Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL! Pens Re-Sign Patric Hornqvist 5 x 5.3M

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Talk about Twilight Zone . . .

My first posts in response to the trading of Geno's winger were (1) agreeing with @cheesedanish87 saying Horny would score more goals with the Pens in his first year than Neal would in Nashville (he did) and (2) agreeing with @td_ice that the deal was about making Sid and Geno better in the playoffs and not 10 more regular season goals and (3) agreeing with @NastyNick that Geno won an Art Ross and Conn Smythe before Neal came to town and Geno would be alright without him.

Meanwhile, @ColePens, who LOVES Horny dropped these two opening salvos . . .

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/87102339/
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/87104039/

Suffice it to say, I expected the opposite reactions . . . :laugh:

Option 1 - Someone moves to LW.

Option 2 - You know how it ends.

For the record - my buddy and I have wanted Hornqvist FOREVER on this team. We also wanted Nealer. And it ended up being a perfect situation for the pens when they got a winger AND Hornqvist.

Kessel + Hornqvist = Cup.

So I will defend myself. I have texts going back to when Nashville was playing w/ my buddy where we drooled over Horny. I'll make him sign up for HF to admit it. :laugh:

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
Really like the move but the unchecked abuse that Horny takes has me concerned that he will be injury riddled year in and year out...

Dude’s an absolute warrior out there and possibly a little psycho.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hornqvist-Shoves3748.gif

Reactions: SirBrad

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Really like the move but the unchecked abuse that Horny takes has me concerned that he will be injury riddled year in and year out...

Dude’s an absolute warrior out there and possibly a little psycho.

I mentioned earlier, he's had one 82 game season as a Penguins and has missed 18, 12 and now 12 (so far) games in the other 3 seasons. Probably will be more of the same - hopefully he can rack up at least 70 games the next 2-3 years.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
For the record - my buddy and I have wanted Hornqvist FOREVER on this team. We also wanted Nealer. And it ended up being a perfect situation for the pens when they got a winger AND Hornqvist.

So I will defend myself. I have texts going back to when Nashville was playing w/ my buddy where we drooled over Horny. I'll make him sign up for HF to admit it. :laugh:

I know you loved Horny but hated it deal, but that didn't come out until your third post in the thread and doesn't fit my narrative as well. :arr:

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
5 years is too long, but I'm sure that was a necessary sacrifice to get the AAV under $6m. I can live with it, especially in light of the money that was retained on Brassard.

It's also worth mentioning that Horny has the same cap hit as Tomas Tatar. Let that sink in for a moment. A player without a single intangible and similar, but often worse, production. Heh.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Oh for sure. And this site is designed that way so people stay fired up and argue and compete for likes. :laugh: It's like a little slot machine, hitting all the dopamine receptors.

I bet you I get more likes for calling you a doodoo head than if I wrote out a well thought out hockey analysis of Hornqvist's value to the Penguins.

Doodoo head.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com

I salute your passion, @ColePens. We like to make fun of "intangibles" because Blackhawks fans have ruined that term for everyone but since our last spirited argument I've watched Horny more carefully and I'd definitely say there's a lot of evident things that he does that we just don't track yet and the lengths he's willing to go to to win are kind of untrackable just because each tactic is unique. He is an animal and he's obscenely, maybe even irrationally, intense, and I love him for that.

On the contract itself, I think it's a marginal risk and I'm glad GMJR did it. I think any drop in Horny's performance in years 4-5 of this contract will be offset by the increasing cap.

I'm happy that Hornqvist will be a Penguin for 5 more years.

Reactions: ColePens

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ha, I don't even remember that.

He may have been one of my most hated Penguins ever.

:laugh: Whoa. I have a laundry list of players I place before Sutter:

Craig Adams
Tanner Glass
Shane Endicott
Chuck Kobasew
Rico Fata
Ric Jackman
Josef Melichar
Jocelyn Thibault
Rob Scuderi
Andrew Ebbett
Hell even Nick Spaling

Then maybe Sutter. I even tried keeping it to post lock out too. You want to hate some players, go to the post-Jagr pre-lockout era. Cesspool of hate there.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

Craig Adams
Tanner Glass
Shane Endicott
Chuck Kobasew
Rico Fata
Ric Jackman
Josef Melichar
Jocelyn Thibault
Rob Scuderi
Andrew Ebbett
Hell even Nick Spaling

Then maybe Sutter. I even tried keeping it to post lock out too. You want to hate some players, go to the post-Jagr pre-lockout era. Cesspool of hate there.

Which was worse?

The players, or the PR hack job we got from the coaches AND the (PR) media telling us how valuable they were.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

Craig Adams
Tanner Glass
Shane Endicott
Chuck Kobasew
Rico Fata
Ric Jackman
Josef Melichar
Jocelyn Thibault
Rob Scuderi
Andrew Ebbett
Hell even Nick Spaling

Staal was also an all time favorite. So I think I was a little salty on him before giving him a chance. I just hated his game, had no problem with him personally. Not saying he was #1, just that he was up there. At least 2 of the guys you mentioned won us a cup, more than you can say for Sutter.

What was to hate about Kobasew? He could be one of the most forgettable Penguins ever ha. Ebbett is kind of odd too, I don't think he played more than 50 games here?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I know you loved Horny but hated it deal, but that didn't come out until your third post in the thread and doesn't fit my narrative as well. :arr:

Btw.. I went back and read. I cannot believe I told the same story back then as I did now. At least you know i'm not bullshitting how long I've wanted Hornqvist on this team.

Reactions: KIRK

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I salute your passion, @ColePens. We like to make fun of "intangibles" because Blackhawks fans have ruined that term for everyone but since our last spirited argument I've watched Horny more carefully and I'd definitely say there's a lot of evident things that he does that we just don't track yet and the lengths he's willing to go to to win are kind of untrackable just because each tactic is unique. He is an animal and he's obscenely, maybe even irrationally, intense, and I love him for that.

On the contract itself, I think it's a marginal risk and I'm glad GMJR did it. I think any drop in Horny's performance in years 4-5 of this contract will be offset by the increasing cap.

I'm happy that Hornqvist will be a Penguin for 5 more years.

I think it's really important to differentiate between "intangibles" and intangibles. The former are a thinly veiled excuse to overrate players like Toews when no objective measure would ever place him as one of the best in the NHL. The latter are things that players do that have real value, but don't show up on the stat sheet. For example, Horny draws so much attention in front of net that he creates scoring opportunities even without touching the puck. There's no stat for that, but in many situations he's more deserving of an assist than the people who actually record assists. It's just a shame that some people have bastardized the term to the point that we reflexively roll our eyes when we hear the i-word.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The folks who wanted to slot ZAR into Hornqvist's slot this season aren't going to be pleased with this deal.

Well you are blocking younger options that are a lot cheaper. This will tie the Pens hands financially in the very near future.

I know people don't want to think about this because we all love Horny, but I like to look at the big picture and the Cap is most definitely going to come into play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad