Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL! Pens Re-Sign Patric Hornqvist 5 x 5.3M

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
As long as Horny plays sound defensively, not beaten on the rush all the time, I really do not think he will be a liability on speed so much. Malkin works well with Horny IMO because Malkin is so solid getting the puck to the net. Horny doesn't need to be fast, just mindful. I do wish Horny's hands were a bit softer around the net, but is what it is.
It certainly does limit the lines for a RW. 1st or 4th is it. Might not be the worst problem to have...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
How does it not block at least one of them?? They are both top 9 projected forwards and we now have 2 of those 3 positions locked up.

Teams all around the Eastern Conference are going younger and faster, Toronto, NJ, Philly & the Rags to name a few. The Pens instead have decided to lock down the top end with all 30+ athletes that won't get faster as they get older.

At some point, the chickens will come home to roost. The only debate is when.

You're just overreacting.

This could be next year's roster:

Jake-Sid-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR-Brassard-Kessel
xxx-Sheahan-Rust
-Sheary traded or subs with Sprong.

How does Horny prevent that from happening?

That could be our lineup RIGHT NOW

Do you not see the problem here? You say that Hornqvist is going to block ZAR or Sprong. Shady posted a lineup with ZAR and Sprong in the top 9. You say that could be the lineup now. So how is Hornqvist blocking them next year? You're not explaining your point or are refusing to admit you're wrong.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Do you not see the problem here? You say that Hornqvist is going to block ZAR or Sprong. Shady posted a lineup with ZAR and Sprong in the top 9. You say that could be the lineup now. So how is Hornqvist blocking them next year? You're not explaining your point or are refusing to admit you're wrong.

That is a very small part of importance with my opinion and ZAR is listed as an LW in that lineup, not sure if he can LW. More concerned with other issues around Horny which I have already listed in detail.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Because I wasn’t here for the Hornqvist+Spaling for Neal trade, here were my initial thoughts.

-Didn’t like the fact that we traded Neal for Hornqvist without the swap of our firsts(first glance).
-I then started to look up Hornqvist stats and highlights to see what kind of player he was, and I really liked what I saw.
-I thought Hornqvist could provided what we needed in the playoffs, grit and determination.
-I liked the addition of Spaling on top of Hornqvist for added depth, even though J believe we had to sign him to a new contrect(correct?).
-Overall, I liked it. JR provided us with more playoff grit and determination and depth, will not messing up the time. Hornqvist also had the same term as Neal.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Because I wasn’t here for the Hornqvist+Spaling for Neal trade, here were my initial thoughts.

-Didn’t like the fact that we traded Neal for Hornqvist without the swap of our firsts(first glance).
-I then started to look up Hornqvist stats and highlights to see what kind of player he was, and I really liked what I saw.
-I thought Hornqvist could provided what we needed in the playoffs, grit and determination.
-I liked the addition of Spaling on top of Hornqvist for added depth, even though J believe we had to sign him to a new contrect(correct?).
-Overall, I liked it. JR provided us with more playoff grit and determination and depth, will not messing up the time. Hornqvist also had the same term as Neal.

I wasn't a huge fan of the trade initially either, and that was mainly because at the time Neal was a 40-40 type guy and Hornqvist was not. Neal seemed like the more talented scorer, so I figured Nashville won that trade.

In retrospect Hornqvist was exactly what we needed. Maybe things would have worked out if we kept Neal, but that's a who knows. We know how things worked out with Horny.

Reactions: Shaffer

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens will always be top heavy due to contracts and caliber of players. so the success of the team is totally dependent on them. That is fine if your stars are not entering the golden age of hockey. The problem is the Pens have no alternative to Hornqvist after four years. The management simply won't move to a balanced team that can play somewhat heavy when necessary. Cole, Reaves, Oleksiak, Reese at least gave them that balance. Now they are softer in a sense and are not a hard to to play against. So once again the risk of the opposition being more open to taking some liberties is now back on the table. When will the physical play take it's toll? Who knows.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is this seat taken?

USATSI-269422-NHL+%284%29.JPG

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
How does it not block at least one of them?? They are both top 9 projected forwards and we now have 2 of those 3 positions locked up.

Teams all around the Eastern Conference are going younger and faster, Toronto, NJ, Philly & the Rags to name a few. The Pens instead have decided to lock down the top end with all 30+ athletes that won't get faster as they get older.

At some point, the chickens will come home to roost. The only debate is when.

We are in win now mode, which means we are trying to win, now. Our best opportunity to do that is with Horny in, not Sprong or ZAR. I have no doubt if they are both still with the team come next season they will be in the lineup, but their role may yes be reduced because of Horny, which is perfectly fine because he brings a unique skillset that is arguable the rarest in the NHL.
If having Horny means another cup or two for this team in the near future, you should be content with that. The chickens always come home to roost, Malkin and Crosby won't be playing in the NHL forever, when the day comes they retire, then yes the chickens will come home, and the era will come to an end. What you are proposing would not take full advantage of Malkin and Sid's prime years. Seems asinine to me.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I do think the worry about the physical deterioration of Hornqvist, while it is a concern, I don't think it is big one. At least imo. As the league is so much less physical these days. And that includes the net front battles. Oh there is contact and abuse, but as compared to past generations, it is so mild. The league has done a good job of eliminating the horrendous stick work of the past.

And there are corner battles, board battles, but even those are less these days. Open ice hits? Those are an endangered spices. Especially when every big one results in a scrum/fight. And players keep themselves in so much better condition.

So 5 years is a longtime, but I don't think Horny's body is going to just fall apart in the next year or 2, or 3. And maybe not even 4 or 5.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That is a very small part of importance with my opinion and ZAR is listed as an LW in that lineup, not sure if he can LW. More concerned with other issues around Horny which I have already listed in detail.

Uh, ZAR is a left winger? Maybe I'm crazy, but hasn't he been playing LW in his time in Pittsburgh?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Okay...I am absolutely lost on what your actual argument is.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad