OFFICIAL North Stars Thread

waltdorholt

Dec 3, 2008
Ive got a MELOCHE and a MARUK Cleveland Barons jersey. My favorite though, is the 1987 McRae road jersey.

waltdorholt

Dec 3, 2008
Heres a pic!
barons272-370x272.jpg

meloche_auto_2_-227x287.jpg

marukbarons-204x281.jpg

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009
Gotta be one of the best jerseys and logos in the history of the NHL.
Would've been so damn sweet if Minnesota could get the rights, oh well..

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
To be completely honest if I weren't to put my own name on the back, I was thinking either Gilles Meloche, Dino Ciccarelli, or Basil McRae. Another one that came to mind was Steve payne who was another presonal favorite of mine of days gone by.

Broten is too obvious. I like to march to the beat of a different drum.

:yo:

<--------- I made my choice long ago and I'm stickin' with it cuz Willi needed and needs his due. Wore it to one game down here in Carolina when the Wild came to visit a few years ago because an old Minny friend of mine came down for the game and we got drunk and nostalgic. Got plenty of compliments from Mn fans at the RBC Centre. I didn't feel bad because it wasn't exactly like rooting for the Wild against the Canes, and I had a Hurricanes t under it for insurance anyway :naughty:.

I didn't know this North Stars thread existed until I came over to see what you thought of picking up POS. :handclap::yo::thumbu: for you guys keeping the good stuff alive.

**** you Norm Green. You'll still suck even after you're on your way to hell.

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
What is in a name ? Curious about Wild v N Stars

As you might know the name the of new Winnipeg NHL team is a raging debate here. Jets not Jets, Embrace new name, Won't Embrace new name, I thought I'd ask here since you guys went through this not that long ago.

I heard a caller here claiming to be from Mineapolis that some of his buddies won't wear or buy Wild merch and will only wear N Star jersey's etc, but do go to games and support the team.

Initially how was it recieved ?

Was there a backlash at all ?

How about now are some still not happy ? Everyone a Wild fan or are some pining for the N Stars name ?

I understand the stars still exist so it's a little different in that the Jets name does not exist. I myself am open to new name but I totally understand those that don't.

Just curious to hear how fans of a franchise that has been through this feels and what you'd do.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
As you might know the name the of new Winnipeg NHL team is a raging debate here. Jets not Jets, Embrace new name, Won't Embrace new name, I thought I'd ask here since you guys went through this not that long ago.

I've gotten into this numerous times, and I can't say how much of the majority I speak for but I know theres definitely a good amount of people who agree on some level...

I heard a caller here claiming to be from Mineapolis that some of his buddies won't wear or buy Wild merch and will only wear N Star jersey's etc, but do go to games and support the team.

I own 2 Wild jersey's (One the Wild away jersey & the new green one, both gifts btw)
I rarely wear either of them. I LOVE that Minnesota has a team again & I will always love the Wild for being Minnesotas team but with that said. I HATE them.. I think we look like a joke of a team. I hate our colors, I hate our name, I hate our mascot, I hate our shoulder patches. Basically they disgust me. I feel no pride what-so-ever in putting a Wild jersey on. I'm actually pretty much embarrassed to put a Wild jersey on.. The logo is clever & the green one is definitely a step in the right direction but ya, total FAIL in my opion.. (Ok, alot of people don't feel as strongly as me on that last bit but thats how I feel...) btw, we all love our Arena but that doesn't have much to do with the team but I wanted to throw that in quick.

I Almost always wear my North Stars gear & I still often buy North Stars throwback t-shirts & long sleeves, hats, etc. I think the North Stars name & logo & colors were some of the best in all of sports... I would take the North Stars everything over the Wild anything any day of the week...

Initially how was it recieved ?

I don't remember anyone being thrilled and most people were just like "ummm ok I guess" but seriously, we were all soo stoked to have a team again that at that point getting them on the ice was all we cared about & also out of the names we had to choose from Wild was sadly the best. I would have supported Northern Lights tho too. haha

Was there a backlash at all ?

I wouldn't call it "backlash" just alot of mild confusion by the choice & grumbling about how it sucks we couldn't be the North Stars again...

How about now are some still not happy ? Everyone a Wild fan or are some pining for the N Stars name ?

I would take the North Stars name, logo & colors back in a heartbeat. team Identity my ass. After one season people would be used to it and happy. I just think that the gold & green with a star capped N is vastly superior to christmas sweaters with a Christmas ornament on them.. Again, the logo is clever but it's no north stars logo!

The issue lies now with the fact that it's been too long. You'd be splitting the generations of fans.. Anyone born in the last 15 years really only knows the Wild as the team. If it was right away or a couple years in probably no problem to make the change, but now it's a bit more complicated...

As someone else said, I would honestly be happy just owning the rights & being able to have a north stars logo shoulder patch & maybe do a throwback jersey every few years for some games BUT all the puriasts have issues with that "because the Wild & the North stars are not connected" well I say we're connected by being Minnesota hockey. I don't care that it's technically not the same franchise.. Either are the Browns or if the Thrashers become the Jets. I dont see the big deal.. I say it's a waste to have no one honor how awesome that logo, colors & jersey are..

Hell, even if Dallas is the one to bring it back then fine! Just someone use it! It's too good to waste...

I understand the Stars still exist so it's a little different in that the Jets name does not exist. I myself am open to new name but I totally understand those that don't.

Kind of but not really.. My argument is that theres a Red Sox & White Sox.. no issue. A Blues & Blue Jackets.. no issue. Hell, there's 2 teams both called the Admirals in the AHL. Are people really trying to suggest that a North Stars & Stars would be too confusing? If thats the case then thats sad... Again, look at my examples.. Both baseball teams are referred to as "the Sox" and it works just fine.. People make things too complicated..

I really hope you guys get to be the Jets again. And although the franchise is technically in Phoenix now, who cares!? is my opinion. If you guys like the Jets name take it back! I wish we had the testicular fortitude to do the same! haha I would love to see the Jets sweater around again and for the record I'd be jealous that your franchise did what we didnt do. Took your rightful name back...

Just curious to hear how fans of a franchise that has been through this feels and what you'd do.

It sucks losing your team. It rocks getting a new team but the patience waiting for them to be good sucks (lucky for you guys you're not starting from scratch) Also,there's a certain frusteration that comes with not being called & looking like how you want to look but all in all it's really not as big of deal as I make it out to be, I just want a jersey I can wear & be proud of & I am just NOT proud in any way shape or form to be a christmas colored team named after our scenic outdoors.. which as someone else pointed out, our outdoors don't hold a candle to the beauty of our division rivals in Vancouver, Colorado, & Alberta Canada (Oilers & Flames) so the irony there is pretty funny... Yes Minnesota is beautiful but more beautiful then Vancouver or the Colorado rockies...? I think not...

And for "what I do" aka, How do I cope? I complain on message boards to anyone who will listen...
;)

Last edited:

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
North Stars Rememberance?

Just looking at the Jets name and history being debated with regards to Winnipeg getting a team back.

I got to thinking about the Wild-North Stars.

This is the most recent example of a city losing their team and getting it back, but another team, within the time frame where a substantial amount of fans exist from the previous franchise.

Seven years is nothing, and I've read many North Stars fans were pissed the new team were called the Wild. I also hear there's no shortage of North Stars apparel available in Minnesota.

How do modern Wild fans take this?

Add to the fact the North Stars weren't a poor franchise in the least making two Cup Finals and two Conference Championships in a 12 year period.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
Hey man, someone just asked this the other day & anything with the words "North Stars" in it gets moved to the north Stars thread up in the sticky threads. Just go to page 3 in the North Stars thread and you'll find at least my answer.. Most peeps here seem to be sick of getting asked so here's the wuick response- its a 50/50 split.

Yes we miss the North Stars but were used to the Wild now...

ps- I still hate the Wild... I love that Minnesota has a team but hate the "Wild"

see North Stars Thread, page 3.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The team had not choice, the North Stars name was property of the Dallas Stars.

Is it? The parallels to that would be the Quebec Nordiques, Hartford Whalers, and Winnipeg Jets.

Its been reported that the NHL owns the rights to the Jets name, not the Coyotes, so I would be interested in knowing if they also hold the rights to the Nordiques and Whalers, as well as knowing for sure who actually owns the rights to the North Stars.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
Is it? The parallels to that would be the Quebec Nordiques, Hartford Whalers, and Winnipeg Jets.

Its been reported that the NHL owns the rights to the Jets name, not the Coyotes, so I would be interested in knowing if they also hold the rights to the Nordiques and Whalers, as well as knowing for sure who actually owns the rights to the North Stars.

As far as know, this is what happen(s) or happened:

The Winnipeg Jets - When the left for Arizona the franchise had the option to buy the name & logo rights with the move, the declined so the NHL owns the rights. A new team can now be the Jets & use the logo if the NHL agrees to sell them to said team.

The Hartford Whalers - When the Whale moved to Carolina, the people of Hartford made a rider in the contract that the city of Hartford got to keep the name & logo rights so that if they got a new team they could still be the Whalers. They held on to the rights for almost 15 years, or since the team moved, In that time Hartford chose not to allow NHL merchandise companies to use the name or logo. Hence why it was so tough to find a legit whalers jersey/ merch for a while. Just last year the lease was up on the rights to the name & logo. Hartford chose not to renew, hence the NHL now owns the rights and again allows merchandise to be created & sold, wa-la, that's why all of a sudden last season you started seeing Whaler merch all over again. The people had the right idea but they never got another team & they failed to capatalize on the money they could have been making if they allowed for merchandise sales.. live & learn I guess...

The Dallas Stars - They were supposed to change names & logos to the Lone Stars.. However they never found a logo design that they could agree on & they also felt the name "Lone" didn't make sense in a team sport. Well moving day for the North Stars came & Dallas decided to just drop "north" (However the Stars are still TECHNICALLY the Dallas North Stars, like I said, they just dropped "North") and since they did this they just decided to keep the North Stars 3rd jersey since it just said "stars" (the stars primary logo for years, the one where the "A" is the top of the star) they just added "Dallas" to it & go from there.. For almost 15+ years the Stars wore a variation of the North Stars 3rd jersey hence they bought the rights to the name & logo & have owned them ever since... As far as I know Dallas make money whenever we buy North Stars gear still but I believe they only get a small cut..

There has been talk that Dallas has offered to sell the name & log back to Minnesota because they said they most likely will not need it again & in selling the team it's just an unneeded charge unless the new owner is die hard to keep it but I don't know if there's any truth to that rumor...

hope that helps...

Quebec Nordiques - As far as I know the same thing as the Jets, Colorado didn't opt to purchase the old name & logo so I believe the league owns it although Colorado may get a cut when Nordiques gear is sold. I'm not positive on how that split works tho (if it even exisits)

Last edited:

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Thanks se7even and for your passion to explaining all of this.

It's true about splitting the generations, the Jets and Nords name has survived because no other team has come in to provide another option, though the Moose I guess tried.

I do feel bad the North Stars weren't able to get their name back after only 7 years but the team in Dallas makes sense to the name Stars. Maybe would have worked out better if Colorado got the team as they would have probably opted out of the Stars name.

I feel the Jets name is in less conflict especially since Phoenix is on life support. Like some have said if Phoenix gets moved to Quebec, the Nords would likely reappear and the Yotes name would die. So then the Jets would be brought back by default ( retired numbers ).

So even if TNSE chooses to call the team the Moose for example, if the Yotes moved to Quebec 2 years down the road I'm sure Peg fans would push it even further.

Also I may be speaking out of line but it seems Jets jerseys have gone far bigger than North Stars jerseys and with all this waiting I certainly feel much of the fans coming to the games in 2011 will be wearing Jets gear regardless.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
side note, check what is my collection now! Game Worn Enrico Ciccone

106_0191.jpg

106_0192.jpg

106_0195.jpg

106_0196.jpg

I called Rich at Drops The Puck and he gave me exciting news. My sweater was worn during preseason time and then was given back to the equip manager who then sent it back to Steichen's. the owner of Steichen's sports here in MN held onto that and the white one that was on Ebay in his personal collection for the longest time. The two sweaters went on sale on Vintage Authentics but the buyer never paid for them, the guy who sold them on Ebay had them for a while and then put them up for sale.

The reason there is no 25 year patch is because the Stars didn't start wearing those until the middle of the season, and that Steichen's put the 25 year patches on all of the game worns they got back in the store regardless of the set number making sense. So I lucked out having it untouched by the 25 year patch.

75 year patch was likely ripped in a scrum or fight during the preseason. I was also told that 91-92 was the only year they wore Ultrafil as they had been wearing Air Knit before and then during the last year when they were here.

Needless to say, I am pretty stoked about this!

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
Ok, I'm sorry & I know some of you guys are probably sick of me ranting about this but now that it's official that Winnipeg gets to be the Jets again! I'm pissed that Winnipeg gets to regain their lost team "even tho they're a completely different franchise" but yet we have to still be the "Wild"!! How come they get their name back but we have to have the stupidist name & colors in sports!?

Here's the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...was-the-right-choice-for-True-?urn=nhl-wp7916

From Russo:

Russostrib Michael Russo
Since the #wpgjets are allowed back into #NHL, #mnwild may as well change its name to the #northstars tonight

I know alot of you guys don't care as much as me but I can't stress enough my hatred for our name & color combo...

I feel like Minnesota got screwed, we should of never been allowed to be sold in the first place knowing we were getting moved. And we should have been able to get our name back.. We were told no on both cases.. Now teams like Phoenix are fought for like crazy to not get moved & teams like Winnipeg get all their heritage back even tho it's a totally different franchise!! How is that fair!?

God I HATE being the stupid "Wild" so much... Worst name in all of sports. Im pissed.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
btw- I just wrote Gary Bettman an email.

I asked if it would ever be possible to be the North Stars again, just out of curisoity. And if it was possible, what Minnesota would have to do to make it possible?

I know it will never happen but I'd love to see a response of any sort...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad