - a very cool customer in his own zone. I think this prospect has a lot of promise.

RE Kiril Koltsov: Absolutely one of the top talents on the blue line in Russia, but he can be a liability defensively. At times he stays longer near or behind the opponent's net than some forwards. This is a blessing and a curse for him, since he needs to play with right type of players who know his style and will back him up when necessary. It is also doubtful he'll be able to pull the same thing in the NHL as it will drive coaches crazy.
RE Goalies: Barulin is doing better now than earlier this season, but as the Sweden Games have shown, he needs at least another year in Russia. If this is his last year to be signed, then a year in the AHL could help, but he is not NHL ready yet. Koshechkin is closer and has shown good play in the Super League and internationally. Still, he needs to improve his mobility/quickness to be competitive in the smaller rink. It would be interesting to see him continue his career in the AHL next season, but I doubt he would sign on for AHL considering a price tag he would command in Russia.

RE NY Islanders prospects: Volkov is doing well again with HC Salavat and has been entrusted with an increasingly larger national team role. He started as a sub for injuries, and impressed enough to get his own spot at the Moscow tourney and at the LG games in Sweden.

Last edited:

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
RussianProspects said:
RE Nikita Nikitin: I am actually very impressed with this blueliner. He has developed a lot over the past couple of seasons. His skating is still a bit weak - not too much speed here, but he sees the ice well and makes good decisions with the puck, which is more than I could have said for him earlier. He can make very good outlet passes. I like his size and how collected he is on the ice - a very cool customer in his own zone. I think this prospect has a lot of promise.

RE Goalies: Barulin is doing better now than earlier this season, but as the Sweden Games have shown, he needs at least another year in Russia. If this is his last year to be signed, then a year in the AHL could help, but he is not NHL ready yet.

Thank you very much for the updates, sir.

P_B

:bb:

Roger's Pancreas*

RE Bodrov - a limited role yes, but not anything beyond that at this point. He is having an ok season with Lada, but still needs time in Russia to develop for another year.
Thanks for the reply. Looking at the depth chart, I can't see him getting a reasonable shot at being a regular so it would be in his best interest to stay in Russia.

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
Igor Mirnov and Alexander Nikulin... can anyone give me their contract situations and tell me if they have interest in coming to NA next season?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
RE NY Islanders prospects: Volkov is doing well again with HC Salavat and has been entrusted with an increasingly larger national team role. He started as a sub for injuries, and impressed enough to get his own spot at the Moscow tourney and at the LG games in Sweden.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Can you tell me a little blurb about his game (e.g. style) and his respective performance versus other RSL players his age?

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
RE Igor Mirnov - I think his contract expires at the end of this season. He actually tried to bolt from Dynamo earlier this season, but in the end stayed with the club. In any case, if Ottawa wants him, they better do a better job than they did last year and give him an enticing offer.

RE Volkov - we just posted a profile of his on RP - so check it out. In regards to how he compares, I would say he is a shifty winger with some good speed, who sees the ice well and triest to drive to the net. I would say he is one of the top guys on the larger ice in his age group, but will have trouble in a more physical game and would have to adjust.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Do you guys think that either Koshechkin or Barulin can become great?

I don't think Russia has had a great goallie since Tretiak, only a few solid ones.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
RE Volkov - we just posted a profile of his on RP - so check it out. In regards to how he compares, I would say he is a shifty winger with some good speed, who sees the ice well and triest to drive to the net. I would say he is one of the top guys on the larger ice in his age group, but will have trouble in a more physical game and would have to adjust.

"RP?" Where can I find that.

Once again thanks for that summary, good to read that he is mobile.

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
RP = RussianProspects.com - sorry for the confusion.

RE - Barulin/Koshechkin - neither one will be the next Tretiak. Both have a chance to be consistent NHL goaltenders - not household names, but get consistent ice time in the NHL. Barulin has the mobility and positioning, and just needs to get more ice time at the Super League or AHL level. He doesn't stand out particularly in any category, with the exception maybe in his mobility while in a butterfly and his willingness to skate far out to challenge shots, which could get him in some trouble. Koshechkin has amazing net coverage and is a capable skater for his size, but needs to work on his speed, as he still depends a bit too much on his size and not on his reflexes and his movement in the crease. There is hope however, since he has shown ability to react quickly and just needs to continue developing his game.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Just wondering about Kulemin.

What's his outlook for the NHL? Top 6? Power-forward Model? At the time he was drafted he was ranked a 6.5C by hockey futures, which puts him at around a 3rd line player. With his recent success at the RSL, putting aside the notions he was riding on Malkin's success his stock must have risen to that of a potential top 6 forward.

From what I've heard, and seen he looks like he could have a similar career to that of Kovalenko (50pt a year player, with a strong checking game).

Do any of you think he would play in the AHL if he was unable to make the NHL? From what I've read in his interview last year at the combine, he said he wants to learn the North American game but didn't specify at what level. His determination leads me to believe he wouldn't fuss about playing in the AHL.

But again, from what I've seen, and heard he'll probably make the team out of camp anyways.

Thoughts? Thanks in advanced, I'm really looking forward to him.

KES

Feb 14, 2007
RP = RussianProspects.com - sorry for the confusion.

RE - Barulin/Koshechkin - neither one will be the next Tretiak. Both have a chance to be consistent NHL goaltenders - not household names, but get consistent ice time in the NHL. Barulin has the mobility and positioning, and just needs to get more ice time at the Super League or AHL level. He doesn't stand out particularly in any category, with the exception maybe in his mobility while in a butterfly and his willingness to skate far out to challenge shots, which could get him in some trouble. Koshechkin has amazing net coverage and is a capable skater for his size, but needs to work on his speed, as he still depends a bit too much on his size and not on his reflexes and his movement in the crease. There is hope however, since he has shown ability to react quickly and just needs to continue developing his game.

What can You say about young Zhelobnyuk (Dinamo) and Gayduchenko (Lokomotiv)?
Both will be good in near futuer?

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Denis Grebeshkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWWallpaper
How is Grebeshkov doing these days? I wonder if he has developed enough to be a serious threat to make the team out of camp next year...

We have weekly stat updates on Grebeshkov but can anyone comment on his overall play this year?

Thanks

bossy22

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Vasyunov and Zharkov

Just curious as to how both Devils '06 picks Vasyunov and Zharkov have played thus far, and any other of the Devils Russian Prospects are doing thus far (Mikhailishin, Kadeykin, Klimov.....) Thanks!:)

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Guys,

I see that today's starting goallie for the Canadians was a guy by the name of Vadim Tarasov.

Is he Russian? What can you guys tell me about him?

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
Haha - I am sorrry but that was a ESPN or NHL goof. Tarasov was a prospect drafted by Montreal. He even came over for one year, but suffered groin injuries throughout that season and missed his chance to play in the NHL, even though it was there for the taking...quite sad actually. He is back in Russia now and while still a strong goalie, not what he used to be when he came to North America a few years back.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Just wondering about Kulemin.

What's his outlook for the NHL? Top 6? Power-forward Model? At the time he was drafted he was ranked a 6.5C by hockey futures, which puts him at around a 3rd line player. With his recent success at the RSL, putting aside the notions he was riding on Malkin's success his stock must have risen to that of a potential top 6 forward.
First off, even if it was regularly remarked otherwise on HFboards (after McGuire's quotes at WJC), last year he did play with Malkin only a part of the season.
I talked about 2nd line potential last year and of course now even more. I think he has a very good chance to be a pretty complete 2nd liner at the NHL level.

From what I've heard, and seen he looks like he could have a similar career to that of Kovalenko (50pt a year player, with a strong checking game).
Could be the case.. even if i guess he will never be that tanky.. and i wouldn't be surprised to see him be a bit more consistent along his career in the scoring department. I read different opinions on the matter, but personally, for what i could see since early last year, i've always liked his finishing abilities.

BrondbyDK

Mar 11, 2006
Denmark
Could someone give me an update on Dmitri Kazionov? He was drafted by Tampa some years ago and his states have become much better this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad