Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL! Pens Re-Sign Patric Hornqvist 5 x 5.3M

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
I also hate that people assume that a 31 year old ='s a 29 year old Horny. I mean it could, but there is a lot of risk with that assumption based on the abuse he takes night in and out.

Maybe I'm just glass half full, but if Tomas Holmstrom could still put up 30+ point seasons until he was 38, then I have no reason to believe that PH cannot do the same. Not counting his rookie season, where he spent time between the NHL and AHL and the lockout shortened season he has played less than 75 games once. Seems to be holding up pretty good so far. His skating may fall off a bit in a few years. So be it. He isn't the greatest skater now. He doesn't need to be for his style of play. Like I said maybe I am just glass half full.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Gmjr stays hot. I think there is always risk balancing young talent and leveraging the draft to provide production at a value cap hit. No easy answer.

But if our gospel, as long as Sid and Geno are elite, is to err on the side of having sure things (like horny for 3 more good years) vs ending up in a spot where young players don't pan out. I support it. It would be worse to be in a spot where we don't have the talent and need to truly overpay to get it, or worse can't get it.

Might be rose colored glasses but I have come to trust the pens talent MGMT and long term planning.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's hard to say "who", because I don't know what's out there. I do know we have a ton of wing depth in the organization, while conceding none of them does what Horny brings to the table.

Unless we are moving Sprong to LW (which they haven't even tried up to this point), how do we make room for either him or ZAR next season?? I just don't get the big picture that JR sees. Now was the time to go younger and cheaper on wing, especially since you have some real talent at the position.

I also hate that people assume that a 31 year old ='s a 29 year old Horny. I mean it could, but there is a lot of risk with that assumption based on the abuse he takes night in and out.

But why though? What are we saving that money for? What does us getting younger and cheaper on the wings do for us?

Our center depth is Sid, Geno, Brassard, Sheahan so it's not like we can say "use that money to get a better center". Our top 4 is Dumo-Letang, Maatta-Schultz all of which are locked into decent, longer term contract. Goalies we have Murray, Jarry, Desmith...so it's not like we need to spend money on a goalie.

I get the appeal of letting the young guys come in and show what they've got but using the guise "getting cheaper" makes little sense to me. Who does that money go to if not Hornqvist? I really think you are undervaluing the impact Hornqvist has (and has had) with this team.

I'm just at a loss when the argument is "Don't spend that money on Hornqvist...but I can't tell you who to spend it on...only that we need to get younger and cheaper. ZAR and Sprong can replace him". I just don't understand your argument.

Reactions: Aiastelmon

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I never said that. I'm saying it's risky assuming his health and play stay the same the next 3-5 years while locking 2 out of the 3 top 9 RW slots.

How is he locking out 2 spots? Also there are only 4 RW slots. Maybe I am reading something wrong. As for his health and style of play, I'll say again he has only played less than 75 games once and Holmstrom was still putting up points into his late 30s. So I am not worried there.

Edit... You are saying 2 of the 3 RW slots in the top 9? I follow now. Still don't get the locking out 2 of the 3 though.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I never said that. I'm saying it's risky assuming his health and play stay the same the next 3-5 years while locking 2 out of the 3 top 9 RW slots.

Horny's stat line has been incredibly consistent in his career. I don't expect that to drop off a cliff anytime soon AND we don't need his cap space with Sprong, ZAR, and Jake cheap for at least another year.

Also, if he's as injured as you think, Sprong will get plenty of time.

What would you use his cap space for instead?

Reactions: Aiastelmon

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Horny's stat line has been incredibly consistent in his career. I don't expect that to drop off a cliff anytime soon AND we don't need his cap space with Sprong, ZAR, and Jake cheap for at least another year.

I think what Horny brought to the team was needed and was a huge part of our last 2 cups. Change is good. Maybe ZAR and Sprong are exactly what this team needs to win moving forward. As it stands now and in the future, only one of them may get an opportunity.

Does Horny have an NTC??

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I think what Horny brought to the team was needed and was a huge part of our last 2 cups. Change is good. Maybe ZAR and Sprong are exactly what this team needs to win moving forward. As it stands now and in the future, only one of them may get an opportunity.

Does Horny have an NTC??
Modified NTC. 8 team no trade list.

Reactions: Kip Drordy

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Can I ask you why it's such an offensive position to take that maybe would should have moved on from Horny? I accept it's reasonable to have signed him, but isn't it also a reasoned position that I have?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Does Horny have an NTC??

I don't know why you are acting like Horny means no ZAR or Sprong next year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Can I ask you why it's such an offensive position to take that maybe would should have moved on from Horny? I accept it's reasonable to have signed him, but isn't it also a reasoned position that I have?

I love Horny and think he's a critical part of this core for the next 3 years. In that sense, no I don't think it's a reasonable opinion to move on when you don't need the cap space. Years 4 and 5, sure I get it, but I don't expect this team to be cup contenders then and if they are, it will require a fair amount of roster turnover anyway.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014

I don't think it's really an offensive position to take, just a lot of us disagree. But then how fun would a message board be if we all agreed?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think people are objecting to your reasoning. You said they should get younger and cheaper, but failed to explain how signing Hornqvist prevents Sprong or ZAR from breaking the lineup or where they could better spend that money.

Reactions: Shady Machine

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I have stayed consistent on Horny. He's a warrior, a great team guy. But this contract is terrible for the Pens. It's a speed game and within 2 years there will be a ton of regret about this signing.

Everybody loves what Horny brought us, but that's backward thinking.
Again, speed isn't that important for a net fronter. Once he gets there his game gets going.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I think people are objecting to your reasoning. You said they should get younger and cheaper, but failed to explain how signing Hornqvist prevents Sprong or ZAR from breaking the lineup or where they could better spend that money.

How does it not block at least one of them?? They are both top 9 projected forwards and we now have 2 of those 3 positions locked up.

Teams all around the Eastern Conference are going younger and faster, Toronto, NJ, Philly & the Rags to name a few. The Pens instead have decided to lock down the top end with all 30+ athletes that won't get faster as they get older.

At some point, the chickens will come home to roost. The only debate is when.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
How does it not block at least one of them?? They are both top 9 projected forwards and we now have 2 of those 3 positions locked up.

Teams all around the Eastern Conference are going younger and faster, Toronto, NJ, Philly & the Rags to name a few. The Pens instead have decided to lock down the top end with all 30+ athletes that won't get faster as they get older.

You're just overreacting.

This could be next year's roster:

Jake-Sid-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR-Brassard-Kessel
xxx-Sheahan-Rust
-Sheary traded or subs with Sprong.

How does Horny prevent that from happening?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Toronto has Marleau signed for two more years.

Philly’s offense is the same age as ours.

Jersey and the Rangers are rebuilding.

At some point Crosby and Malkin will be old. Letting Hornqvist walk has nothing to do with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad