Official Player Inquiry Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Perfect Human*

I'm wondering if there's any Avangard fans who know Belov's game well that can fill me in on how he plays.

Offensively? Defensively? Powerplay? Puck-moving ability? Battle level along boards? Etc.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm wondering if there's any Avangard fans who know Belov's game well that can fill me in on how he plays.

Offensively? Defensively? Powerplay? Puck-moving ability? Battle level along boards? Etc.

I think a lot of guys have seen him a lot since Avangard is a big market team and played many many games in the PO. But since the game in the NA is so much different I don't think you can get a definite answer here.

Very good skater for his size, no problem there. Offensively he's good, he has a good shot, is a good passer and sound puck mover. I think these qualities of his are at the level of a top-4 NHL D-man already. It remains to be seen if he can survive in his own zone though because the game is much different in NA. If he learns to use his huge frame I can see him becoming a legit top-4 D but it will take some time. He can definitely be used on the power play but if EDM will use umbrella formation on PP he's not the best option because well, you don't see too many 6'4" D playing on it.

Long story short, he has all the tools of top-4 D but his ability to adapt to NA game will determine his success. But he will have to change his style, his mentality, play more games than ever before and take a lot more banging than ever before.. I would be surprised if he made an instant impact, patience will be required.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What will he bring to the oilers?

>>>>

He's a two-way d-man who basically led his team for the last couple of seasons. Without him and Rämö Avangard wouldn't get as close to the Cup as it did back in 2012. I'm not sure if he's able to fix the Oilers defense, but if you want to compare it to his role in another trainwreck of a defense, namely the Team Russia at this year's WC, he was the last person to be blamed.

I think a lot of guys have seen him a lot since Avangard is a big market team and played many many games in the PO. But since the game in the NA is so much different I don't think you can get a definite answer here.

Very good skater for his size, no problem there. Offensively he's good, he has a good shot, is a good passer and sound puck mover. I think these qualities of his are at the level of a top-4 NHL D-man already. It remains to be seen if he can survive in his own zone though because the game is much different in NA. If he learns to use his huge frame I can see him becoming a legit top-4 D but it will take some time. He can definitely be used on the power play but if EDM will use umbrella formation on PP he's not the best option because well, you don't see too many 6'4" D playing on it.

Long story short, he has all the tools of top-4 D but his ability to adapt to NA game will determine his success. But he will have to change his style, his mentality, play more games than ever before and take a lot more banging than ever before.. I would be surprised if he made an instant impact, patience will be required.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Two former Sens draft picks from Russia - Can anyone tell me where they are now?

i) Ruslan Bashkirov, 60th overall in '07
ii) Kirill Lyamin, 58th overall in '04

Couldn't find ANYTHING on Bashkirov, heard Lyamin was back in Russia.

Thanks

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
Two former Sens draft picks from Russia - Can anyone tell me where they are now?

i) Ruslan Bashkirov, 60th overall in '07
ii) Kirill Lyamin, 58th overall in '04

Couldn't find ANYTHING on Bashkirov, heard Lyamin was back in Russia.

Thanks

Bashkirov fell a victim of his father's ambitions to pair him with his (twin) brother Roman, who wasn't very good. They do play together now, but in the VHL and without positive outlooks for Ruslan in the future. Blame Canucks.

Lyamin signed for two more years with Omsk during this summer. He's doing fine there, but he also isn't someone NHL should really miss.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I have a bit of a historical player inquiry, I found an HC Rys jersey for sale on ebay. The listing says the jersey has the name ГРОТЬ on the back and is number 52. According to the post ГРОТЬ translates to Grot and in looking at EliteProspects the only Grot I can find is Denis Grot, but he did not play with HC Rys. Would he have been a preseason player for them?

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I did a quick search, can't find him ever playing for Rys'

I did too and came up empty. I am no longer winning the auction on eBay, so it isn't as big of a deal. I hit my limit at $100 US including shipping, so I am out. It was something I was going to buy on a whim.

I have to find me a good quality, non-sublimated Dinamo Minsk jersey that isn't over priced once shipping is factored in. I know I can probably order one from their webstore, but the shipping from Belarus would kill me.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
How would you describe Kaprizov and Zhukenov as players, and where do you think they should go in the next draft? Both of them look like very interesting prospects.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
I've been wondering why Kovalchuk has been struggling to score in the KHL these past couple of seasons. Is from a lack of effort or has he really regressed?

He looked like one of Russia's best players in the 2014 Olympics so I'm really confused about his lack of production in St.Petersburg

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I've been wondering why Kovalchuk has been struggling to score in the KHL these past couple of seasons. Is from a lack of effort or has he really regressed?

He looked like one of Russia's best players in the 2014 Olympics so I'm really confused about his lack of production in St.Petersburg

He cameto Russia for easier money and to give more rest to his body. He is frequently not playing, whether it is due to real injuries or to just rest - I dont know

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
He came to Russia for easier money and to give more rest to his body. He is frequently not playing, whether it is due to real injuries or to just rest - I dont know

Kovalchuk probably has less stress playing in Russia. He has not missed a game this season. Yet, he has played 1.21 minutes more than the closest forward on the team. More than 2 minutes more than every other forward.

Forgot to mention - he is playing 2.27 more minutes than any other forward in the playoffs.

http://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/267/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->