OFFICIAL North Stars Thread

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
Would it be in bad taste to wear my North Stars jersey to the Wild/Dallas game on march 13?

Nah, I do it all the time..

If you scroll up to the top of this page, (errrr, I guess I mean to the top of page 4 now) you see me & my girl in our north stars gear at the Wild / Ducks game. Granted they weren't playing the Stars but I think the consensus is

North Stars or Wild Jersey = Minnesota Fan

Stars jersey = Dallas fan

of coarse there will be some exceptions but any Dallas fan that wears North Stars stuff has some allegiance to Minnesota or at least appreciates our plight.

sioux210

Dec 9, 2011
North Dakota
I actually asked the Wild once (via email)..

There's numerous reasons that it'll probably never happen...

For starters, Even tho the Wild organization knows how much alot of fans still love & miss the old North Stars (as well as their logo & name) the fact is that no matter how you slice it, the Wild are a totally different franchise.. The ONLY connection is that they play(ed) in the same state.. I know this is a poor example but it's almost like saying "I think the Islanders should wear an old Rangers jersey sometime to honor the hockey played in New York before the Islanders were around..."

The Wild are trying to establish their own identity & as much as us nostalgic fans would like to see a connection made, there really isnt one to make... Especially with the "Stars" franchise still a fixture in the league.. If the Stars ever folded there could be a chance but it's still not likely..

We're more likely to see the Stars bring it back as a winter classic jersey or use the old logo as a shoulder patch for like the teams 75th anniversary.. But even that is a stretch. Those jerks in Dallas basically erased the North Stars heritage.. There's nothing that infuriates me more than see all their "Stars, established in 1993" crap.. In my opinion if youre going to basically use our old name & secondary logo at least honor all your heritage. In my book it's all or nothing. Not this pick & choose crap they do..

I heard a rumor that a few years ago the Stars old owner (Hicks I think) offered Minnesota the option to buy back the logo & name rights so that the Wild could use it for throwback purposes but the Wild declined.. I have never had that verified but there was a good chance it did happen when the Stars started all their financial woes...

Trust me, it sucks.. I hate the Wild, well everything.. The ONLY reason I'm a fan is because they represent Minnesota. But I would do away with that name, jersey, logo, colors, everything in a heartbeat if I could.. Its grown on me a little & the logo is clever but I still think it's so cheesy & lame to be called "Wild" & wear xmas colors...

So ya, if there's anyone that wants that logo & name back, even if it's just for a single game, its this guy but it's very unlikely to ever happen... Modano throwing the old star capped N on & doing laps in our arena was probably the closest will ever get to seeing it take our ice again...

:cry:

sorry for the loooooong explanation.

i agree 100% its makes me so sad that dallas is like that they act like they were never in minnesota, and i love the wild but... ya name and logo im just not a fan of, i think the wild need to rebrand themselves, new logo and new colors atleast. every year when i buy the nhl video game i create the north stars and substitute them for the wild...its sad i know

sioux210

Dec 9, 2011
North Dakota
the wild are hosting the Minnesota North Stars Back on Home Ice tonight. i expect the wild to start incorporating the north stars into their organization more and more from now on.

also just saw this on the Minnesota wild facebook page regarding the wild wearing north stars jerseys in the future. sounds like its something the wild definitely want to do!!! :handclap:

Tony Miller
When can we see the Wild wearing some old school North Stars sweaters in a game?

Minnesota Wild "Tony, there have been ongoing discussions about this. It won't be this year, but it hasn't been ruled out in the future."

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
the wild are hosting the Minnesota North Stars Back on Home Ice tonight. i expect the wild to start incorporating the north stars into their organization more and more from now on.

also just saw this on the Minnesota wild facebook page regarding the wild wearing north stars jerseys in the future. sounds like its something the wild definitely want to do!!! :handclap:

Tony Miller
When can we see the Wild wearing some old school North Stars sweaters in a game?

Minnesota Wild "Tony, there have been ongoing discussions about this. It won't be this year, but it hasn't been ruled out in the future."

AWESOME

luxYp.png

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Part of me just keeps thinking that maybe they've got some big announcement regarding the North Stars name coming up with this "back on home ice" event.

I mean, if they change names to the North Stars, all they would have to do is bring back the old North Stars Jerseys for home and away, and do a slight retooling of the current Wild Green third jerseys to make them North Stars compatible.

Hell they could even change the North Stars green and gold colors to current Wild Forest Green and Wheat and I think it would look good.

Hey llama, feel like mocking up a few North Stars jerseys?

sioux210

Dec 9, 2011
North Dakota
Ugh no...this is a different team...let the North Stars die.

are you kidding??? whats wrong with honoring our past? Minnesota has a deep tradition of hockey and that is what the state is known for and the north stars were a big part of that. my guess is they'll do a north stars weekend every year like this year but they might start wearing north star jerseys for that one game to honor them. that would be an amazing way to honor them and all that they have done for our state. and we obviously will eventually get a winter classic and they will most likely wear north star jerseys for that

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Sorry I didn't specify...I'm completely fine with the North Stars in a throwback type role...every once in awhile it'd be nice to have a tip of the hat to the old franchise. But I don't like any talk of a name change or anything drastic of that nature.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Part of me just keeps thinking that maybe they've got some big announcement regarding the North Stars name coming up with this "back on home ice" event.

I mean, if they change names to the North Stars, all they would have to do is bring back the old North Stars Jerseys for home and away, and do a slight retooling of the current Wild Green third jerseys to make them North Stars compatible.

Hell they could even change the North Stars green and gold colors to current Wild Forest Green and Wheat and I think it would look good.

I did a wheat-on-forest N* like last season; I'll try and dig it up when I get back from class.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal

1wnWK.png

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI

I wont go into my old rant cuz you guys have heard it before but if that would have happened I would be the happiest hockey fan in the world. I hate everything that is the "Wild"..

It would just be so nice to have a name & jersey to be proud of again...

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
They did something about honoring George Mikan a few years back and the Lakers have worn the MPLS jerseys before.

Ya i was going to say that Ive seen LA honor MPLS but not the other way around yet... At least the Lakers remember their roots. Unlike Dallas. haha

What Im always amazed about is that no one out here seems to know why the team is called the "Lakers". haha

Thats like the time I was at a Ducks game in my North Stars jersey & a little kid behind me in line asked his dad "who's jersey is that?" & the dad told his son "Oh, that's umm, a college jersey from a team out East.." I turned around and said "It's a Minnesota North Stars jersey, they are the original Dallas Stars" After that (& I didnt say it rudely or anything) but then I said to the dad, "you could of just asked me.." haha

I still dont understand why he would just make something up when its obvious I can hear the conversation & Im literally less than 2 feet away! haha

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
Honestly, I don't blame Dallas for failing to embrace the North Stars legacy. It's not like the Twins celebrate Walter Johnson and the Washington Senators.

If there is one vestige of that franchise that I do believe the Wild should be salvaging, it is that N-star jersey. That is Minnesota through and through. I don't care if it was born under a different franchise. You will never see that make a comeback as an alternate in Dallas. The N-star and the Whaler-H are every thing a logo should be. It's a shame that those went extinct, when there's so many duds in the league right now. I whole heartedly support busting those out at least once a year (maybe one road, one home). Don't mangle it by trying to turn it in to an M or incorporating the current color scheme. The original will do just fine.

If it the 'N' is bothersome to anybody, just think of them as the Northland Wild or the North Star State Wild for those nights.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
Honestly, I don't blame Dallas for failing to embrace the North Stars legacy. It's not like the Twins celebrate Walter Johnson and the Washington Senators.

If there is one vestige of that franchise that I do believe the Wild should be salvaging, it is that N-star jersey. That is Minnesota through and through. I don't care if it was born under a different franchise. You will never see that make a comeback as an alternate in Dallas. The N-star and the Whaler-H are every thing a logo should be. It's a shame that those went extinct, when there's so many duds in the league right now. I whole heartedly support busting those out at least once a year (maybe one road, one home). Don't mangle it by trying to turn it in to an M or incorporating the current color scheme. The original will do just fine.

If it the 'N' is bothersome to anybody, just think of them as the Northland Wild or the North Star State Wild for those nights.

I like this idea.

WildFinn*

Idea, just have the letter W with the star on the top right. :naughty:
Will that brake the rules?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad