OFFICIAL North Stars Thread

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Any other North Star Fans feeling a little old tonight seeing Mark Tinordi's kid Jarred getting drafted?

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Nothing against the Wild, but lord do I miss the old North Stars. And I still sort of wish we could get the name back. I love the Wild, but it don't seem right to have a NHL team here in Minny not called the North Stars, lol.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
Nothing against the Wild, but lord do I miss the old North Stars. And I still sort of wish we could get the name back. I love the Wild, but it don't seem right to have a NHL team here in Minny not called the North Stars, lol.

I'm totally with you Blakk! It seems like Minnesota fans are completely split... HAlf say forget the North Stars, they're gone, move on! And the other half says exactly what we're saying...

As much as the Wild have meant to me, I'm still on the side for do whatever it takes to get the North Stars back in Minnesota... I think it was one of the classiest names & logo's in all of sports and it was just so perfect for the state of hockey.. Don't get me wrong, I'd miss the Wild now that it's been 10 years, but I'm all about the heritage of hockey, & the North Stars name coming back would be a dream come true for me... but sera, sera... It will probably never happen...

HOWEVER, I did hear a few rumors that the Wild are trying to get permission to wear the North Stars jersey for 4 home games next year... I don't know how or why for sure, but it was mentioned during a Wild radio broadcast during one of the final games of the season a few months ago... They also said they may be trying to bring back the Fighting Saints jersey for a few games as well. Kind of like a "tribute to Minnesota's Hockey" theme thing throughout next season... I don't know if it's true, but I would be stoked if it happened!

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
I'm totally with you Blakk! It seems like Minnesota fans are completely split... HAlf say forget the North Stars, they're gone, move on! And the other half says exactly what we're saying...

As much as the Wild have meant to me, I'm still on the side for do whatever it takes to get the North Stars back in Minnesota... I think it was one of the classiest names & logo's in all of sports and it was just so perfect for the state of hockey.. Don't get me wrong, I'd miss the Wild now that it's been 10 years, but I'm all about the heritage of hockey, & the North Stars name coming back would be a dream come true for me... but sera, sera... It will probably never happen...

HOWEVER, I did hear a few rumors that the Wild are trying to get permission to wear the North Stars jersey for 4 home games next year... I don't know how or why for sure, but it was mentioned during a Wild radio broadcast during one of the final games of the season a few months ago... They also said they may be trying to bring back the Fighting Saints jersey for a few games as well. Kind of like a "tribute to Minnesota's Hockey" theme thing throughout next season... I don't know if it's true, but I would be stoked if it happened!

Them wearing the old Saints and NStars jerseys would be pretty cool, I must admit! :D

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
a79krgm - Thanks for posting that video! I live in California & because of the time change I had to listen to the game on the radio. I heard them say that Modano was going to throw on the old North Stars jersey and I was waiting for somone to post it so I could see!

Anyway, on Wild Radio they mentioned that the Wild have something in the works to try & bring back the North Stars jersey! I don't know how they're going to do it or if it'll be a 1 night thing or an eventual 3rd jersey but it it was mentioned..

If I had to guess I'd say thery're are going to try and do some kind of Minnesota hockey tribute where over a few games and/or seasons they'll bring back jersey's like the North Stars & the Fightning Saints, etc.. I think that's the only way they can do it because it's not like we can just go & be the North Stars again.. It'll be interesting to see how they go about it. I know I'd LOVE a Wild 3rd jersey that's the North Stars colors & logo but with a Wild or state of hockey patch on the shoulders! (A Fighting Saints would be sweet too!)

Lastly, I gotta mention that when I was a little tyke, about 9 years old, my dad used to take me to North Stars games at the Met, and I'll never forget when my dad had me go stand by the tunnel and give high 5's to the players. Modano started into the tunnel, stopped backed up a step & gave me a big high 5. As a little kid I thought that was the coolest thing ever & he's been one of my favorite players ever since! Sad to see him go...

This would be sooo good for new jersey sales. I know I myself would have to go out and buy both jerseys (Saints, and N Stars) if the Wild could somehow pull it off, and use them as alternate jerseys. Or for special events.

Just reading this now, makes me think about at least ordering a vintage North Stars jersey, hmmm..:sarcasm:

As you can tell my post since a few days ago has got me thinking about this, lol.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If you get a vintage jersey, the only name number allowed on it anymore is #7 Broten! Burn anything #9!!!!!! ;)

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
To be completely honest if I weren't to put my own name on the back, I was thinking either Gilles Meloche, Dino Ciccarelli, or Basil McRae. Another one that came to mind was Steve payne who was another presonal favorite of mine of days gone by.

Broten is too obvious. I like to march to the beat of a different drum.

:yo:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Broten may be an obvious choice... but you will get complimented when wearing it to the X to no end! Trust me, I wear my Broten authentic to the X a few times/yr and constantly get comments from people loving it.

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Found this old awesome Basil McRae fight video. Damn the guy could throw down the gloves and duke it out with the best of them. The thing about enforces of that era, they usually could also play the game too, unlike most of todays tough guys.

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Being a little kid, growing up here in Duluth MN. 3 hours away from the Met, my parents being some what strapped for cash never took me to any North Star games. But it didn't stop me from becoming one of their #1 fans. I remember most nights when Mom thought I was in bed sleeping, I'd have my little AM radio on with the single little ear jack in my ear, so Mom wouldn't hear me listening to the games instead of sleeping.

She would give me a few quarters for a can of pop when I'd leave to go play little league baseball, and instead of buying pop, I'd "waste it, as she would put it" on buying a pack or two of Hockey Cards.

Playing hockey with a few of my friends pretending I was Gilles Meloche making all the big saves, just as he did every night.

Watching every game that rarely got televised up here in Duluth with my father making mental pictures in my head what every player looked like, and what numbers they wore, how they skated and played. So when I had to listen on the radio I'd better be able to picture in my mind the game, as All Shaver gave me all the play by play.

Ok I'll stop boring you now. It is nice to remember and talk about the past tho. Good for the soul.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
My father didn't either - hell, he still doesn't. Neither does my mom. But I do like to play it and they do like to try to take an interest in things I like.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
My daddy took me. Yes at that point he was my daddy.

We had season seats about 2 rows up off the glass right on the blue line & even tho I can't really remember specific games anymore, I remember specific goals & fights & I remember most of all, (which I may have posted on here before)

but I'll never forget back when I was a tyke & it was Modano's rookie season, after the game, my dad told me to go over by the tunnel entrance and stick my hand out. I remember getting a few high 5's but I was most excited for Mo to come off the ice, as he did he had his head down and walked past me & I remember a flash of big disapointment but just then he stopped, backed up a step & gave me a big high 5! I remember I was so stoked! I went running back to my day yelling "DAD! Mike Modano gave me a high 5!!! DAD DAD! he gave me a high 5!!" I remember I smiled the whole way home & I was so excited to tell my mom! haha

I also remember that my dad bought me a North Stars pennent on my way out and here's the cool part... My mom had recently sent me a box of my old stuff & it in was some of my old North Stars souvineers, in it was the pennant my dad had gotten me that game. On the back was written (in my mom's hand writting):

"November 4th, 1989 North Stars vs. Blackhawks, North Stars won 3 to 0. Brandon got a high 5 from his favorite player Mike Modano"

wow, that actually just made me really sentimental... I need to call my mom & tell her she rocks! haha

All of this & more is why I think it would be soooo cool to get Modano back to Minnesota for just one season... Something about the thought of Mikey coming back to Minny just makes me smile... I really hope it happens...

Tommyj214

Jul 7, 2010
I am still angry to this day about this! I was 10 when they moved to Dallas, i think this could be the underlying reason i am "not a fan" of texas, so much because i felt they took my team away. The state of hockey should have never been stripped of a team especially for the span of 7 years. however i am happy we do have the wild but it just isnt the same as the North Stars.

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Hello add that to the fact I'm even angry at Dallas for the Hershal Walker trade where they stole all our draft picks for what seemed forever. And I double hate Dallas!

Yeah I know it's our fault for accepting that trade, but it all happened at around the same time, and it seemed we were getting screwed over by Dallas every time we turned around. LOL

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hello add that to the fact I'm even angry at Dallas for the Hershal Walker trade where they stole all our draft picks for what seemed forever. And I double hate Dallas!

Yeah I know it's our fault for accepting that trade, but it all happened at around the same time, and it seemed we were getting screwed over by Dallas every time we turned around. LOL
Accepting the trade? The trade was Lynn's IDEA! The Cowboys were the ones who just did the accepting of it!

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Whatever dude, your getting too technical. It takes two sides to accept a deal.

Calm down, take a breath. You don't have to correct everything everyone says all the time, lol.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If it wasn't so dead around here overnight, I'd have other things to post about... but since that's all I was given... :laugh:

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Since we are talking about the Hershal Walker trade I did some searching on the web about it, and found a good article talking about how it all went down. I'll put a link below so you can see it too. But after reading it, it's pretty much the way I thought it happened, as in almost all trades between sports teams, there WAS a back and forth involved, and Dallas did end up talking us out of more draft picks than was originally offered. Yes Lynn was a moron for doing this deal. But as in most all deals, it was an ongoing effort between both teams, and Dallas did end up talking us out of at least 1 extra 1st rounder.

So even tho you tried to correct me on it, I wasn't completely wrong. And yes I can continue hating Dallas for any and all reasons I like, lol.

http://cbs11tv.com/local/Herschel.Walker.Trade.2.1240425.html

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
All deals involve a lot of back and forth. It was just over simplified originally when it was brought up, so the correction also came in the form of being over simplified. So I just corrected your correction of my correction. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00